Twisted Coils

GEFFiCART

For those who use twisted coils I wanted this thread to share your builds as well as give info to twisted coils for people interested in getting into twisted coils.

For the general information I've been reading and what I know from electronic building I know when you twist 2 kanthal wires together you're making the overall mass and thickness therefore giving you less resistance. You're essentially giving the electrons more space to move freely in a thicker wire than a thin wire.

I've seen some threads where people also comment that a twisted coil is an equivalent to a dual coil. But as far as I know a twisted coil and a dual coil are two different things. A dual coil has two heating elements wired in parallel therefore halving your resistance. Where as a twisted coil by itself is a single coil with two stands of twisted wire giving you a thicker wire to allow a builder to have more wraps as well as have tiny gaps between each wrap for more vapor to be released.

I haven't built a twisted coil yet, but I may in the future.

I just wanted to know what everyone here has done, seen, or know!

28g twisted wire

Twisting_zps2080156c.jpg

Twisted micro coil on a 5/64 drill bit

9WrapsT_zps02739758.jpg

Same coil with cotton wick in an Igo-W

TwistedCoil_zps735e214a.jpg

A much tighter twist. 1.3ohm coil on an RSST. I have had this setup for over 2 weeks, and it's my favorite so far.

TwistedRSST_zpsa6fa3df6.jpg

I am no longer searching for the perfect coil, as I have found it. Best flavor and vapor production out of all the builds I have tried, even those in an RDA.

That coil on the RSST is nasty.

I have 28g and a dremel I might try this soon.

The RSST I want it built like a daily, a good casual vape, not too much vapor but flavorful. Right now I'm at a 1.1ohm 7 wrap with 28g kanthal using cotton.

I love it, its great! And I can chain vape without too much heat or dry hits.

Plus the added fact is looks sexy! lol

I have and RSST coming in vape mail, I want to do some wicking experiments. It seems to be better built than the AGT2... I hate the center post lead connection on the AGT2. I think I'll be doing a twist coil on it.

Edited by Compenstine

maybe i'll try it sometime this week

my fiancé took my other nemesis on an igo w, she wants an upgrade from her KPT2 lol. i built a tricro coil at work and now i doubt i'll get to put it on with her vaping all the time lol. I gotta pick myself up some more igo-ws

Like I said in another thread I love twisted micro coils. For my KPT2 I use a 5/64 mini screwdriver, 32g A1 kanthal wire, and make 8 wraps. It comes out to 1.4-1.5 ohms. I normally stay within that range as I use a kick2. One day I will venture into the sub ohms, obviously without the kick.

Edited by dragongunner

Take a pic and post it here if you get a chance. Would love to see the different types of twists you guys put on your builds. ;)

yup! that's the purpose of this thread, to keep up to date knowledge of twisted coils and a way to show off your builds!

I'm not a pro yet but here is my 1.4 ohm twisted micro coil build for my KPT2. 1. Just wrapped on my 5/64 mini screwdriver 2. After the heating process 3. completed coil in housing 4. another close up 5. loaded with unboiled organic cotton 6. Time to enjoy. I hope you enjoy the pics.

20131120_135754-1.jpg20131120_140558-1.jpg20131120_134011-1.jpg20131120_134050-2.jpg20131120_134923.jpg20131120_150002.jpg

I just made a very tight twist, very similar to your 1.3ohm coil on your rsst. The tighter twist brought the ohms up .1-.2, now its reading 1.6 a little higher than I like but it is vaping extremely well. The clouds coming out of my KPT2 are insane, nearly obscene imo, but I love it. I wonder how it will work out around 1.3-1.4? On my next build I will do a 7/6 or a 6/5 wrap rather than a 8/7 wrap and see they come out to.

Edited by dragongunner

Very cool thread!!!

I need to get some coil making supplies. Can you buy the wire at a craft store??

No, you can get some good deals on Ebay and Amazon though. You want to start with Kanthal A1 32, 24, and or 28 gauge. :) There are other types, but my advice is to wait on them until you comfortable building coils.

I totally agree with Compenstine. Supplies are best bought on Amazon and Ebay. B&M shops and online vape sites are normally way more expensive. Check out VaporJoes from time to time. He normally posts some really good deals from various sites as well.

I didn't have any luck with my first twist build. Seem too hot for the insulator. Burnt rubber taste always. Similarly, the dual nano build also seems too hot. I got my arc welder up and running again, so I might try one with non-resistance lead this weekend.

Edit:

For wire, try TEMCo Industrial Power Supply. All kind of resistance and non-resistance wire.

Edited by pdoan2006

This is my first attempt at a sub ohm dual twisted nano coil on a mini rda. I used 30ga twisted kanthal with a 9/8 on each wrap which put the build out to .5 ohms. Drilled out the air hole to 1.5mm on the rda and plugged the original hole with the end of a toothpick. This thing puts out some serious vapor and hits nearly way too hard for me. I most likely wont use it all the time with this set up. It just goes to show what I tend to do when I get bored after work. I tend to attempt builds that I've never done before.

Oh I must have bumped the last wrap on the bottom coil but it still works perfectly. Try for perfection next time.

20131201_150608.jpg

Edited by dragongunner