Vaping And Diabetes

Fawn

Just a note, I know this is an old thread but just to let people know, I do a lot of e-liquid work and have gained quite a bit of knowledge about it. The big issue is this:

VG - breaks down into Glucose in your system. This can throw sugar levels out of whack so you need to be careful and monitor your levels, if you see them rising or slipping I'd switch to PG.

PG - breaks down into Lactic Acid. This is one of the reasons it drys out the throat or if your a beginning vapor, can make you feel slightly achy the next day as if you had worked out.

Hope that helps.

Rob

just came across this thread shared some ideas with keenan but I'm wondering even though this is a dated thread if anyone has looked into the actual and possibilty that vaping also has a carb intake or possibly the glycerin or flavoring does. For me being a type 2 diabetic I have to watch carbs along with sugar it isn't always sugar thats the enemy example thanksgiving holiday my mom makes a killer stuffing one table spoon full will make my glucose level go from 110 up to 145 in ten minutes and its the amount of carbs in the breading and broth so since we don't have a lab to do studies and we are all attempting to show our governmant and the FDA that vaping isn't hazardous I will offer out my experiences with this once I get my products and also my chats with others and see what we can confirm and throw out so we all can have a great enjoyment to vape as we please . with out harm or censor!!!

Thanks Christopher for this forum I had been looking for days and finally found a place to call home to getting the info I need

peace and vape out!

Angel

Edited by AngelCruz

• 3 weeks later...

update to my vaping and being a diabetic I am capable to manage most of my diabetic issues via diet and glucose monitoring I am insulin dependant but I have goten it under an extreme control to where I don't need daily shots for you other diabetics out there I am on a sliding scale for my insulin but since vaping I have noticed an even more dramatic change in that my glucose levels have dropped even more than usual of when I was using analogs and I have not been in the need to use my insulin pen in the 12 days I have been analog free and vaping there's one for the ADA and the FDA to poke a stick at...roflmao

Angel

• 4 years later...

We have got to get to the bottom of this, I'm Type II. I can sleep all night, wake up test (117) start vaping not eating or drinking anything and sugar starts rising to the 160's

The more I look into it the more I get perplexed.

VG, PG, sugars in Flavors at mom and pop shops, then on WebMD there is data that shows nicotine stimulates the liver to make its own sugar. Yikes The Dr's of course want to blame it all on nicotine.

Someone help!!!

We have got to get to the bottom of this, I'm Type II. I can sleep all night, wake up test (117) start vaping not eating or drinking anything and sugar starts rising to the 160's

The more I look into it the more I get perplexed.

VG, PG, sugars in Flavors at mom and pop shops, then on WebMD there is data that shows nicotine stimulates the liver to make its own sugar. Yikes The Dr's of course want to blame it all on nicotine.

Someone help!!!

I'm also T2. I have making E-liquid for over 4 years now. When I first started I had many t2 friends that were having problems with spikes after Vaping. We got together and started working on what the root cause was. We found that the higher the VG content the sharper the spike. So, vape 70pg/30vg and you will notice that spike is still there but not as dramatic. Now mind you, everyone is different and you could still see a high spike even at 70/30. If so, go to 80/20 and test that. Keep your meter handy so you can test your readings. I had 1 friend that couldn't even vape 100pg for the spikes so, test test and re test your sugar!

Studies show that ingesting VG and PG does not spike your sugar and is used as a sweetener for diabetics. But when Vaped, you are bringing it into your lungs. Your lungs are full of blood vessels and work to oxygenate your blood. Vaping puts the sugars into your blood stream faster and at a higher rate than ingestion. This is IMO why diabetics spike when vaping.

I'm not a Doctor, just a Vaper that has done many tests on this. Hope this helps you. :)

• 2 months later...

My husband has been using his vape for months and seems to have a bad effect on his diabetes. He finaly got his sugar at a steady 105. Now that he started vaping it gets as high as 230. I know vaping is a much better way then smoking cigerettes but this is dangerous too. Someone needs to study this.

I'm also a insulin dependant diabetic, I maintain a 5.4 a1c, which is incredible, am very active in the diabetic community knowing many that Vape w no problems.

I chain Vape for the most part as well... what eliquid is he using ?

Is he seeing a endo? Mine is quite prominent and is thrilled w my vaping and blood glucose levels.

When did he start vaping?

If I can help I'd be glad too.

Perhaps the liquid your using has alcohol in it, sugars or simply the detox is causing his sugars to fluctuate?

As a nurse (and that by no means makes me an expert) my guess would be it's any one of the things Mtdobies mentioned above. Also, could it be that his dietary habits have changed some since he started vaping, or getting less exercise maybe?

As a thought, diabetics have issues already w dehydration, vaping can cause dehydration.

Which on turn can screw w your numbers, t2 diabetics have insulin resistance, so there for lack of fluids can make this a larger issue.

I have to hydrate like crazy stress of quitting smoking can cause #'s to rise as well.

Try testing before you Vape such as a fasting look at blood sample, Vape wait a 1/2- 1 hour test again watch the sample, as you go higher your sample is darker, as you Vape the same occurs, if your not drinking.

If you drink water in between the levels should be normal

Back to the old well taught lesson to most diabetics, drinking fluids will bring down your sugars, that's why when we go high we get thirsty, our blood needs the fluids.

I'm not a Dr just a diabetic of 29 yrs.

off my soap box.

• 2 months later...

I can relate to the fear that VG/PG is affecting my blood glucose levels.. I went to my Primary care today. She tested my A1C and it was 14.8. My blood sugar level was 309 even though I hadn't eaten all day. However, I had vaped as I usually do in the mornings, all through noon until my appt. with her at 2 PM. She immediately put me on Humalog and Lantis insulin after checking my A1C. She said that the 14.8 was the highest A1C she had ever seen in her career. I scoured my mind trying to put things together. I hadn't eaten anything since 10 PM the night before, had no breakfast, nor lunch, and my blood sugar was 309. The only thing that I could logically deduce, is that it had to be the E-Juice. I've been a year and a few months without an analog, I chain vape I'll admit. Although I don't use any flavorings

I vape 50/50 PG/VG Premium tobacco juice. I'm currently at 12 mg, and have 500 ML 6 mg on the way. ( I started at 36 mg 15 months ago and slowly tapered down to the 6mg I'm waiting on.)

I took my first injection of Lantis tonight at 9 PM. It's gonna be hard, but I think I'll pass on vaping tomorrow and see what my glucose meter says. I hope to God that I don't have to quit vaping, I really like it- vs regular cancer sticks.

Praying it's not the PG/VG...........PepsiMoon

I'm assuming you were on a pill to deal w type 2 diabetes?

W vaping you have.to drink a ton of water.

A a1c of 14 is from several month average, 309 is a need for insulin ie lantus.

Drink more water seriously. If you've been diabetic and are vaping too chug the water.

I can bet Its not the pg/vg as a type 1 I can tell you it makes all the difference when you drink more.

Hang in there if you smoke your at a lot higher risk w diabetes. I know I chain Vape when I'm going higher b.s. insulin is a blessing you'll feel tons better.

But you also Dont help you by not eating.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I think this issue should be studied further.  I totally relate to the people who had a problem with vg and blood sugar level.  I come from a family on both sides with no history of diabetes.  I have my share of other illnesses, but not this one. My last blood test without a problem was almost 4 years ago. The doctor was surprised that my after meals blood sugar level was very lower than 100.  He though I may have a different sort of problem but not diabetes.  In any case, I have been vaping for 3 years now and a few months ago, I switched to 100% vg based liquid without nicotine or flavor.  I started noticing that my urine was getting sticky. after I did my own "internet research" I found out that this may have to do with the fact the vaping vg goes straight to the blood stream. In any case, last week I went to the doctor to have a refill of my blood pressure medication. He ordered complete physical including blood test for sugar.  the result of the blood test for sugar was scary: 14% on the AC1 and above 350. He gave me all kind of medications and an immediate insulin shot. I told him that I thought the problem may have to do with vaping.  He said I was in denial . I decided not to take the medication until I see the effect of vaping on my blood sugar level. I waited two days to have the effect of the insulin shot worn off . In the meantime, I stopped  vaping . I kept my diet the same (I need to change it later on).  After two days without vaping, I am down to 225 (not good but better than before).  I will let you know if any of the results change. 

On 8/5/2014 at 1:15 AM, PepsiMoon said:

I can relate to the fear that VG/PG is affecting my blood glucose levels.. I went to my Primary care today. She tested my A1C and it was 14.8. My blood sugar level was 309 even though I hadn't eaten all day. However, I had vaped as I usually do in the mornings, all through noon until my appt. with her at 2 PM. She immediately put me on Humalog and Lantis insulin after checking my A1C. She said that the 14.8 was the highest A1C she had ever seen in her career. I scoured my mind trying to put things together. I hadn't eaten anything since 10 PM the night before, had no breakfast, nor lunch, and my blood sugar was 309. The only thing that I could logically deduce, is that it had to be the E-Juice. I've been a year and a few months without an analog, I chain vape I'll admit. Although I don't use any flavorings

I vape 50/50 PG/VG Premium tobacco juice. I'm currently at 12 mg, and have 500 ML 6 mg on the way. ( I started at 36 mg 15 months ago and slowly tapered down to the 6mg I'm waiting on.)

I took my first injection of Lantis tonight at 9 PM. It's gonna be hard, but I think I'll pass on vaping tomorrow and see what my glucose meter says. I hope to God that I don't have to quit vaping, I really like it- vs regular cancer sticks.

I relate to this 100%. Please read my post.