New to Vaping Mechs

bluesurfboy

Just introducing myself here, new to this forum and really just got started vaping.

Started off with eGo Twist and ViviNova and tried a alot of other eGos, and VVs but just started recently trying and getting into Mechanicals.

I've noticed some builds get hot, too hot, almost from the very first hit you notice taste is changed, maybe slightly burnt. but then some other builds take a long time to heat up, great flavor but less vapor production.

Ive been trying to find that sweet spot and building almost daily to find it.

so far, my favorites.

2mm ekowool folded in half twice (for 4 layers) and 4/5 wrap with 30G kanthal to get amazing taste but was lacking in vapor production, pretty much Vivinova/Kanger vapor production

2mm silica wick folded in half twice (for 4 layers) and 2/3 wrap with 30G kanthal

so far, bad build

2mm ekowool trifold with 2/3 wrap with 28G kanthal [bURNS] - this is the burner i mentioned before, and i paid for this build from a local shop.

Any thoughts, suggestions improvements?

I am just learning now and would appreciate any feedback and thoughts.

I would stray away from the sub-ohm builds until you are more familiar with mechanicals and coil building. Remember, the lower the gauge (thicker the wire), the lower the resistance (ohms).

I am familiar with coil builds and mechanicals now, but still don't like to venture into sub-ohm territory for my go-to daily vaping builds. I do love to experiment with different coils, and love building the next craze, but I'm not looking to chase clouds all the time.

Try to find that sweet spot, great flavor and good vapor production. Play it safe.

I would stray away from the sub-ohm builds until you are more familiar with mechanicals and coil building. Remember, the lower the gauge (thicker the wire), the lower the resistance (ohms).

I am familiar with coil builds and mechanicals now, but still don't like to venture into sub-ohm territory for my go-to daily vaping builds. I do love to experiment with different coils, and love building the next craze, but I'm not looking to chase clouds all the time.

Try to find that sweet spot, great flavor and good vapor production. Play it safe.

Thank you for your feedback, I find that anything above 0.8OHMs is just too light for me, No point in having an RDA if you arent getting better flavor and vapor production than a vivinova tank.

I know i that i want to be in the .5-.75 range depending on my juice and needs. anything above 0.8 and i find myself holding the button a second or more before and throughout entire draw and its still not enough.

Use COTTON ! It's very easy to work with so making variety of coils is possible because of cotton. It's a lot easier to put cotton in a nano coil than any other wicks..

I tried the cotton micro coil build (i believe its called dragon coil) checked with guy at shop and build was done right, but vapor would not trail in two streams like on the YT video, and the taste was too much like cotton, is there any way to get rid of that?

If your dragon isn't breathing right, it could only be due to either the angle or wick not done correctly. It took me a few tries to get the vapor streaming, and it turned out to be the wick not being done right. Under and over, then wrapped around the end and tucked under. Make sure the end is completely covered, with only the top part of the coil open. It should look like this..

DragonWick_zpse17f4b2c.jpg

You can see the top of one side, and the back of the other coil is completely covered.

Pull the cotton under the coil and through the posts, then wrap over the top around the post, over the bottom end of the coil and tuck it under. Do the exact same thing with the bottom portion of the cotton. It should be completely covered after that.

please do more research and have necessary tools

please pick up an ohm reader of some sort

please read the safeties of batters and safe ohms to run per battery

Thank you for your comment, that is basics. I have had experience in electronics, messing with other mechanicals, VV and vaping mods for 3-4 years now just in other areas.

but as humans, you do forget some details from time to time. Just because i ask for boil time, its not because i dont already know the concept and have a working understanding. im simply looking for feedback on what works well for others.

new to vaping mechs [in ecig], its specifically in this space (ecig) different viscosity flows and vapes in different ways, even the liquid matrix makes a difference.

Edited by bluesurfboy

If your dragon isn't breathing right, it could only be due to either the angle or wick not done correctly. It took me a few tries to get the vapor streaming, and it turned out to be the wick not being done right. Under and over, then wrapped around the end and tucked under. Make sure the end is completely covered, with only the top part of the coil open. It should look like this..

DragonWick_zpse17f4b2c.jpg

You can see the top of one side, and the back of the other coil is completely covered.

Pull the cotton under the coil and through the posts, then wrap over the top around the post, over the bottom end of the coil and tuck it under. Do the exact same thing with the bottom portion of the cotton. It should be completely covered after that.

Thank you for this 3rutez, i took off my dragon coil but i like the look of your setup, a bit puffier than mine was but looks nice and clean, are you able to get the two streams of vapor from each coil like the YT videos?

I did follow the video as best as I could but to be honest only tried wicking with cotton once before tearing down the build. I should have experimented some more while i had my micro coils up.

Ill have to try it again, ill be sure to take pics and if it fires ok/well even do a video, you may be able to give me some insight that I overlooked.

Edited by bluesurfboy

RiP Trippers did the best and most thorough tutorial for the nano dragon coil build.

yeah that is the same video, guess you just got more skills lol looking nice, will have to give that another run, you using cotton balls or is that cotton wick you've taken apart? looks a little different than what i have

Edited by bluesurfboy