What is your epic device disaster?

I figured I would add a Device Disaster topic after what happen to me today. Just a few days ago I recieved my replacement SID do to the other being a bad unit. Today is the day I'm taking out the dock and boats as winter is coming. My boat needs a new bilge pump and had some water in it. I bent over to set my hose down in the water to pump it out and PLOOP in goes my SID. Even though i grabed it out very quickly, water got inside the VV VW part of the device. There is no way of popping it apart so it can dry out. There are water drops on the inside of the disdplay. :crybaby: I know I can only blame my self but $%@# it Why... Why... :wallbash:

What kind of boat you have?

Anyway I do not have anything really epic. I have jumped off the swim platform of my boat with my lanyard still on, but never hurt anything amazingly. My wife has done this several times, and nothing went wrong except the tank needing a good cleaning lol.

I have broken more stuff at home than on the boat, and that is opposite what I thought would happen. My wife broke the glass on a KPT on the boat letting it roll off the seat but other than that and jumping in the water with our lanyards around our neck nothing really epic has happened.

Going down tomorrow to drain my fresh water tanks, pump out the head one last time, and cover her up for my guy to come and winterize the engine, AC, and water system. I hate winter. I wish I lived somewhere where it is 84 for the high and 72 for the low 365 days a year!

A 1995 Nitro 185 Sport, 115hp Tracker

nitro185_01.jpg

I have lost many a cigalike, had them fall into the lake as well, but, they are manual and not quite the disaster of having my SID take a dunk. I'll let it dry for a week or so before firing it up. I don't want to take the risk with water drops in it.

Also a Hobie Outback

HobieOutback_01.jpg

How do you thumbnail pics on this board? LOL

Edited by Compenstine

Nice! When you said you had to pump out the head I figured it would be a bigger boat. ;) lol I live on the lake so I didn't need a big boat. Just like to go out Bass fish. Nice Fish BTW ;) The lake I live on is 290 acre all sports lake, the lake is like 10" from my front door.

Yea Knoxville, where I live, is on the Tennessee River system and we have several huge mountain type lakes here all linked by a series of dams and locks. I can start out in Knoxville TN and go to the coast without ever hitting dry land lol. Someday, I will make that trip but it will be in a much bigger boat than I have now.

This was Memorial Day at a Fireworks show with our group. Fun stuff. An e-cig got submerged a couple times this weekend. I am amazed they still worked lol.

943077_4912395968071_1466150435_n_zpsa6f

Ahhhhwwww hanging out in the boat watching fireworks. Always fun! Our lake puts on a fireworks show every 4th always go out in the boat to watch :) I live about 35 miles from Lake Michigan, could do the same from there but I wanted a house on a lake insted. Have 2 1/2 acres and 210 foot of frontage. Been in our family since 1946. Sounds like you enjoy your crusing. :)

No disasters with mods or batterys yet----but I have spilt some juice and even accidentally mixed juices that were never meant to intertwine.

Compenstine --I have read that rice helps absorb moisture so maybe place your SID in a bowl or bag of uncooked rice. I would give it a week before trying to fire it, maybe put in warm place for 6 hours too may help it dry out but would do rice first and then warm spot like a car. Good luck on restoring it. It could happen to anyone, I know I have forgotten to take my eye glasses off before going into the ocean and wave come and practically take the glasses off my face. lol

i love boats and being on or near water, like you BC I could easily live year round in a place where it stays fairly warm year round just because nice temps and fun water and fishing activitys are way more fun when your not freezing your fingers./ toes off.

Compenstine --I have read that rice helps absorb moisture so maybe place your SID in a bowl or bag of uncooked rice. I would give it a week before trying to fire it, maybe put in warm place for 6 hours too may help it dry out but would do rice first and then warm spot like a car. Good luck on restoring it. It could happen to anyone, I know I have forgotten to take my eye glasses off before going into the ocean and wave come and practically take the glasses off my face. lol

Thank you Tz, I had forgot about the rice trick. I had it next to the heater all day and all night and there are no more signs of water on the screen. I will toss it in some rice tomorrow. I don't have any atm ;)

Well the SID is acting odd, cutting off for no reason. I have to disconnect the battery for 5 seconds to get it working again. I get a "Low Vol" message now when the battery reaches 3.4 volts. Since I now have a Vamo V5 it has become my back up for my backups :)

• 2 months later...

I was at my girlfriend's parent's house. Her brother came out of the bathroom and announced that he had taken a huge crap. Her family are really hardcore rednecks and they all glorify smoking like no other, they would laugh at me if they saw me using an ecig. Her father is also a chain smoker, so being there really makes me crave since I'm basically constantly inhaling his second-hand smoke when he's around.

Anyways even though I know it'll smell awful, I go into the bathroom to take a few hits on my ecig and I drop it right in the toilet. This is not a clean toilet, they're the kind of people who stick automatic bowl cleaners and think they're sufficiently cleaning (God only knows how long that cleaner has been on the toilet. So I have to reach in and pull the thing out. And then I was left for the rest of the stay without anything. Not a fun time :/

Latest to go plunk is my hammer mod and kayfun 3 days after i got. Work on a dredge so I've lost countless numbers of vape gear and cell phones

That sucks,i feel for you man!! Mabe you might wana make a lanyard to make sure it dosent hapen again..

Sry u lost that stuff...wish i could snap my fingers and make it reapear in ure pocket!!