CASAA: NYC Flavored E-cig/Liquid ban

http://blog.casaa.org/2014/10/call-to-action-new-york-city-is.html

On October 7, 2014, Councilman Constantinides introduced an ordinance that would ban the sale of flavored e-cigarettes and flavored e-liquids in the five boroughs. As is often the case, flavor bans like this are poorly researched and fail to account for the fact that practically ALL e-liquid is “flavored”. Furthermore, this ordinance fails to carve out an exemption for dedicated vapor shops, allowing sales by tobacco bars only.

In short, this would mean the end of vapor sales in New York City as we know it. The ordinance has been referred to the Committee on Health, and it is possible (if not likely) that this proposed ordinance will be heard in committee on Thursday, October 23, 2014. Tri-State area advocates are strongly encouraged to plan to attend. (We will update this Call to Action as additional information becomes available.)

We are asking advocates in the Tri-State area to please contact NYC council members on the Health Committee and thoughtfully express your opposition to this ordinance.

NYC residents can follow the link below to find your council members and contact them directly as well: http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.shtml

Residents are encouraged to call and meet with their council members. Please feel free to contact board@casaa.org for tips and guidence with talking to lawmakers.

Please share this Call to Action with anyone you know who lives or works in New York City. In fact, share this with anyone you know who might feel inclined to visit the city.

Participation in this Call to Action is NOT limited to residents of New York City, but if you are not a resident, please edit the letter to share what relationship you may have with New York City (for example, you have family or friends who live there, you plan on visiting, et cetera).

Also, please note that the CQRC campaign sometimes glitches and resets, and, if so, you may lose any edits you make to your email. If you are editing the email, you should consider editing the letter in a word processing program and then copying the final product into the CQRC program.

Hopefully it does not pass. I called/e-mailed everyone I know in NY to vote against the proposed ordinance. I live in California and I know they sell fruit flavored Swisher tobacco in liquor stores and gas stations (oh, the irony) . So I asked relatives to take pics of them for sale in NY, if there are any, and send it to their council members.

IMO, this is the first step for BT to have their way and ban open systems. so all we have are cigalikes.