*Share Your Coil Builds*

3Rutez

I stopped by my buddy's vape bar the other day, and he asked me the same thing he always does, which is what crazy coil am I building at the moment. I told him about the Tiger Coil, twisting 28g and .8 ribbon wire together. He immediately grabbed the drill and twisted some up, lol. Dual tiger on an iGo-W at .2ohms, and it hits like a champ with awesome flavor. I need to order some ribbon and more 28g.

Pics please,would love to see it! :-)

I stopped by my buddy's vape bar the other day, and he asked me the same thing he always does, which is what crazy coil am I building at the moment. I told him about the Tiger Coil, twisting 28g and .8 ribbon wire together. He immediately grabbed the drill and twisted some up, lol. Dual tiger on an iGo-W at .2ohms, and it hits like a champ with awesome flavor. I need to order some ribbon and more 28g.

That's awsome lol. I can't wait to get me a mech mod. The MVP 2 ain't to good for some builds.

Okay, so my other half showed me a youtube video of this guy vaping what he called a "supersoaker" coil. There was vapor coming out of the air holes in the tank. Not to mention the clouds. So.....does that use up a lot of juice, these specialty builds to make the bigger clouds, or to hit harder (like sub ohm at regular voltage rating, super high watts rating)?

Yes RBA/RDA generally chew up the juice. I've been using my Kayfun 3.1 steadily the last 3 days and I'm going thru 2-3 tanks a day. It holds 4.5-5ml. That's also using 2-3 other mods as well, cartotanks and my fogger. KFL has a vertical chimney build w/ hemp at 1.4ohms.

Here's a pic if my KFL coil. I'll try and grab one next time I open it up to refresh the hemp. I need to find a spacer for the neg post so the leg is even instead of angled.

null_zps745ed1f6.jpg

null_zps3ba3e253.jpg

Edited by Proetus

Here's a pic if my KFL coil. I'll try and grab one next time I open it up to refresh the hemp. I need to find a spacer for the neg post so the leg is even instead of angled.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice build proetus I'm hoping to be getting. Kayfun this weekend.

The "super soaker" build is a popular sub-ohm build for new drippers who are chasing clouds. The vapor that you see shooting from the air holes is sort of like a reverse primer puff. They say it helps to improve flavor.

The "super soaker" build is a popular sub-ohm build for new drippers who are chasing clouds. The vapor that you see shooting from the air holes is sort of like a reverse primer puff. They say it helps to improve flavor.

Would u recomend doing that for a other setups that are nit sub-ohm and is that something u do every time u add fluid?

I don't do it. I'm not fond of fluid leaking out, which is what can occur with even the slightest exhale into the tip, in my experience at least. They usually do it with each fresh pull on the dripper, not just directly after dripping.

Alright i never got around to posting more pics of the KFL coil as i just got on a roll and built it without taking any pictures. Building my two Rockets which are essentially the same build. On a side note, the blue turned purple after soaking with dawn dishsoap wtf!

null_zps665304ae.jpg

Coils built 1.7Ω and a 2.0Ω.

null_zps49ead40b.jpg

Closeup

null_zps2e04ac97.jpg

First wrap of hemp before installing the chimney. The hemp was presoaked to enable positioning and it also makes it easier because its expanded already.

null_zps4edd73b8.jpg

With chimney installed and additional hemp packed in. Finish assembly, fill and vape!

Edited by Proetus

Alright i never got around to posting more pics of the KFL coil as i just got on a roll and built it without taking any pictures. Building my two Rockets which are essentially the same build. On a side note, the blue turned purple after soaking with dawn dishsoap wtf!

Posted Image

Coils built 1.7Ω and a 2.0Ω.

Posted Image

Closeup

Posted Image

First wrap of hemp before installing the chimney. The hemp was presoaked to enable positioning and it also makes it easier because its expanded already.

Posted Image

With chimney installed and additional hemp packed in. Finish assembly, fill and vape!

Nice builds proetus!!!!. How dose the hemp do? And where can u buy some at?. I did a 11 wrap micro on a 5/64 came out at 1.7 ohms.

Love the hemp. So much more robust then cotton. Can generally go 3-4 weeks before having to change it. Takes about a day to clean it between the oxyclean soak, and boil/rinse cycles. Takes about two tanks before it's broken in tho.

http://www.hemptraders.com/product-p/f-dg1.htm

However that's sold by the Kilogram. More then you'll ever use. Maybe get together with some other folks here and go in together.

Edited by Proetus

Okay, Proteus, because the picture is there, and I'm an uneducated fool about this, I see the first picture with wicking material just around the coil, but why do you need so much of the extra that you packed in, rather than just running the wick with the coil?

Short answer, to prevent flooding.

Long answer, if you look at the second picture, you can see the two channels on the base and that run up the sides of the deck. This is how the juice gets from the tank to the coil. In the last picture you can see the base of the chimney that goes from the bottom up to just past the coils. The channels allow the juice to flow up and keep the hemp saturated. With the packing just right, you should never get a dry hit or flooding.

In essence the vertical chimney build is a super Carto.

Hope that helps!

Hi guys... the Tiger Coil is my creation. Rip Trippers gave me full credit for it, but he doesn't do it like me. I twist mine tighter. Rip said he tried both and preferred the looser twist. But he also aims for a higher resistance than myself and wraps on a larger bit. Here's a copy and paste that I posted elsewhere. It includes my thoughts on each variation that I have tried. I am a cloud chaser by nature as it has been a fascination of mine long before vaping even existed. But I am also a flavor junkie. This idea came about because I was always a fan of Tinman coils. The crisp flavor production from ribbon wire is something I'm a huge fan of. But ribbon wire doesn't stack up to round wire when it comes to density and warmth. So I decided to see if I could twist these two wires together while retaining the shape you achieve when twisting a single strand of ribbon.

Here's my tutorial... definitely not as high quality as Rip's.
Pics of them up close:
Original Tiger Coil - .9 ribbon twisted with 28g round kanthal and wrapped on a 5/64 bit. It's a single macro coil and really brings out the undertones of the juices I have tried. Particularly Pluid. Now, I'm not a huge fan of Pluid by itself, but I loved it on this setup. The anise was subdued and I was getting a lot of limeaid type flavor out of it. It was so good that I am now mixing 1/4 Pluid with 3/4 VapeOholic Kryptonite which is a very good limeaid flavor. It is sadly my ADV now. I say sadly because of the cost lol. I need to figure out how to DIY a limeaid with a touch of anise.
mujm.jpg
Tiger Coil v2 - .8 ribbon twisted with 30g kanthal and wrapped on a 1/16 bit. Again, I tested with Pluid. The anise came back, but lime was still very present. Throat hit was bumped way up to the point that 6mg was hitting strong.
6grk.jpg
Tiger Coil v oh forget it... - I went back to the .9 ribbon with 28g so I can wrap it like the v2 to again compare the differences. I hit around the same resistance as well, maybe .2 less. Vapor production was bumped up pretty significantly and again, the anise in Pluid was back in almost full swing. But still that damn good lime was present. But the anise just didn't do it for me at this level of in your face. So I went back to mixing with the limeaid flavor and never looked back. This version stayed in my setup for over 20 tanks until I broke down and tore it apart. Held up like a freaking champ and could have gone longer.
3wl9.jpg
Current Tiger coil - .8 ribbon with 28g wrapped on 1/16. Oddly enough, I tried to go higher on the resistance by keeping the same amount of wraps as the .9 ribbon version, but got a slightly less resistance. This is a prime example of why the number of wraps do not matter when trying to determine resistance especially when it comes to twisting. It's the length! Anyway, this is my least favorite variation. Vapor production is the least out of the others. Overall flavor is subdued, but still a clean vape.
nvos.jpg
I've also been dripping my Pluid/Kryptonite mixture to compare to the Tiger coil setups. The flavor is flat out different. I've always said that different coils seem to pull out different notes in various juices. When Rip tried my build, I did not tell him my thoughts on it. His review mirrored my personal thoughts on the flavor production. By the way, if you like throat hit and you are a rebuilder, try this out and let me know your thoughts! Heck, any rebuilder should try and let me know what you think. Hope you enjoyed my dissertation!
Edited by Hadouken