How can I test the waters of rebuildables

radnate

I've been reading tons, but I am having trouble figuring out my next move.

I have a vamo v5, a few Protank 3's and a Davide. I want to feel out lower ohms, building coils, and enjoying giant smoke.

I can't really afford to jump right up into a nice mech mod and a rebuildable. Is their a good way to upgrade a few pieces at a time.

Can I get a rebuildable and run it on a vamo? I think I could go to 1.1 ohms on a vamo, would that be a big improvement, or do I need to get a mech mod first and then work up the rebuildables?

I feel like this question must have been asked 1000 times before, but I haven't found the answers.

Thanks for your help

You can run an RBA on a regulated mod, including the vamo, no problems. You don't need a mech mod for that, although some would argue a mech mod would be the best mate to an RBA. Hell, im currently sitting in my parents living room, visiting with my dad as I puff on an IGO-M on a VS dna 30 at 22 watts on a .8 dual coil.

That is reassuring, I was hoping I could play around with something rebuildable, before dropping a bunch on a mech mod.

I want to upgrade to the full deal, but I might have to do it over a month or so.

This way I can maybe learn the ropes, before going to crazy with the ohms.

Any ideas for my next step. maybe an entry level dripper that would play nice with a V5.

I was in the same boat as you. I could have dived in head first, I just didnt want to spend that kind of cash on a maybe. Dont get me wrong, a RBA on a mech is an amazing experience, but it is also good on a regulated mod. Just remember, you dont need to sub ohm to get a good vape on an apv. Thats the whole point of regulated mods!

Thanks Heldar!

Any suggestion on an easy RDA to start with? I have no idea how to figure this mess out.

I feel so confused with all the info I have. I just want to go on the right track.

I have no idea even where to start.

maybe someone could give me an idea where to start. I am hoping to spend $40 to $70 on my first step.

Thank you guys for walking me thru this

I'd suggest a kayfun clone as imo they don't do as well sub ohm like an rba does.

Plus they should work best with current juices you own as most people prefer high VG in a rda.

It will most likely become you favorite atty and can go anywhere with you being a sealed tank, most rda's can usually only be home bound do to the needs of dripping.

Kayfuns are easy to find, look for the kayfun lite plus.

Personally I'd look for a matte Russian 91% clone as I like the looks better.

Most run from $25-$40 and you will need organic cotton or rayon which is synthetic cotton wich I highly suggest as wicks.

Seattle Vapor Company has both of those cheap and ready to use.

I'd suggest a 25'-50' of 28gauge and 32 gauge kanthal. Lightning Vapes is my goto place for kanthal. They have tons of good rebuilding supplies there also.

Thanks Heldar!

Any suggestion on an easy RDA to start with? I have no idea how to figure this mess out.

I feel so confused with all the info I have. I just want to go on the right track.

I have no idea even where to start.

maybe someone could give me an idea where to start. I am hoping to spend $40 to $70 on my first step.

Thank you guys for walking me thru this

If you're starting with an RDA I'd suggest some research into what you want and what you can do as far as airflow. Using an RDA requires good airflow or you're going to get a very harsh hit. Do you want one that has adjustable airflow or are you okay with drilling it out yourself?

Before you start buying any supplies, make sure the first thing on your list is a dedicated ohm meter. That's very important to make sure you're safe. Do not rely on an APV to read ohms of a coil correctly and accurately.

Next is the wire. 28, 30 and 32 gauge A-1 Kanthal is a good start.

Organic cotton is a popular choice for wicking material.

High VG juice with lower nic level is also another thing you'll need. For example I regularly use 12 mg nic at 50/50 when I direct drip with an atomizer and also use in my tanks. In my RDA I use 3 or 6 mg nic, 20PG/80VG. If I don't drop the nic and increase VG, it feels like my throat's getting ripped out and I get way too much nic at one time.

Other things you may need are tweezers with insulated grips, drill bits or a Qcoiler to wrap your coils, good eyes, nimble fingers and lots of patience. A good mini torch is very handy but not entirely necessary.

Good luck! :)

I would second the kayfun lite clone and some 32G kanthal wire.

wrap 6.5 times around a 5/64" drill bit and center it on the deck. Make a nice 1.6-1.8ohm coil that will fire in a variable device just fine and near instantly. The thinner wire heats far quicker than the thicker wire making it not take a while to get a good amount of vapor from the coil.

Once you get comfortable with building single coils at 1.2ohm+ you can step up to a mech mod and try a more difficult dual coil build (more difficult with a kayfun anyway since you are limited on space and only have 2 posts unlike most drippers) and go for sub ohm.

You may just decide you like it as is and not change from single coil as a single coil with 32G at 1.6ohm works amazingly well!

I would suggest whatever you get, make it a single coil for now. With the Vamo`s 1.2-1.3 ohm limit, it makes it easier to stay with in that figure with one coil. As has been said, a KF will run just fine on a Vamo as long as you build your coil above 1.3 (mine gets real picky below that and will not fire if it drops to 1.2). My Vamo is topped off with a Kayfun Light and I run it between 1.3 and 1.6 ohm, and it does very good.

FWIW, I started rebuilding kanger coils first, it makes the jump to the KF pretty easy.

Then when you get the hang of that, you can drop the cash for a mech and just build a suitable coil on the KF and be having some real fun.

Cheers,

R

Thank you guys.

I think I will get some wire and wick first and try my hand at rebuilding some kanger coils, then move up to a KF when I'm more confident. This seems like it would be the safest way to test the waters and see if I'm ready to jump in head first.

there are quite a few youtube videos out there that will help you with building coils.

wicks are a sinch.

tools that make the job easier to build coils:

tweezers

wire cutters

dedicated drill bit for coil building 5/64" (you don't want to use a dirty drill bit, and the bit is cheap. bought mine for $3 at the hardware store)

scissors (for trimming the wicks)

butane pen (soldering) torch or a small propane torch to heat the wire prior to coiling it. (not absolutely required, but it definitely makes coil wrapping a LOT easier)

lastly an ohm reader for vape coils (your vamo will work)

if you get a kayfun clone it will come with a screw driver that will fit the post screws.

Then you just need the kanthal wire and some cotton balls!

most people recommend organic cotton. you can pick up a bag of 88 organic cotton balls for $4 at walgreens and it will last a VERY LONG time. Wire is best gotten at a vape shop.

I highly recommend 32G wire for use with a vamo and shoot for 1.6ohms.

If using a mech mod then go with 28G wire and shoot for 0.8ohms.