Charger issue

the light should turn red while charging, green when fully charged. try cleaning the connections on the charger and the battery. I use isopropyl alcohol to clean the threads. if that doesn't help...could be a dead charger. does the charger work on any other batteries?

I went to my battery that has been on the charger all night, but lit green. I took it off, unlocked it, it lit up (was too dead to when I put it on), and had an idea. I disconnected the charger from the usb, usb adapter from the wall, and put it all back together with the battery button not locked out. Now it's red.

I swear, I tried so many times last night taking the battery off the charger, disconnecting and reconnecting the USB, trying the connections in a different order, trying different USB wall plugs.... nothing worked.

Does the battery need to be unlocked to charge?

I'm glad I have 2 big batteries, I have to wait that whole charge cycle again.

I can use any 510 threaded USb charger, right? I want a couple spares and one to leave at home. Any that charge faster?

The battery does not have to be on or off to charge. There are some variations as to what the battery does while charging. Some turn off. Others stay on. Manufacturing differences.

Most of the problems associated with charging come from second rate chargers and batteries. You get what you pay for generally speaking. There have been a lot of threads on problem chargers and batteries and most have been cheap knock offs. That being said, not all knock offs are bad.

Best result is with a compatable charger. I believe the rating is 420ma output. I think the max is 500ma. The rest are mechanical problems; dirty contacts on battery or charger, cheap materials that dont conduct well, misalignment of posts, faulty wall plug.

Try cleaning the charger and battery first. If you have been using the other battery, it should be depleted enough to test on the charger

Please be sure it is unplugged first. ;) I know I shouldn't have to mention this but people have, in the past, Had the charger plugged in while cleaning with less than happy results. :popo:

• 5 years later...

I had the same issue. Always locked the battery to charge it and it was always green. I just got it today so I thought it was an issue with the charger because when I bought it I didnt lock it and drove to work with it plugged into my car for about 30 mins. So I managed to use it for about 5 hits when I got to work thinking everything was fine. At work it wouldnt work anymore but the light was on so I figured it was working but it wasnt. In my head the battery was dead but when I plugged it back in (with it locked) the light stayed green, and I couldn't get it to work the rest of the night tonight. I just got home and was messing around with it and finally plugged it in unlocked and the light turned red and it finally started charging. So yes, some models I believe are set up to where you have to have it unlocked to charge!!!! I wish the company would tell you this when you buy it...... kinda seems like they are losing money on returns because of it. Dumb business strategy