Sub Ohming has gotten ridiculous.

Myvaporsavior

Cloud Chasers are scaring me more and more these days. I get sub ohms vaping, I like it as well which is why I normally vape my Kayfun at around 0.7 and my RDA at 0.5. I get that it would be prudent not to sub ohm entirely if I want to be cautious.

Lately however, i'm seeing more and more pictures of people building quad and octacoils on their RDA's that go below 0.1 ohms and that's absolutely bonkers to me. Yes, in almost all cases, the build out resistance are below the amp cap on the battery they are using, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous.

When we are talking about Lithium Ion batteries, we are talking about something very, very dangerous when used improperly, only an inch away from your face and eyes. The new generation of vapers have a lot more knowledge at their fingertips than the tenured vapers had, and that's great. That's one of the reasons why we see someone who has only vaped 2-3 months evolve into building their own coils on a mech mod so quickly, that knowledge they can find via the internet is at their disposal.

Heres the issue though, vapers are seeing the amp cap on the specs of their batteries and thinking "Okay, well it's a 30 amp maximum, if i stay just below that or at that amp it should work just fine" and that's ludicrous. My car's speedometer on my sentra says 130MPH, Scientific evidence shows you can likely survive in the desert without food for up to 7 days as long as you are hydrated with enough water. Does that mean I should drive 130 in my compact car? does that mean you should walk around without eating for 7 days?

You are pushing those batteries too hard, too consistently. Yes, the amp cap is 30 or 35. But they were never meant to go that high for that long of a period of time. Nor was my car meant to drive that fast, nor was your body meant to be put through that much torture.

Batteries are going to fail, it happens in any device you use whether it's your laptop battery or your smartphone batteries, they fail some times. The difference in this circumstance however is you are seeing this new type of vaper push these batteries so hard consistently for as long as they will keep on charging at these ridiculously low ohms, and for what? so you can post another 10 second clip on Facebook or YouTube making a cloud?

I like blowing clouds every now and again as well, but when you get down beyond 0.1, you've lost your marbles if you think there isn't a chance you are going to force that battery to vent, especially with these long *** drags i'm seeing these cloud chasers take.

toohigh-300x257.jpg

Before you make a sub ohm coil, always ask yourself if the clouds you are about to try and make with it are worth the mod you could destroy if that battery goes thermal, or worse your safety and health. Is that 0.08 coil worth needing possible skin grafts in the future?

Let me know what you think about these ridiculously low sub ohms we're seeing in the comment section below.

To each their own. It's not for me, I'm a tank guy and that will never change. I haven't heard of a battery explosion or anything but can see why one would be concerned given the "pushing it to the limits" approach many take especially those not experienced nor equipped to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to sub ohm as much as the next guy, but I never really go below .2ohms and I alway make sure I have batteries that can handle it( mostly Sony vtc4,5,& 6). I wish everyone would be more carful while sub omhing. Not only could u get hurt but u could also shine a bad light on vaping all together. Think about what your doing, and ask yourself if it's really worth the risk. A .2-.3 ohm coil r just as good as a .08 ohm build and u don't have to worry about getting shrapnel in the face.

If there is one thing that will give the anti-vaping lobby the power they need for widespread bans and legislation it is a Mech mod blowing up because someone didnt know how to properly and safely do it.

Not downing cloud chasers, just saying it has been on my mind a long time. If we as a community put as much emphasis on safety with mechanical mods there is bound to be an inherent risk associated with the activity. Imagine how the non-vaping community will react when and if a hand grenade explodes in someones face?

I agree with ya Bcarter! However, when someone comes to VT that is interested in mechs in general, there are many of us that immediately start harping on safety. Other than trying to educate, there's not much else we can do. Education is only valuable to those who wish to be educated.

I sub-ohm, and I've been as low as .09. But it was too hot to vape and I didn't notice any appreciable increase in vapor versus running at 0.3. I prefer to stay at or above 0.3 now. I constantly check and recheck my builds for shorts and inconsistent ohm readings as well as my batteries for voltage levels.

That's the thing for me Josh. I used to worry about online sales since I have never been in a brick and mortar that didn't suck. Now I worry way more about an outright ban when someone kills their dumbass self, maybe more than one. Lithium ion batteries are nothing to play with.

Well, I promise you, I'll be safe. And I'm sure Joe, Comp, and the others on here will be too. We'll be watching for noobs to mechs and subbers and try to educate em!

I need help I put a coil on my rda so I could do big coulds and the mod and button are getting hot and sparks are flying is that safe

yeah boy copper speaker wire, bring on the clouds LMAO

What have a I told you about stripping the speaker wires, V? Huh??? Were you not listening the last time you were told not to do that?! There goes the surround sound again. :lol:

Edited by Tameiki

What have a I told you about stripping the speaker wires, V? Huh??? Were you not listening the last time you were told not to do that?! There goes the surround sound again.  :lol:

Yes mom wont happen again gggzzz can never do nuttin

Yes mom wont happen again gggzzz can never do nuttin

Oh you can do something alright. Now, uncoil your RDA and use that to repair the speaker wires.

Make sure to wipe off all the e-juice before you start putting the wires on the speakers! I don't want to stick to the floor when I walk near them, either. >:)

• 1 month later...

I'm always sub-ohming. Most of my builds are in a range from .8 down to .14. My sub .2 builds get hot if you drag them repeatedly and flex the button over and over, as is to be expected, but it gets too warm let alone hot, I put it down. You have to be smart about it. A lot of people (not all mind you) have the common sense when the thing by your face is scorching hot to put it away for a bit. I like clouds, a lot. Its my dumb guilty pleasure. As long as you play it smart and don't chain vape the piss out of a .2 ohm coil, you should be fine.

I have come to the point where I can not stand a non sub ohm build. I love to vape between .20-.25ohm, that's my sweetspot. Every build I test with my multimeter even if its the same build as before. I also lay my mod down when it gets warm. I only vape on vtc 3,4,5,6 but only for about 3 hours and then I stuff a fresh one in. I also pull my topcap of when I drip and look at my coils. Look for hotspots etc. SAFETY IS KEY. AGAIN SAFETY IS KEY

I have not got into sub ohm yet. I will one day funds permitting. I have the knowledge due to many years of hobby electronics and my occasional side electrical work. Been doing Ohm's Law and rechargeable batteries for years, but I am currently using the itaste VV, MPV, and spinners for vapeing.

This subject really hit me hard today. I went to buy some juice at one of my local B & M. They carry mechanical mods and the large electronic controlled batteries. I was inquiring about going from a 60/40 blend to a 50/50 because of flooding on my Nautilus. She said no, all you need to do is crank up your wattage and voltage up. I told her I usually set my wattage around 6.5/7 watts. She then asked where are your volts set at. I said I really don't know off the top of my head and I don't have a calculator. She looked at me like I was totally stupid. She then said I should be running my tank at 11 watts and 5 volts. I just smiled and said ok.

I don't expect everyone to know everything, but at least a basic understanding of how ohms law works, especially if your giving advice on settings and sell mechanical mods.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by jasonculp

Rant accepted and totally understood. It's also one thing to experiment with a .08ohm build at your work station, while knowing the dangers associated, but it's completely another story when the local vape bar builds a .06ohm parallel coil on a customer's RDA when they have no knowledge of it and are basically new to mechanicals and dripping. This poor fellow happened to be my brother..... smh.

I don't want to give the wrong impression. My local store has quite a few knowledgeable men and women at it. I asked the guy that helped me last week about his opinion of non-rebuild drip atomizers like the HH357 and he was up front and said "I don't have a clue, but I will get you a guy who does" I have so much respect for this. I am a salesman. I sell sealing components for the oil/gas/electrical industry. When people ask me what the best gasket/seal for their solution I will give them a set of ANSI charts and the phone number to an engineer that specializes in that. If I made my best "guess" and it was wrong...at best downtime for the company, at worst loss of life and environmental impact.

I know using a personal atomizer is not nearly as big of a deal, but the possible injury, or even financial loss from toasting a battery would really make for a bad day!