Hello. Just been introduced to vaping and I have question about PG/VG

Tobias101101

Hi everyone. Hope you can help have just purchased a vision spinner and am eagerly awaiting its arrival on Wednesday. I have done quite a bit of research and understand the difference between PG/VG but was wondering if anyone may have done research involving how much PG get absorbed. I am currently on the "SCRAM" alcohol monitoring system for an ongoing trial. Does anyone know if there is enough PG in the liquids (50/50 or VG with 5%PG) to set off the monitor? I'm going to quit cigarettes and this is my alternative. PG is a prohibited item because it can give false readings on bracelet)I have to have alcohol free soap, deo etc)

Is there enough PG inhaled that it would metabolize, leave the skin, get detected by SCRAM and give a false positive for alcohol consumption? PG is metabolized same way, and creates the same chemical when metabolized in the body as alcohol, but is there really enough there? I am going to have to get a PHD in chemistry to figure out how much PG is absorbed/excreted in normal vaping.

Does anyone have any advise/experience with SCRAM, absorption of PG in body, is there enough absorbed to be detectable?? Help. I don't wanna go to jail for trying to quit cigs. Thanks for you time and help

PG is a prohibited item because it can give false readings on bracelet)I have to have alcohol free soap, deo etc)

PG is metabolized same way, and creates the same chemical when metabolized in the body as alcohol,

Fascinating problem. You are correct that the scram unit can potentially pick a false positive on propylene glycol. However, don't be surprised that you would need a chemist and a team of doctors to prove it was the pg.

If I were you, I would set up a video camera, have you constantly on camera and vape and try it out. I cannot find any information that vaping pg would set off a scram monitor. There is virtually no info on the metabolism of pg from vaping and if it falls within the parameters of alcohol metabolism as measured by scram.

Sorry to say you're in a tough spot and you may just have to conduct a test with your supervisor present.

Wish I could help further

In my opinion, you should be totally fine vaping 50/50 or higher vg.

How heavy of a smoker are you?

I can't imagine 5% pg would even be ennough to set off the device. We are talking a very small quantity. Also I have heard that tobacco flavorings require less percentage of flavorings which would further reduce the likelyhood of pg content.

Maybe one of the DIY juicers can verify this. Or even come up with a vapable formula that contains no Pg.

I mean, pg is a food grade product and you are likely consuming it or absorbing it already in other ways.

Just my opinion, but I dont think you have to worry if you go all Vg juice

as a DIYer......I would consider making your own. if this is not a path you want to take, most vendors would be happy to discuss the ingredients with you. unfortunately most flavorings used do have some PG and many actually contain alcohol.

researching the flavorings would be your best bet. not sure there is enough research on this to be beneficial to you. sorry can't be more help.

I looks like these guys use natural and VG for their flavorings......

http://www.virginvapor.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions#

I'm going in tomorrow afternoon for my weekly download for the SCRAM alcohol monitoring bracelet. I'm taking a chance, and started using a "CIG 2o" I got from a buddy of mine this morning. It has been "refilled" with High Caliber green apple 50/50. My first PV (Vision Spinner) is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Yippee!!!! (I'm hoping before I go to get download) (Sorry tryin to keep it short). I want to make sure I get a couple good tokes (puffs? Pulls? Drags? Vapes? I'll learn the lingo). I will have 2 bottles of e-liquid, blue razz and blue ice. Both are VG with 5%PG and 2.4% nic. I wish I could try 50/50 in the vape ,but i only ordered the VG mix. I will bring the vaporizer with me and explain all this, try to get as much info back as possible and hopefully help someone else .....ONLY if I don't get locked up for a false positive. Thank you,Vapor Talk community, for helping. I will be asking lots of "noob" questions and I'm sure I'll get the right answers here.

So.... I got the vape at around 2pm but unfortunately I couldn't get outta work to use it before the download. I explained the whole situation regarding pg and vg and stuff and that I am quitting cigs and this is how I'm doing it. She said that I will be able to find out what the results were. She did take note and record that I was smoking an ecig. Couldn't get more than that 😞. I'm going to eat, sit, open my fed ex package and admire my first PV 😜 and the first day of being " analog" free. I'll post results tomorrow when I get them.

Have a good evening, and I shall be back.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I know this is a really old thread....but I thought this information might ease a few minds. I contacted Vigilnet, a supplier of the SCRAM monitor, and they said....

"(My name), you should have no problems using your e-cigarettes or vapes on the SCRAM bracelet. We have seen no issues with people who use these types of smoking devices. Any other questions, your technician will help you out when they install you."

This was from an assistant supervisor at Vigilnet. 

Problem solved!!! 

Please help. I am looking for a quality AIO MOD. I currently have a Vaporesso Nebula, Kangertech mini. For tanks I have two Aspire Cleito and a Baby Beast. The reviews on the Ijoy rdta 200 are 50/50 mixed. I researched other aio mods but not much has impressed me. I vape throughout the day if that matters. What are your suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

VT had a new AIO, the Templar and it happens to be on sale.
https://www.vaportalk.com/us/shop/templar-aio-vapor-talk/#

If you haven't read this yet, here is what folks have to say about it.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Evaportalk%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F31174-The-Templar-AIO-by-Vapor-Talk---First-Impression&share_tid=31174&share_fid=15252&share_type=t

The Templar AIO by Vapor Talk - First Impression

Sent from a galaxy far far away

VT had a new AIO, the Templar and it happens to be on sale.
https://www.vaportalk.com/us/shop/templar-aio-vapor-talk/#

If you haven't read this yet, here is what folks have to say about it.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Evaportalk%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F31174-The-Templar-AIO-by-Vapor-Talk---First-Impression&share_tid=31174&share_fid=15252&share_type=t

The Templar AIO by Vapor Talk - First Impression

Sent from a galaxy far far away

Thank you for the response. I want a MOD with more features and not a cylinder looking MOD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, bhonshell37 said:

Thank you for the response. I want a MOD with more features and not a cylinder looking MOD.

I'm not sure you have really described what you are looking for.  You used the term "AIO" , yet it sounds like you want to use your existing tanks.  Any particular reason why you specify AIO?  If you're just looking for a box style mod, do you want a built in battery, or removeable batteries? How much power do you need? 

The MOD that fits what I want is the Ijoy rdta 200. However, the reviews are mixed 50/50. Some work great, others have screen problems, leak. So if someone can recommend a MOD similar to the above, I would be grateful

Ok.

If it's helpful, MOST of the negative reviews are likely to be user error.   

Is it that you want the tank to match the mod?  I'm not sure what you mean by "built in tank" .  

Edited by Bebop