Rewicking a Kanger Coil Head

Compenstine

I was doing a favor for a friend and thought others may benefit from this. I took pics as went to help it make sense.

I know some of you rebuild your Kanger coils as do I. I have 4 ATM in my rotation that I have been dry burning and rewicking since April. All of them are still going strong and have not had to replace them yet. I have a build that I do that is durable, produces nice vapor, and good flavor. It is a 1.2-3ohm bulid using Twisted 32g round and .5 Flat wire @ 8x7 wraps. This twist is a mico tiger coil that will fit in a Kanger head and be usable on most any battery safely.

To do the coil you will need:

32g Kanthal

0.5 Kanthal

16g blunt needle

Electric Drill (To twist the wire)

Tweezers (for crimping)

If you do not already build coils or are wanting a further explanation on this, I will do a step by step, pic by pic on building the coil later.

Once you have a rebuilt coil, the trick in keeping it going is the re wicking. I do not advise this for a OEM Kanger head. You will find it difficult and in most cases end up damaging the coil anyway. This is meant for a rebuilt head and in most cases uses a heaver gauge wire Kanthal than the OEMs.

Lets get started.

To rewick the coil you will need:

Tweezers

Organic Cotton or Japanese Cotton

E-Liquid or straight PG VG

This coil is one that I just built and dry burning is not needed. If you are doing a rewick take your tweezers and carefully, pull out the old wick. Some times the wick can be fuzed to the coil with gunk. In this case, just burn off the old wick as you will be replacing it anyway.

Remove a small amount of Cotton from your cotton ball

gallery_1116_216_25559.jpg

Roll it loosely on one end roll it tight to make it easy to thread into the coil

gallery_1116_216_29772.jpg

Take your tweezers and pull it through the coil making sure it moves freely but not loose. If it is to loose you will get leaking. If it is to tight it will not wick well and you will get dry hits. NOTE: Pay close attention to the coil and make sure it is not touching the side of the coil head. This will cause a short.

gallery_1116_216_7226.jpg

gallery_1116_216_2848.jpg

Trim off the excess cotton on the end you used to thread the cotton in the coil. Cut it off at the edge of the coil head.

gallery_1116_216_607.jpg

Once this is done take the longer end and fold it over the on top of the coil. This will be your favor wick. If you have used to much cotton it will cause a harder draw when complete. Sometimes you need to twist it a bit so it fits nicely in the grove of the head. Make sure when you fold it to leave extra cotton beyond the coil head. This will be trimmed later.

gallery_1116_216_1623.jpg

NOTE: This is when you want to juice up the wick. take a few drops and wet the wick. This will do two things. It will prime the wick. and protect it from burning off with the first couple hits. It can also help in folding the wick and placing it in the coil head groove.

Now place your chimney back on the head. This will hold your flavor wick in place.

gallery_1116_216_10835.jpg

Now it is time to trim up the wick. Trim both sides of the wick using your edge of the coil head as your guide.

gallery_1116_216_4093.jpg

Your done :D install the newly rewicked coil and Vape.

Your Welcome Tam. :)

Yes that is a twisted micro coil that I described at the beginning of the post. :) It is a smaller version of the Tiger coil. It gives the higher resistance to use on any APV and fit in a KPT head. If you were to try this with the 28g round and .9 flat wire it wouldn't fit in the small space you have in a KPT head.