Battery Died after coil rebuild

noodlesauce

Hello,

So I bought my first ecig set up about two weeks ago. I got the (http://www.ecigrex.com/kanger-evod-usb-650mah-passthrough-battery/) evod 650 passthrough.

I really liked the battery and it worked awesome. The passthrough feature is great. It came time to get some new coils so I decided to buy some Kanthal and Wick.

I rebuilt a coil and took a few hits, worked fine. I then put the battery in my pocket for a while and when I tried again the button didnt light up and it was not working. I read that it could have shorted out and drained the battery so I charged it and the indicator light (for charging) worked. So I knew it had power. The button still gave no indicator light and no vapor came through. I tried a number of things from reading online and pretty sure the battery is shot.

So does anyone know what I may have done wrong? or was that battery just a POS? How can I avoid this in the future?

I bought a new one online already. It is a joye ego c upgrade passthrough 1000mah. (http://www.myvaporstore.com/Joye_eGo_C_Upgrade_Passthrough_900mAh_p/ego-c-uptxl.htm)

Thanks!

I would probably just buy pre-made coils until you gain sufficient experience to rebuild. I do not rebuild but see threads like this on a daily basis. Do you have an ohm meter? I think you need to be at least 1.5 ohms to get a standard Ego battery to fire. I am not an expert on rebuilding but only two weeks in I am not so sure trying to rebuild is the best or safest thing to do.

Maybe some of those that rebuild can chime in here, but you may have burned the battery up by having too low a resistance in your coil. This is, again I think, the exact thing that can cause a battery to explode and it is better to have 2 hands than 1.

Did you check the ohms on the rebuilt coil? I don't think those batteries can handle ohms below a certain level. Probably around 1.2 - 1.5 Ωs minimum. Just a guess, but I would check the ohms on the rebuild before putting it on your new battery… Best of luck!

Did you check the ohms on the rebuilt coil? I don't think those batteries can handle ohms below a certain level. Probably around 1.2 - 1.5 Ωs minimum. Just a guess, but I would check the ohms on the rebuild before putting it on ANY battery… Best of luck!

FYP. Not checking ohms of an atty before vaping it is about as smart as handling a rattlesnake drunk.

I'd say it's a good bet the coil you built wasn't correct as others have stated. If you want to learn how to build coils then the dedicated ohm meter is a must. Followed by a solid understanding of the battery/device you own and its limitations. Ohms law is important, and you can even get apps for your phone to make it easy to get the info you need to determine if it's safe and apropriate to use for the device you have. Nothing wrong with wanting to learn, just let us help you with the process before something happens that may cause injury. For now, I wouldn't use the battery anymore, and only use stock, pre built coil heads to be safe.

or maybe ya just need to hit the button five times fast to turn the batt. back on hehehehe

Believe me I tried everything.

But thanks for everyone's input I'm going to grab a meter and hopefully I will get it right. Buying the prebuilts will get expensive over time and seems like a waste.

Can you tell us more about your process in building the coils? I understand you are looking at getting an ohm meter, but any other info you can give will help. We can and will do our best to give you the help, but it's gonna have to be a 2 way street here. Thanks

Prebuilt coil prices come no where near the expense of a hand or a plastic surgeon if it blows up, you have to crawl before you walk. Already you've had to buy a new battery. Its exciting to get In to this full blown but not safe in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Mtdobies

So I went and bought a meter from the Home Depot. It was about $20 bucks, but it works.

I tested the coil that I rebuilt and .... it was about 1.2/1.3 ohms.

So I while waiting for my battery I am practicin building the coils. I had about 4 revolutions with the one that was 1.2/1.3.

I made another with 5 revolutions and that got me to 1.4ohms. I am going to build one at 6 revolutions and hopefully I get around

1.5/1.6.

How do I calculate if that is a good read for the joye ego c upgrade passthrough 1000mah. (http://www.myvaporst...ego-c-uptxl.htm)

that I ordered?

update: I went 6 revolutions and I'm about spot on 1.5 (bouncing towards 1.6). So hopefully that will work.

Also in case you were wondering I am using 30GA Kanthal A1, and 3mm silica wick.

Edited by noodlesauce

Prebuilt coil prices come no where near the expense of a hand or a plastic surgeon if it blows up, you have to crawl before you walk. Already you've had to buy a new battery. Its exciting to get In to this full blown but not safe in a couple of weeks.

Love the comments. But yea Ive had to buy a new battery that I paid $15 for the first one. I Enjoy failing though because its how you learn, and maybe you blow up and die but thats called evolution and I fully support that :pirate:

Anyway, I did not know of any dangers as there are many videos online that show how to rebuild these but dont talk about where you could go wrong.

Did you make sure your ohm meter is "zero'd" out? If you get any resistance when touching leads together you will need to zero it out (if you have that option) or calculate the difference.

The eGo-C battery is a static 3.7V, and using a 1.2 ohm coil means you're unit was pulling near 11.5 Watts (and 3.1A) to fire that coil... I don't know the specs/limits of that battery, but I'm guessing 11.5W / 3.1A is well beyond the safety-zone. Actually, my MVP 2.0 VV/VW battery has a cut-off limitation of 11.0W, so to fire a 1.2 Ohm coil on that MOD, I'd be forced to use lower voltage... even if I set the voltage to 5.0V on a 1.2 Ohm coil, the battery would auto-limit Voltage to 3.63V and cap at 11.0W to prevent damage to the battery (and me)!

A 1.5 Ohm coil @ 3.7V is pulling 9.1W and 2.5A (within the capability of the battery)... and the lowest resistance coil I would risk on an eGo battery.... Just my opinion :)

You're very lucky the eGo-C has over/under protection circuitry... which is why it no longer functions... otherwise, that 1.2 Ohm coil could have caused the battery to pop in your hand, inches from your face!

I agree with everyone else... with factory coils running under a buck each, and if you're going to use a static-output eGo battery... stick with factory coils until you have the equipment and know-how to safely build and TEST your own coils.

Be safe! Get a good "coil meter", know your battery's limitations, and make use of an Ohm's Law Chart!

Did you make sure your ohm meter is "zero'd" out? If you get any resistance when touching leads together you will need to zero it out (if you have that option) or calculate the difference.

I did zero it, out thanks though.

Again I really appreciate all of your input. I will continue my research. Thanks

UPDATE

So I am now successfully vaping from my homeade coils

I did the math, they're costing me about .05$ a pop and saving me shipping or gas for additional coils which is sweet. Not to mention I can rebuild my friends coils and to whatever resistance they would like. Furthermore, it was super simple to learn how to do and I would have got it right the first time had I bought that multimeter($20 from HD) first. I learned and overall this was a win.

I want to thank those who provided me with the helpful info!

Thanks

You mean to tell me a $20 ohm reader solved all of your problems and saved you a big headache? Blasphemy!

Hey, not all get it like he has it would seem.... Noodle, we strugle with this sort of thing every day. It's good to hear you have been able to get things worked out. The key is to make sure all the variables match and you should be a happy vaper!