VTR into a DNA 30

IMEDICx90

Well I'm gonna start a thread on my build/conversion. It's not a build from scratch but it's gonna be a first time thing from what I can tell through my google search. :)

So I'm taking my vtr and I'm chopping the ring to make it usable with a 22mm atty, and I'm gonna install a DNA30 board in place of the original one. The plan is to use the existing screen as a screen cradle, aka I'm cutting the screen for the DNA screen lol.

Here is the finish on it I did, still needs one more light sand down and a buffing wheel but it's going to look generally how you see it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well that's as far as I have gotten, but I will be installing the board today. :)

Well I got it torn apart, and fried the current board and forgot my soldering iron at work, so it's gonna be until tomorrow, and I need to pick up some extra wire for extensions as it's a pretty tight fit. Thinking about adding regular up and down voltage buttons to the side as well. :)

Be very gentle with the board/screen. They will snap off in an instant. You can mount the board 180 degrees onto the back of the screen with double sided tape, just dont apply any sideways pressure on the ribbon cable.

Alright so it's gonna be a bit before this is finished. Either way I have to remove some existing stock in the mod itself(not structurally or electrically important, but just in my way for the dna30) and with it being stainless steel it's not gonna be quick or fun. I'm now realizing this project is NOT for anyone with just basic hand tools. I have most of the equipment at work, and if all else fails someone offered to mill it out for me so it's more of an extreme mod

For no given reason lol.

Meh maybe. I'm gonna have to fabricate a new switch cover so I can use a different switch it has 28g wire on it now and it's not nearly long enough, so unless I can actually run some 24 from it(replace the 28g and have it work right) I'll need a new switch which means a new housing or a bigger cover. Since there isn't enough room to widen the housing, I have to fabricate a cover. Will be doing it out of thin aluminum or possibly brass if I can find it(might ask my dad if ford has any scrap thin thin aluminum, or if a tinner can make me a new cover altogether. :)

Well I have been slacking! I haven't touched it since last week. I just got my hands on a real Dremel, so I'm gonna try the channel down the tube, if that fails, I have a fabricator who said he would make me a plate for the front out of aluminum, which would be ultimately easiest, and I could remove said plate for any defects, but, I'll try it my way first for no body modifications. :)

I'm sitting here with my VTR in hand, and trying to imagine it as a DNA 30 mod.. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the finish you did. I don't dislike it by any means. But I'm not sure I'd want it done to mine. However, it's a cool look! :) I think I just love mine too much to even think about doing this. Best of luck, Medic! Hope it comes out the way you want it to!

I'm sitting here with my VTR in hand, and trying to imagine it as a DNA 30 mod.. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the finish you did. I don't dislike it by any means. But I'm not sure I'd want it done to mine. However, it's a cool look! :) I think I just love mine too much to even think about doing this. Best of luck, Medic! Hope it comes out the way you want it to!

Well here is how I looked at it. I didn't use it because I never use protanks anymore, and the extension looked stupid with a 22mm atty. So I could either let it sit there, try and fix it, or sell it. As I'm reluctant to let go of my mods in general, the third wasn't an option, and I was craving a DNA30. :) so it made it pretty easy!

Thanks for this info Medic, I would like to do this also, please keep us updated and add photos :)

Did you simply sand the surface of the VTR and the brass below came out like that? Or is it painted or something?

Well here is how I looked at it. I didn't use it because I never use protanks anymore, and the extension looked stupid with a 22mm atty. So I could either let it sit there, try and fix it, or sell it. As I'm reluctant to let go of my mods in general, the third wasn't an option, and I was craving a DNA30. :) so it made it pretty easy!

LOL! Understandable. I think it is a cool idea, I just love mine. I still use my protank2 and vivi novas on it, so it still gets plenty of use. I also use my trident, omega, and helios clones on it. I found that putting the ego cone adapter thing that came with my Protank2 on the extension makes it look a little less dorky. :P But that's only at home in front of my PC. I'm excited for you! I want a DNA30 mod as well, but that just isn't in the budget right now. Heck, the chip isn't even in my budget at the moment!

Thanks for this info Medic, I would like to do this also, please keep us updated and add photos :)

Did you simply sand the surface of the VTR and the brass below came out like that? Or is it painted or something?

Yep I just started with 400 grit, then moved to 600 and finished it with wet 800. :) and I'll be adding photos as soon as I get a little further. Don't worry I'm taking pictures all along the way. :)

Any updates? :)

About the finish, I'm a bit confused. So you DID put some brass color on it? What product did you use?

Or is the VTR just chrome plated brass? Which would be strange because I have seen the ring removed without any brass showing.

I'd love to make the finish of my VTR a little bit more like brushed steel. But if it's chrome that might be a bad idea.

I didn't do anything but sand down the finish. It's copper plated steel. Then it's chromed over the copper. I just sanded down the chrome to the copper for a steampunk type look. And I haven't been able to work on it much lately, life's been a bit busy. Hahaha! But this week sometime I'm sure I'll finish it, at least to the point where I can make the button cover later on spare time and have it function for now. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also still planning to add the DNA 30 to my VTR. 15 watt doesn't cut it anymore for a dual coil fogger V4 :)

I want to try and fit a normal analogue potentiometer to mine. You connect 3 pins to the board and it detects the range in between 1k to 10k ohm. This could actually be easier / faster to use for changing wattage.

My DNA30 arrived, but I'm still waiting for a mod to arrive (so I have an alternative when working on the vtr) and still need to buy a potentiometer and a new solder pen.

I'm also still planning to add the DNA 30 to my VTR. 15 watt doesn't cut it anymore for a dual coil fogger V4 :)

I want to try and fit a normal analogue potentiometer to mine. You connect 3 pins to the board and it detects the range in between 1k to 10k ohm. This could actually be easier / faster to use for changing wattage.

My DNA30 arrived, but I'm still waiting for a mod to arrive (so I have an alternative when working on the vtr) and still need to buy a potentiometer and a new solder pen.

Hey Dejay, I'm also planning on putting a DNA 30 in my VTR. I also have a Fogger V4. I have removed the ring on my VTR to fit larger RBAs, but the fogger's airflow adjustment ring doesn't allow for a good fit. Are you using the fogger without the ring, or with the extension on the VTR? If you removed the ring, how are you working around this limitiations?