So, I needed something to hold my eGo's at my desk...

Earthling789

I've been putting my eGo's upright on my desk, but each time I knock one over, I expected to see a shattered tank... laying them flat was okay, but I just prefer them to be standing straight :(

Personally, I never liked the little plastic stands they sell at the local vape-shop, and hadn't decided on dropping money for a wooden stand, when I feel I can make one for pennies, and have it fit my needs better anyway... alas, I've not (yet) taken the time to build something big, but I still needed something for my eGo's to reside in on my desk....

So, today I was cleaning some odds-and-ends out of my storage boxes and ran across two of those nice, 2" round closet-door handles that I never used (wife wanted pretty ceramics, instead). The handles are solid pine, and nothing fancy, but gave me a great idea for re-purposing them!

I cut some 2" rounds out of another piece of pine (using a hole-saw)... ran a dowel through the hole in the round, into the hole where you would normally mount the handle with a screw... a little glue, and now, they won't tip over!

I drilled a 9/16" hole for the battery to reside in (perfect fit, BTW)... light sanding, a dab of neutral stain... and now I have two, personalized eGo battery stands!

Cost was nothing, and gave me something to do for 30-minutes this afternoon. What do you think?

2014-05-24224727_zpsa870edb4.jpg

Good job. I want to do something similar for my tanks. I have more tanks than batteries and when I have a tank I'm not using I usually rest it on a beauty ring. It keeps them upright but not too sturdy. The slightest bump sends them toppling.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I'm always looking for a "simple solution", lol :)

Jerry, I found a "simple solution" to my tanks too... I used the same hole-saw (without the pilot drill-bit) to cut four more 2" rounds out of that thin, scrap, pine board. I drilled three holes (just slightly larger than the 510 connection, in a centered, triangle pattern) in two of the rounds, then glued them onto one of the "solid" rounds. I did it this way so I would not have to "measure" the depth of each hole, and the solid piece underneath will contain any drips or leakage (protecting my desktop)... yeah, it was the lazy way :)

Each one holds 3-tanks, keeps them upright, they rest on their bases (not the 510 connection) and unless they get bumped hard, they don't fall over. I may make a few more like this to hold my mini tanks and drip-tips, too. They're small, and sit perfectly on my desk in front of my monitor so I always have a few tanks within easy reach!

I didn't even bother to stain them...

2014-05-25150754_zps7181cedc.jpg

Edited by Earthling789

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I'm always looking for a "simple solution", lol :)

Jerry, I found a "simple solution" to my tanks too... I used the same hole-saw (without the pilot drill-bit) to cut four more 2" rounds out of that thin, scrap, pine board. I drilled three holes (just slightly larger than the 510 connection, in a centered, triangle pattern) in two of the rounds, then glued them onto one of the "solid" rounds. I did it this way so I would not have to "measure" the depth of each hole, and the solid piece underneath will contain any drips or leakage (protecting my desktop)... yeah, it was the lazy way :)

Each one holds 3-tanks, keeps them upright, they rest on their bases (not the 510 connection) and unless they get bumped hard, they don't fall over. I may make a few more like this to hold my mini tanks and drip-tips, too. They're small, and sit perfectly on my desk in front of my monitor so I always have a few tanks within easy reach!

I didn't even bother to stain them...

2014-05-25150754_zps7181cedc.jpg

You've been a busy beaver today

I actually used a metric bit... 8mm... in SAE, that would be equivalent to 5/16".

My first attempt was using a 1/4", but the 510's were too snug (so much for eye-balling the size). My 5/16" bit was missing... of course... So, that is why I selected the 8mm metric. The extra 1/16" gives a little play, without allowing them to slide-around too much.

9/32" might be a "perfect-fit"... although I'm not sure... might have to try that next time. Either way, the 5/16" is easy to hit the hole, and keeps them steady.

Edited by Earthling789

Dang now that I've seen this, I'm going to have to fabricate an atomizer stand. Earthling789 makes it difficult to be a lazy and worthless, I can't buy one after seeing a thread like this.

On a serious note thanks Earthling, for the motivation and the specs you found to work through trial and error.

Thanks Charlie!

When I get bored, I tinker... and scrap wood laying around has always been my downfall... well, that and un-worked Rubik's Cubes, but I think that's just a severe case of CDO (just like OCD, but in Alphabetical Order, like it should be :) ).

I use to build a lot larger, more functional things (desks, beds, tables) out of Oak, Cedar, Cherry, Chestnut, Walnut, etc. Years ago, I had the room and equipment, but these days, that doesn't stop me from turning a spare piece of plywood into a desk (with hutch) for my son, or a few scrap 2x4's into bed-side tables when I'm bored on a weekend :)

Now, here's some more motivation for you :D

Once the varnish dries on last night's tinkering... I'll post some pictures of the larger rack I built while watching TV....

Scrap 3/4" Pine board (cut 7" x 5"), and a $0.49 Pine "dice" from the local craft-shop.

I trimmed the edge with a router, then drilled space for seven (five in front of the cube, one on either side of it) 510-base tanks, using an 8mm (or 5/16") drill bit. Centered between the five 510-tank slots are four 9/16" holes for eGo threaded tanks (my KPT3 minis and EVODs) in the front row. Things looked a little "off" in the front, so I added holes for two drip-tips, one on either side. The cube has four 9/16 holes drilled for 14mm eGo batteries. Light Oak stain and two coats of semi-gloss polyurethane... Took an hour, start to finish (not counting drying time, which it's still a bit tacky 12 hours later).

2014-06-02104539_zps67723544.jpg

Scrap 3/4" Pine board (cut 7" x 5"), and a $0.49 Pine "dice" from the local craft-shop.

I trimmed the edge with a router, then drilled space for seven (five in front of the cube, one on either side of it) 510-base tanks, using an 8mm (or 5/16") drill bit. Centered between the five 510-tank slots are four 9/16" holes for eGo threaded tanks (my KPT3 minis and EVODs) in the front row. Things looked a little "off" in the front, so I added holes for two drip-tips, one on either side. The cube has four 9/16 holes drilled for 14mm eGo batteries. Light Oak stain and two coats of semi-gloss polyurethane... Took an hour, start to finish (not counting drying time, which it's still a bit tacky 12 hours later).

2014-06-02104539_zps67723544.jpg

Well it's not exactly the large rack I had in mind but it's beautiful.