It's a good thing the media didn't hear about this

spydre

Someone on the CASAA fb boards shared this reddit post. It's a good thing that somehow Child Protective Services or the police weren't called in, thus relating in a media firestorm.

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/1o8vdn/psa_be_incredibly_careful/

A mother of a 2 year old left her juice in the living room - sounds as off the dog chewed the lid off very quickly, and the two year old drank a good bit of it. Thanks to the quick discovery, and the mother's quick action, tragedy was prevented in this case. I KNOW all of us that are parents, because we KNOW the dangers of this stuff are careful with our juice, although sometimes we may not think about our pets. I know there have been times after I've filled my tanks that my dog's tried to lick my hands before I could wash them. A mg or two of nicotine absorbed through our skin isn't a big deal, but to a toddler, or to the dog, it's a very big deal.

One poster in that thread commented that because he and his wife drip, the juice is constantly out, but their five year old knows it's poison, not to touch it, whatever. That's not a boundary I'd be willing to test.

Yeah, my kids are going to be 17 and 19 in December. Once they were older, and we trusted them enough, we would leave the analogs within reach, and they never attempted to touch them, because, well, they KNEW. And by the time we were almost done smoking, hubby still wouldn't let them even bring us an ASHTRAY. Of course, by that time, the most common phrase out of their mouths was asking us to quit smoking. So now? Nope, they won't touch the vaping stuff. We still keep the stuff in cabinets and our tackle boxes, because we outgrew the desk cabinets, not to keep it away from the kids, but to keep it away from the dog, who will eat anything that smells good.

We just had a poster LAST week come on here asking for advise about the very same thing he spilled 30 ml of juice and wasnt sure if or how much his one year old ingested . freaked me out I just told him to get her to the ER right away! cant be too careful IMO.

The media will hear this, along with the FDA and anyone else monitoring that section of Reddit. Everyone monitors Reddit, you would be surprised how many news media outlets get their latest leads from Reddit. That is why they use the tag line, "The Front Page of the Internet". lol

The ER also contacted Poison Control. The whole ordeal has been reported and documented.

Edited by BirdDog

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny you mention leaving the analogs out. My parents were both smokers and from the age of 5 i was stealing their analogs and sneaking off for cigs with friends. at age 6 i bought my first can of Hawkens tobacco. It was very common for children to have access to the analog stuff back in the day.

If there were children around my house i would definately keep the stuff out of reach it's just too dangerous and they don't understand those dangers. When the kiddo's come over for holidays etc i lock up my cabinets (nicotine and gun) and then lock the room they are in.

The kids getting ahold of something like that can destroy many many lives.

Being an adult means accepting responsibility for the things in your house.

Therefore LOCK it up and hide the key!