Phillip Morris Announces Plans to Develop an E-Cigarette

Patricia

It's big tobacco wanting to get their grubby little hands in on the e-cig money, because they are LOSING money from people switching. The thing is, they are more likely to agree to a no internet sales (big tobacco) because most of them, if not all (I don't know what PM plans to make) make cigalikes, which, of course, have no problems getting on gas station shelves. Gas stations aren't going to stock "our kind" of PV's - even just the eGos or Evod batteries, because with that, you have to have juice, you have to let people sample, and you have to have people who can answer questions about it, so it's too labor intensive. The big cigarette outlet here JUST started carrying juice (granted, I haven't been in there since they started, haven't been in there since I picked up the eGo the first time), so I don't know how much they are selling, what kind of sampling they are allowing, but at least they are selling more than just the cigalikes.

And I didn't expect them to start carrying this stuff because they are discount cigarettes, beer, and liquor, so it's not like they are a dedicated smoke shop with people standing around just to help you. Unless it's changed, it's just people at the counter checking you out, and they make TONS of money that way.

BUT, to get back to my original point, the big tobacco companies (PM is the last American Big Tobacco to get in) would likely agree to more regulation than the rest of the industry - with a lot of the cigalikes, they just market cigarette flavored cartridges (and truly, the cigalikes are what the news media and everything else on TV thinks of as vaping), they'll agree to no TV advertising because they can't advertise cigarettes on TV, either (but remember the Marlboro man?). And they won't stand up to making anti-vaping laws as strict as anti-cigarette laws, IMO, because it's no skin off their backs - their analogs can't be used in those situations, so they are used to it.

But the cigalike manufacturers are the ones that have the FDA's ear - which inevitably means big tobacco. And it pisses me off to no end. That's why I'm glad there are organizations like CASAA.

Edited by spydre

Almost every gas station, liquor store, and mini corner market in my area carries both cig-a-likes and eGo express kits as well as CE5 clearomizers and a variety of different juices. The prices aren't great, but over the last 5 months you can literally get any kind of vape you want at nearly any street corner. Even if you want something fancier, it's a short drive to one of a dozen different places that carry APVs, mech mods, RDAs, etc.

Not here, AFAIK. The discount cigarette, beer and liquor outlet carries some juice, I don't know about stick batteries, but I would assume so (haven't walked into that shop since we set the analogs down in July), and cigalikes.

The convenience store where I used to buy my analogs from has cigalikes with the refill carts, I wonder if they sell e-liquid too.

As much as I hate big tobacco, it might be ok that they are getting their greedy paws in vaping too. I don't see them as a threat to our way of vaping. It's the misinformed public, local/state/Fed government and the FDA that I fear. Oh and big phrma too, speaking of greed.

Big tobacco may help us while helping themselves to educate the masses about how much safer vaping is to smoking. Big tobacco is investing millions of dollars into e-cigarettes, I think they will want a return on their investment. If they are looking to control the market, then I have a problem with them too. I'm all about free market and making profits.

Sure require persons to be 18 and over to buy nicotine products if that makes you feel better. That didn't stop me from getting addicted to cigarettes at 16 years old in fact it made it more exciting. Why does pleasure have to be restricted?

This world is one goofy place. We should outlaw greed, real hate and power.

I am a member of CASAA even though I've only started to become aware of the looming issues here and in other countries.

The only problem I have with big tobacco getting involved is that they told the FDA a couple of months ago that they would have no problem with restricting online sales (you can still buy cigarettes and cigars online) and limit flavors. It's easier for all the cigalikes to get stocked in convenience stores, but it's harder to get a good selection of juices and equipment, much less qualified staff to help with it. There are some areas sort of around here where you have to drive an hour and a half plus to get to a B&M, much less one that stocks flavors you like, the brands you normally order. Before June, we would have to drive an hour, but then four new stores opened up in the space of five months.

I don't understand the flavor limiting. I can buy cotton ******* candy flavored VODKA for **** sake! COTTON CANDY VODKA! Not to mention a product called Deliciouso (i think) Red Velvet. Tastes like cake! It has 0 booze taste, it's literally liquid cake I can get ****** up on! What kid doesnt love cake? In fact, its my childish side that loves that liquid cake! Why cant parents just be responsible enough to keep tabs on their rugrats?! I put up with 18 and 21 years of "childhood" so I WOULDN'T have my things taken away anymore. Now instead of mom taking it away, its my damn government. At least mom didnt want to be PAID to take my things away! Hey, mommy-government.... Where's my allowance?! Sorry... snapped a bit for a moment. This whole thing just enfuriates me. Lol, I say we all run away from home and build a fort in another country! Totally not come back when it gets dark out!

Edited by HelloMiakoda

Yeah HelloMiakoda!

Really?! Cotton candy flavored vodka? That's weird as is red velvet booze. I won't comment on the e-liquid versions and those in the bakery group as I have yet to sample any. I thought chocolate was strange until I tried some. It rocks!

I have much to learn about issues. It was only a few months ago I thought vaping is still like smoking. I was part of the mis-informed masses. I didn't have anything against those who used PV's, that would have been really stupid on my part.

Yeah. The argument is, we don't lose our tastebuds when we turn 18. And one of the reasons the e-cigs work (other than the fact that they DO replace the hand to mouth movement + they replace the nicotine from analogs with an amount WE control), at least for me, is because they taste BETTER than analogs.

I don't understand the flavor limiting. I can buy cotton ******* candy flavored VODKA for **** sake! COTTON CANDY VODKA! Not to mention a product called Deliciouso (i think) Red Velvet. Tastes like cake! It has 0 booze taste, it's literally liquid cake I can get ****** up on! What kid doesnt love cake? In fact, its my childish side that loves that liquid cake!Why cant parents just be responsible enough to keep tabs on their rugrats?! I put up with 18 and 21 years of "childhood" so I WOULDN'T have my things taken away anymore. Now instead of mom taking it away, its my damn government. At least mom didnt want to be PAID to take my things away! Hey, mommy-government.... Where's my allowance?! Sorry... snapped a bit for a moment. This whole thing just enfuriates me.Lol, I say we all run away from home and build a fort in another country!Totally not come back when it gets dark out!

Or how about we fight for our rihhts!! Are forfathers didnt want us on a tight leash and theres no way we should be,it makes me sick!! All the bad **** out there and they say there bad for kids..how about video games? killing,raping,and stealing must be fine for them?!?!

But seriously,whould love to get together and take our control back!!! America is saposed to be the land of the free,not the land that stripes our rights and cost a big fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wtf

They can't stop DIY.

Of course they can't.....which if they try to limit flavorings, I will be forced to use, and possibly steal recipes from other DIYers on this board. But I REALLY don't think they'll go after flavorings, even though the attorneys-general of most states are asking them to. But if I do start doing DIY, expect a LOT of questions! I think hubby would have a heart attack if I started "cooking" my own e-juice better than I cook food.....because I don't cook food that well. But can't e-juice be mixed up quicker than a meal?

Frankly, and I suppose someone could enlighten me on this, but I didn't think flavoring was a big thing in cigarettes other than menthol (and some producers, like Marlboro, adding minor amounts of things like cocoa powder to the tobacco mixture that you could barely detect, and only on rare occasions); I don't recall flavored cigarettes being sold, just like the Strawberry Swishers, which it didn't apply to because they were considered cigars, and the flavoring rule didn't apply to cigars. Did it apply to chewing tobacco? I DO recall, I think seeing something like Spearmint Chew as opposed to regular or menthol (but the thought of chew grosses me out enough, add menthol to it, *shudder*).

Or how about we fight for our rihhts!! Are forfathers didnt want us on a tight leash and theres no way we should be,it makes me sick!! All the bad **** out there and they say there bad for kids..how about video games? killing,raping,and stealing must be fine for them?!?!

But seriously,whould love to get together and take our control back!!! America is saposed to be the land of the free,not the land that stripes our rights and cost a big fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wtf

Frankly, I don't have a problem if they regulate it as a nicotine problem, not a nicotine replacement therapy. Yes, they would attempt to regulate, but that would mean a NATIONWIDE ban on sales to minors (which I think we are all in agreement on). I don't think they can ban online sales because, as it has been noted before, cigarettes and cigars can be purchased online, both domestically and internationally (just not from Cuba).

As for video games, that's what parents are FOR. Heck, I know we may have been overprotective, but from the time my kids started spending time at their older cousin's place (who had GTA), not only were they forbidden to play it until they turned eighteen (and they didn't, we talked to the mother about it, too), they were forbidden to WATCH it being played until they were much older (they were like seven and nine then). Certain games can't be played until the age of 18 because of sexual content. So yeah, we're restrictive on games.

And vaporraper, it sounds as if you are advocating another civil war. Um, no. The last Civil War was the bloodiest and deadliest war this country EVER took part of, and it took place on our own soil. We have enough countries that would love to do some American damage, we don't need a war that they can pick sides and do just that. And there are enough middle eastern countries in the middle of their own civil issues.

We go into a Civil War, the world economy goes into more of a tailspin than it already is.

Edited by spydre

Of course they can't.....which if they try to limit flavorings, I will be forced to use, and possibly steal recipes from other DIYers on this board.  But I REALLY don't think they'll go after flavorings, even though the attorneys-general of most states are asking them to.  But if I do start doing DIY, expect a LOT of questions!  I think hubby would have a heart attack if I started "cooking" my own e-juice better than I cook food.....because I don't cook food that well.  But can't e-juice be mixed up quicker than a meal?

Frankly, and I suppose someone could enlighten me on this, but I didn't think flavoring was a big thing in cigarettes other than menthol (and some producers, like Marlboro, adding minor amounts of things like cocoa powder to the tobacco mixture that you could barely detect, and only on rare occasions); I don't recall flavored cigarettes being sold, just like the Strawberry Swishers, which it didn't apply to because they were considered cigars, and the flavoring rule didn't apply to cigars.  Did it apply to chewing tobacco?  I DO recall, I think seeing something like Spearmint Chew as opposed to regular or menthol (but the thought of chew grosses me out enough, add menthol to it, *shudder*).

Frankly, I don't have a problem if they regulate it as a nicotine problem, not a nicotine replacement therapy.  Yes, they would attempt to regulate, but that would mean a NATIONWIDE ban on sales to minors (which I think we are all in agreement on).  I don't think they can ban online sales because, as it has been noted before, cigarettes and cigars can be purchased online, both domestically and internationally (just not from Cuba). 

As for video games, that's what parents are FOR.  Heck, I know we may have been overprotective, but from the time my kids started spending time at their older cousin's place (who had GTA), not only were they forbidden to play it until they turned eighteen (and they didn't, we talked to the mother about it, too), they were forbidden to WATCH it being played until they were much older (they were like seven and nine then).  Certain games can't be played until the age of 18 because of sexual content.  So yeah, we're restrictive on games.

And vaporraper, it sounds as if you are advocating another civil war.  Um, no.  The last Civil War was the bloodiest and deadliest war this country EVER took part of, and it took place on our own soil.  We have enough countries that would love to do some American damage, we don't need a war that they can pick sides and do just that.  And there are enough middle eastern countries in the middle of their own civil issues.

We go into a Civil War, the world economy goes into more of a tailspin than it already is.

War is deff not the answer!! Mabe a srike of some kind? How many more rights are we gana hafta fight for in the future?how many rights did we already lose? I feel like having to fight for e cig's is just more bs..i guess theres never a easy answer but its crazy that americans hafta fight for the right to vape amungst other things!! Do you feel like you live in the land of the free?? I sure dont!!