I am done with Kayfun

That title rhymed and I didnt even try, I'm a poet and didnt know it.

Anyways, Kayfun was my first rebuildable that I got back in April, I was in love with the thing back then and when it worked, it worked great. However, it would leak, I would get dry hits, I just could not get any consistency out of it, but I was happy to have a tank that I could get good flavor out of without dripping. Lately though, I've come to the conclusion that I would rather just carry my stillare everywhere I go with a bottle of juice in my pocket to avoid the leakiness of the kayfun. Seriously, I would walk from an air conditioned building into the hot sun and that would cause it to leak. It just gets annoying. I used to be like some of the other people on here that say they don't want to get into dripping because it seems like a lot of work blah blah blah, let me just shed some light on it from my point of view. Dripping is not too much work, and the time that it does take to put a few drops of juice on your wick is well worth the sacrifice of a few seconds. Flavor is leaps and bounds above your standard tank RBA. I know a lot of people feel the same way as I do about this, but maybe some people that are getting annoyed with their tank RBAs and are on the fringe when it comes to just setting them aside will read this and gain another perspective.

Rant and rave complete. Sorry, but I had something on my mind and just needed an audience, but some feedback on how you feel about this topic would give me some reassurance that I'm not insane.

I have two Russian 91% and a Magma... Yes the flavor and vapor from the Magma are VERY good, but the Russians are also quite good with flavor and vapor, but I care less about vapor anyway. A couple of my flavors taste like garbage from an RBA/RDA, but are wonderful in an AeroTank or KPT2. For this reason, I'll continue to use RDA (mostly at home), RTA (home and travel), and clearomizers (when size matters, and for traveling where I don't want expensive equipment damaged/stolen)....

Both of my Russians leaked on the first or second fill, but each have a "personality" and after rebuilding and figuring out that I needed a bit less wick and a bit more air-flow, they work FAR better now, even when moving from A/C to 100-deg heat @ 90% humidity. So far, I've only had my newest one dribble a few drops from the air-flow port after the initial leakage issue, and I'm sure I over-filled it that time!

9f4576849ac612f7995edbbfd6d3fb5a.jpg

Get yourself one of these for carrying it around! It's great! Fits the mod and juice bottle perfectly! I usually don't put it in freshly dripped since I don't want leakage. That's just by habit though I'll have my drags until I dry hit And then I'll put it in my pocket or this thing. Pockets got too packed with a wallet mod and juice bottle plus the slight chance of sitting and bending the 510 threads or something worries me. I baby my devices but I want them to last... With that thing I don't need to baby or worry about them anymore!

I have a kayfun clone and since day one have used Pbusardo's wicking technique with no leaking issues. The only time it has leaked was when I tried the top fill method. I may not have done it quite right, but since then I've only used the bottom fill port and now issues. I should mention I use 50/50 or higher liquids.

As far as temp etc.. goes, It's been fine on the boat or in the a/c in the house. I do try to keep all my divices out of direct sun when it's hot out.

Edited by fishguy1123

I was at the vape shop yesterday and the guy that works there showed me his orchid RTA, I tried it out and really liked it. Mainly because there was very sufficient airflow and it was set up for a dual coil.

How'd u like the orchid? I've been thinking of getting one unless there is not much of a difference from the kayfun.

Yap, they can stress you out.

But persistence is the name of the game with these things I think. Iv not had big issue`s with leaking, Unless Im being lazy or stupid. If I space out and lay it on the side that`s got the air hole facing down, i`ll get it starting to bleed out, but otherwise its leak free. But it was always having a hard time with the way I huff and puff. I like the sinus burn and did the same thing with cigars. Could`nt do that to much as it would eventually dry hit, Yuck.

Well, last weekend I got into Rip Trips Double barrel build and tried it. I`m running it on a Vamo so I had to shot for 1.3 Ohms, and after putting another wrap on the coils I got there. So its 2 coils, 11 wraps each of 33g on a 1/16 drill, both fitting perpendicular to the mounting screws, just like Trips. This gives me four wicks, which are pretty tight in the coils, and then they go out crossing each other in a "U" shape and get locked in to the bell this way. That was last weekend. Hits like perfect, best hit Iv ever gotten from it, vapor is immense for a kayfun, best vapor ever. I can huff and puff through 5-6-7 hits, keeps on given it to me, LOL. And the flavor is right up there with my dripper. I have`nt had a single dry hit yet, run about 4 tanks trough it so far.

I mean to take pics of it as soon as I can and get them in the coil builds thread as soon as I get the time.

Cheers,

R

I played with building a few of them for 2 months never got to the point where I was comfortable enough it would start burning cotton to leave the house with one.

IMHO they are poorly engineered.

All the benefits and none of the negatives can be found in the magma, its the Kayfan RDA done right.

to lostsoul: I really liked the orchid, havent bought or built one yet, but when I tried my friends I was on board

to vapehappy: Before I started dripping, the double barrel coil was my favorite build on the kayfun, but this was back before I started having all the problems with them. I used 80% VG and went leak free for a long time, but something just happened lol, maybe I was just getting too comfortable and rushing through my builds, I'm not sure. It may be worth revisiting.

it's all in how you wick them and set the airflow.

The wick can make or break the build.

too short of a wick will cause leaks. too much wick or too little airflow will cause dry hits.

too little coil surface area with too much wick will cause burnt wick...

I suggest finding a build that works best for you and stick with it.

The build I have been liking and running a little while now is a 2mm, 26G, 0.5ohm single coil with some organic cotton going straight through the coil and fluffed out ends going down to the juice ramps.

sometimes I mess up the wick and it floods, or I put too much and it doesn't draw worth a crap. but 90% of the time I nail it and it works beautifully.

I leave home every day with it and vape it all day long without any issues. I usually change my wick out every 2-3 tanks now. used to change it every tank because I was burning wicks but I got that sorted out by using thicker wire with lower ohms for more surface area..

thanks for the tips smith. I rebuilt it with 26 guage and organic cotton, but im getting a really tight draw. Just need to adjust the amount of cotton I have in there and I think it will be sorted.

does your KF have adjustable airflow? and how are you building yours?

I need to start taking pics of my builds again lol. I haven't taken a pic of my single coil builds since my 32g 1.6ohm builds for the vamo.

This was a 32g 1.6ohm build:

20140712_233941_zpsa56c93c5.jpg

This wick will kinda give you an idea of what to do, but it is also an example of something that would cause a leak...

I basically was just using scrap pieces of cotton as wicks to test flavors from the KFL+ using it as a dripper. a normal build for me would have the wick slightly longer to where it covers the juice ramps.

the upper right area is closer to what it should look like, but still would need a little bit more wick to work properly... gives you an idea though.

20140712_232531_zpse64aa92a.jpg

and again I use 26g now @ 0.5ohm so that is about 4.5 wraps. The 32g build was for my vamo because at the time I didn't have a mech mod to fire a sub ohm build.

Edited by Mr Smith

it does have adjustable airflow, its opened up all the way and my build looks very similar to that one just thicker wire. the wicking looks identical though.

edit: I wish i had it on me I would send a pic, but ill bring it to work with me tomorrow.

Edited by charles vapor