Conversation With An Fda Employee

I had a conversation today with a gentleman who works for the FDA. He said the FDA is looking at the e-cig as a whole as a drug. I was a little confused and asked him if in future they might allow the e-cig to be sold seperately from carts, since the major issue the FDA has is with the carts. He said no because they are looking at it as a whole. This doesn't make sense to me so I asked him about the funny looking pipes you can buy at cigarette stores. They are obviously used for illegal drugs, so why are they allowed. He stated its because they are tobacco pipes (Yeah Right :rolleyes: ) This all be old news to you vaping veterens but I'm starting to get very confused. :wtf:

Your confusion is understandable (oxymoron?). For me when trying to understand government regulations / laws I tend to stick to the Golden Rule, those who have the gold make the rules. Tobacco is big business, they have entrenched themselves into our government through lobbyists and political donations, and if they see a product as threatening their sales it makes sense they would do anything they can to stop it. Those glass pipes they sell at "tobacco" shops do not cut into their profits... e-cigs just may.

If the unmentionable were to come to pass--vapers being such a diverse and creative group--we will find ways around things. The only thing I know for certain--I can never go back to smoking and I refuse to give up vaping.

Happy Vaping

I agree, regardless if it becomes banned here in the states, I'll still order from China!

Unfortunately those laws will prohibit you from purchasing from China. You may be able to find a supplier that is willing to sell you the item, but if customs confiscate the items you'll be out the money with nothing to show for it. Staying on top of the new proposed legislations and voicing your opinion to your government representatives is really the best defense against this right now.

As GBUD said if they outlaw ecigs although you may able to get them from China and although you may actually get everything passed customs I guarantee if they slap some big laws down nobody is going to want to take the risk. Sure there are those that will still do it but will you risk going to jail or paying a $250,000 fine?

I think forums and power by numbers really help. The reason the tobacco company has the power it does essentially is because of the amount of people who purchase from them, if we get the same type of numbers behind is in the ecig world, guest what? Ecig lobbyists. And let me tell you, if Vapor Talk every goes Marlboro status, you can bet your *** we'll have Vapor Talk lobbyists

@ Gdub - "Golden Rule - Those who have the gold make the rule "

Classic, I dont know if Ive been living under a rock, but Ive never heard that one, and I LOVE it. Its SOOOOOO true. it goes to my belief that we have not had a TRUE election in this country for 50 plus years. EVERY elected official in office right now BOUGHT his position. It boils my blood that we refer to campaign contributions as "war chests". Find me a truly poor man, an honest hard working man who is eeking out a living breaking his back and getting his hands dirty, and Ill show you a man who has ALL the right ideas to fix this country.

if they outlaw ecigs although you may able to get them from China and although you may actually get everything passed customs I guarantee if they slap some big laws down nobody is going to want to take the risk. Sure there are those that will still do it but will you risk going to jail or paying a $250,000 fine?

The FDA's mandate (as per the FD&C Act) only applies to drug products/medical devices etc...marketed in the US and the entities that market them(i.e. the suppliers); not to actual consumers. The only entities, therefore, that the FDA could find culpable and assess penalties to, would be the marketers(suppliers). The FDA does not have the power to outlaw ecig products outright; only to make illegal their marketing in the US. It would take an actual act of Congress(or individual State Legislatures) to make the e-cig products illegal to possess by private individuals. So, even if the FDA outlaws e-cig marketing in the US; as long as individuals can get products through customs from China, they can legally own and possess them.