Drippers vs. Tanks vs. Clearomizers

mvince201

It can be confusing sometimes because the lines are now more blurred than when the terms originally came about. I'm fairly new to "enthusiast" vaping as I call it. I've been following vaping on a year or two and tried some cig alikes, really I was just waiting to get a nice setup, and have the time to learn enough to order some nice stuff.

The tanks, atomizers and drippers, and clearomizers used to be very distinct. Now the lines are blurred, it kind of depends on who you talk to or where you shop, etc.

Most people consider clearomizers to be the inexpensive CE4/ego knockoff disposable type tanks. However now even the cheap plastic tanks can have their coil units and replaced to save on waste and maybe cost.

Here's an example of a few "clearomizers"

http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=1156&category_id=39

When most people talk about "tanks" they're talking sometimes something like a Kanger Pro Tank or Aspire Nautilus type tank that has replaceable coils, or often they're referring to full rebuilable atomizers that have a tank attached, like the Kay Fun Lite.

Here's the Aspire Nautilus which is a "tank" with oem made specific replaceable coils. They're designed where you can replace the coil unit with different resistance levels but it's not designed by the manufacturer to be easily rewicked and re-coiled.

http://www.theveteranvaper.com/aspire-nautilus-bdcc/

Here's an "RBA" or rebuildable atomizer tank setup

http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=1828&category_id=61

Sorry I know I threw a ton of stuff at you at one time. I've been doing a ton of research to get caught up and build up my personal inventory, and build some nice setups.

Tammy has been a HUGE asset as well as the rest of the community.

Now for the last part of your question, dripping. Dripping will allow you to drip a few drops of e-juice down onto the wick and coils of an atomizer and vape those drops. There's not a reservoir, so it's easy to taste many different flavors without a lot of effort like emptying and washing out tanks or having 20 different clearomizers holding juice. It also allows for a really good vape, and you get the full flavor of the juice as its intended, and people say that nicotine is stronger when dripping, and often drip a lower level than they use in a tank because of the strong, direct hit.

You can get started dripping with these disposable atomizers and a drip shield, I just ordered some for me. Dripping is great for when you're sitting around the house in your recliner or what have you just enjoying your vape or tasting different juice than your "all day vape" such as apple pie vape for dessert. But it's not as convenient as a tank or clearomizer for "fill it and forget it" use where you have a big reservoir that doesn't spill or leak and you don't have to worry about carrying a bottle and dripping for a few hits then repeating.

http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=294&category_id=63

or a nice non-disposable rebuildable where you can tune the atomizer to your preferred vape, juice, and equipment for optimal performance and pennies in material to rebuild

http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=1831&category_id=61

So, if I understand correctly, a dripper is basically an open-ended tank made for one hit at a time persay. Whereas a tank/clearomizer can hold several ml of juice.

So why do tanks not work well with 80/20 mix or 100% VG?

I'll get straight to the point, I have a protank 2 can I use 80/20 in it or will I need a dripper?

Thank you btw, your information is very helpful.

The thicker vg blends have been used with protanks. Some will say you should remove the flavor wicks in the protank coils right away, but you should try it first. If you get dry hits then it's easy to remove them and try it again. If you search youtube for flavor wicks you will find several vids explaining it. I wouldn't worry if you want to try the 80vg/20pg juice.

So, if I understand correctly, a dripper is basically an open-ended tank made for one hit at a time persay. Whereas a tank/clearomizer can hold several ml of juice.

So why do tanks not work well with 80/20 mix or 100% VG?

I'll get straight to the point, I have a protank 2 can I use 80/20 in it or will I need a dripper?

Thank you btw, your information is very helpful.

If you look at the coil builds thread here you will see mostly rda's that dripping can be called. There are some other versions, but maybe that will help.

Before you get into dripping with RDA's, please do a lot of research, as it can get quite technical if you use a mechanical mod and build your coils. All of us here that use RDAs on mechanical mods are VERY big on safety. As you move up (if you want to), there are a few of us that can guide you on the right path and help you be a safe vaper.

My main goal at the moment is to be able to use 80/20 blends. I definitely do not consider myself experienced enough yet to fool with RDA's which is why my main question was can I use 80/20 with my protank.

I will try fishguy1123's suggestions first. If that does not work I will look into RDA's and certainly will be asking for help when that time comes! Lol

Thanks guys!

When you say 80/20 do you mean vg/pg or pg/vg? May seem like a silly distinction, but "most" trusted juice vendors try to list the PG ratio in front of the VG. Example, I'm currently dripping a 10/90 PG/VG 6mg nic Spiced Apple from Fadoravapor.com

But in my Kanger Protank2, I'm using a 70/30 PG/VG 12mg nic Ectoplasm from Fuzionvapors

I normally vape a 40/60 mix. I'm looking to achieve more vapor and less throat hit so I have ordered a 30/70 mix and a 20/80 mix. However I was not aware when I did this that 20/80 mix didn't work well with tanks, which is what spawned this discussion lol.