Coughing

JayLa

It could be the way you're vaping. Try taking a shallow draw into your mouth, hold it just a bare second before inhaling. Vaping, while similar to smoking, is a little different. You just need to readjust how you're doing it. Once you get used to it, you can readjust the way you vape to suit yourself. :)

High PG ratio juices and high Nicotine level juices will sometimes make me cough... especially in the mornings or if I've not had enough water to drink during the day (dry throat to start with). Even my dripper (running 50/50 PG/VG @ 6mg nicotine) will make me cough from time to time, especially if I take a full lung-hit, rather than my usual mouth-to-lung hits, like I do on my tanks.

Analogs have an anesthetic effect... they numb the throat and bronchial tubes, which reduce coughing and the burning effect of all those toxins entering your body (yes, another evil device of big-tobacco to keep you smoking), which is why smoking with a sore-throat always felt so good... and if you think about it... your first analog of the day usually made you cough, but the second, third... twentieth of the day didn't!

Changing to a higher VG content of your juice, drinking more water, and changing to mouth-to-lung draws will reduce your urge to cough (usually).

When you say mouth to lung hit, do you mean draw it in and hold in mouth before inhaling? Also, I've tried different types of e cigs. Is there one that mimics maybe the warmth of the real thing?

When you say mouth to lung hit, do you mean draw it in and hold in mouth before inhaling? Also, I've tried different types of e cigs. Is there one that mimics maybe the warmth of the real thing?

Yes, mouth to lung is the same as what I described in my post above. Take a draw into your mouth, hold a sec and then inhale. :)

You might want a tank that has the coil at the top like a Vivi Nova. That will give you warmer vapor but also can give you dry hits if you aren't diligent about keeping the wick wet.

I actually prefer a cooler vape just so I don't cough. The hotter the hit, the more it will dry out your throat. A dry throat (or a high nic level) will make you cough. I used to wrap sub ohm coils (in the .5-.8 range). Now, I rarely wrap anything less than 1 ohm. I also added more length to my drip tip. (I have an authentic CherryVape tip plus a longer CV clone. At home, I even stack them.)

High PG ratio juices and high Nicotine level juices will sometimes make me cough... especially in the mornings or if I've not had enough water to drink during the day (dry throat to start with). Even my dripper (running 50/50 PG/VG @ 6mg nicotine) will make me cough from time to time, especially if I take a full lung-hit, rather than my usual mouth-to-lung hits, like I do on my tanks.

Analogs have an anesthetic effect... they numb the throat and bronchial tubes, which reduce coughing and the burning effect of all those toxins entering your body (yes, another evil device of big-tobacco to keep you smoking), which is why smoking with a sore-throat always felt so good... and if you think about it... your first analog of the day usually made you cough, but the second, third... twentieth of the day didn't!

Changing to a higher VG content of your juice, drinking more water, and changing to mouth-to-lung draws will reduce your urge to cough (usually).

How the heck do you do a mouth to lung rip on a dripper? lol my Doge has so much airflow I like just can't mouth to lung it just straight lung hauls.

How the heck do you do a mouth to lung rip on a dripper? lol my Doge has so much airflow I like just can't mouth to lung it just straight lung hauls.

That was my point...

Even my dripper (running 50/50 PG/VG @ 6mg nicotine) will make me cough from time to time, especially if I take a full lung-hit, rather than my usual mouth-to-lung hits, like I do on my tanks.

With reduced air-flow, it is possible to do a mouth-to-lung hit on an RDA, but you also reduce the vapor production, obviously, which defeats the purpose for most people. :)

However, on the lowest air-setting on my Magma, it IS possible to mouth-to-lung... it's just not overly satisfying on vapor production... but if the RDA were my only device, it would be a viable way to reduce the coughing issue caused by PG/nicotine/excessive-vapor.

My RTA (Russians), I treat them like a Kanger tank and mouth-to-lung them... and get PLENTY of satisfying flavor/vapor (far more than my AeroTanks, even though they're running similar coil resistances), and the air-flow is not restrictive, but not nearly as open as my RDA.

Most of the time (but not always), I do lung-hit my Magma... but, I'm not sub-ohming it to 0.1 or 0.2 Ohms, which would require heavy air-flow... my Magma (at the moment) is running dual-coils @ 0.85 Ohms, which works well for me with reduced air-flow -- I'm not a cloud-chaser -- which is why I'll normally grab my Russian or my Kanger tanks long before I'll pick up my RDA :)

Ah i got you. I'm not really into cloud chasing either. I just like the full, warm hit an rda provides. Plus I like kicking it on the couch and just playing with it fogging the room up. but idk I find the taste better from an RDA. but it's all suggestive to the person.

more like draw it into your mouth, stop vaping on your device and inhale it. Makes for a smoother "hit"

I used to do the same with analogs so it was just a habitual method for me...

Ah i got you. I'm not really into cloud chasing either. I just like the full, warm hit an rda provides. Plus I like kicking it on the couch and just playing with it fogging the room up. but idk I find the taste better from an RDA. but it's all suggestive to the person.

My GF gets annoyed with me chilling on the couch choochin on my kayfun lol... one or two hits and there is a large lingering haze floating around the room obstructing her view of the TV. :D

She vapes too but her juice is mostly PG I think...it really doesn't produce much visible vapor at all, but the flavor is ridiculously strong...don't even need to fire it to smell/taste that crap (she vapes menthol burst by volcano.) even out of a kayfun her juice produces very little visible vapor.

my juice on the other hand makes clouds of vapor... (miss white by alpha)

Edited by Mr Smith

Ahh interesting topic. I've gone into occasional coughing paroxysms for some till now unexplained reason. Very seldom but it has happened. I thought this was perhaps part of the really long term baby step healing process. I know you can't recover (in my case) 50 years of smoking overnight. I also know I'll never have lungs like before I started, but they do keep getting better. But whenever I have a coughing fit I seem to be at the pub and the smokers around me always say, "HA! I told you so!" I poo poo them because I know how I feel compared to when I was smoking, so HA! to them. Anyway I started paying attention to when these coughing fits happen and it seems directly related to anytime I change something like a new battery to an old tank, a new tank with an old battery, or a sample of a different brand of juice, or even clean the tank. Just anything different might bring on a fit of coughing. Not every time, but noticeable. If everythink is consistent for days or weeks, no coughing. Go figure. Hope that helps a bit.

When I first started to vape I used to inhale I would cough as well. I believe it was the way I was smoking it. I was taking too deep of breaths and inhaling the smoke too deep in my lungs. Try taking more shallow hits and with a lesser strength. Maybe it will get better!

• 1 month later...