What does vaping mean to you?

(First things first, and I'm a journalist looking to gather some opinion/first-hand knowledge for an article I'm doing on electronic cigarettes. I understand any suspicious glances, but no worries! I only seek words from the experienced. No agenda planned, promise. From lurking around, Vaportalk seems like a very warm community, really. Looking foward to my short time here :).)

~

A little philosophical:

What does vaping mean to you, on a personal level?

A practical means to lessen conventional cigarette use? A belief in the wonders of technology? A metaphorical fresh start?

I'm interested in the deeper reasons behind your dedication towards electronic cigarettes. Sorry if that sounds a bit lame (or if, I hope not, I posted this in the wrong forum), but it would be extremely appreciated if you all could help me get a little idea of the mindsets of e-cig fans and supporters.

So, what does vaping represent to you?

Thank you for reading.

Edited by castorsimon

It is late and time for bed for me. For now I will say I like your approach and I will do a write up for you. I will draft it in MSword then post it here. No worry if you posted in the wrong area the mods can move it if they feel the need. On the short I have been vaping for 4 years now, and use to sell e-cigs in my Computer store. It was selling them that made me realize how important they were in saving peoples lives, not just my own..

A short answer though..

I like nicotine. The same as we all like cars and made them less deadly with new technology, e-cigs make the nicotine I enjoy far less deadly with new technology. Everything you enjoy in life carries some risk, reduce it when you can. Even lighting carries risk that has been reduced with technology. There used to be candles that can burn houses down, then light bulbs that can burn children, then CFLs with mercury, and now LEDs!

OK, longer, more in depth answer to come. I'll even include my back story. :)

Ok, firstly, please forgive any proofreading mistakes. I dropped my damn contacts down the sink.

To understand why I vape, it helps to know a little of my back story. Thus, that is where I will start.

I began smoking in my teens. What brought me back for my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and then my first pack of my own, was nicotine. I love nicotine. It helps with a lot of what I've got going on. I also loved everything about smoking. The taste, the feeling of inhaling smoke, lighting it, opening a fresh pack, it was my thing.

However, I am also a multiple. If you haven't heard that term, it's what psychologists would label "multiple personalities". We donn't see ourselves as mere "personalities", and we don't consider it a "disorder". {I have issues, but multiplicity isnn't why I have those issues).

Since I share the body with these other people, and I didn't want to kill them, I gave up smoking. It's been 12 years since I've had a regular cigarette (until recently, I had 1). I thought, over time, I would eventually loose my desire to smoke. Nope. 12 years, every day, "I want a cigarette", "Damn, I wish I had a cigarette!". I also gnawed on asolutely everything from finger nails to pens, bottle caps, you name it.

Stress brought me to the point where I was at the store, ready to buy cigarettes again, and undo 12 years of not smoking. Last minute, I piked up a disposable e-cig istead. It solved my problem! I finally don't want a cigarette! I'm FINALLY not tempted, constantly, to go get a pack of Camels.

That is why I now vape. I enjoy nicotine. By now, I'd be back smoking. So now I vape instead. My headmates mean a lot to me. I don't care what happens to me, myself, but I don't want to kill my headmates by smoking with their lungs. For me, vaping is harm reduction by technology. Just like I still take the risk to drive, but I have air bags and use a seat belt. Nothing in life is a 100% safe, absolutely nothing. Even typing this post, I could be hurt if my laptop battery is faulty. Life is all about balancing risk and quality of life.

-Miakoda

of

The JC Klatch

Edited by HelloMiakoda

• 2 months later...

Vaping is an important part of my life and I vape heavily after kicking a 3 pack a day habit. I started smoking at age 12 and it sounds awful but everyone in my family smoked. To me it was normal. In the early 80's people smoked everywhere, while grocery shopping, high schools had smoking areas and they even smoked in my Aunt's Sunday school class! I really thought I'd go to the grave a smoker. Then almost 9 months ago a visiting family member turned me on to vaping. I went to his vape shop and was impressed the minute I walked in by the great vibe. Every employee was vaping, most chain vaped clouds that smelled great. The place was packed and I was amazed at how patiently all my questions were answered as my ejuice was being custom made to my exact request. I'm so glad my starter kit came with Vision Spinners, I got lucky and still prefer them. Analogs have been out of my life completely since I found vaping. I just don't crave them at all now. I discovered by absentmindedly lighting up someone else's cig that they taste just awful now and that's great. I'm saving my health and so much money now. I was spending a luxury car payment each month on analogs. I've also cut my initial nicotine level in half and will go down further if it doesn't mess with me. I can't stress enough how important, how vital vaping is to millions of people. I see young people walking around in public sporting their lanyards and vaping away. I'm glad it's cool to them instead of tobacco: Many people have begun vaping juice without nicotine. I've had loved ones die from lung cancer, the most horrific of deaths. Vaping may save me from that fate and will certainly save people who haven't smoked long. Vaping is also delicious, satisfies my sweet tooth plus I've lost weight. I appreciate everyone whose involved with the ecig industry, it just keeps getting better and better.

• 2 months later...

I smoked for 45 years, having began at 11 years old-sneaking them. My parents did not smoke but my older siblings all did.

I am a nervous sort of lady and nicotine has calmed me most the time. Came down with COPD in my 30's but could not quit smoking.

A month ago I almost died from inability to breathe and was rushed to the hospital. It was then I knew I could not ever smoke a real cig again.

Took to vaping like a duck takes to water-don't even crave an analog. DIY, the whole bit. Use an Ego that I like a lot but know those smaller

things don't work for me. May get a mod yet-not in a hurry-loving what I have.

My son was 3 when I made the switch. For too long he was complaining about not being able to come in the kitchen with me because I was smoking. He would say "I know mommy, I can't sit on your lap because you're having a bad cigarette". Now I don't have to worry about finishing my cigarette when my son wants my attention. I just put my ecig down. I don't run out of breath as easily while playing and I never need a cigarette break or have to worry if I'm blowing a cloud of chemicals in my poor kid's face. Of all the reasons I love vaping, my son is the best reason.

• 10 months later...

I do no believe most of the people know why they are having the habits that they do..it is just a habit and there are likely to be many reasons for it.  For me the reasons were:

1. I was paying 10$ for a pack of smokes - I smoked 1 pack a day

2. I was married and my wife hated it when I smoked inside the house. Once my son was born, I was told I am not allowed to smoke inside the house at all!!!

3. I had to smoke outside on the veranda which was not covered.  That means that when I wanted to smoke and it was raining, I really had no choice....it was either not to smoke or smoke under the rain..I would often choose to smoke under the rain :) Very unpleasant.

4. Could not smoke in my office.  Had to go 5 floors down to a designated area...very annoying and time consuming

5. Some minor concerns about the long term effects of smoking cigarettes.

In short it was the combined forces of money, time, convenience and healthy concerns for those around me and to some extent myself.

It has saved my life,I used to be very overweight and I smoked a pack a day.I have since lost 40 pounds and have completely kicked the nasty habit of cigarettes.I've been vaping for almost a year and its the best thing to ever happen to me.I could stop vaping tomorrow and I would be just fine,but i enjoy it and its more of a hobby to me now.It makes me happy to help others with the overwhelming endeavor of quitting cigarettes. Because I know first hand like others on this forum that it is not easy.With support and the right information it can be done.That is what vaping means to me.