Micro Coil, Cotton Wick KPT2 Build

3Rutez

No problem. I also figured out how to make a micro coil on a 1/16 drill bit with my drill. It makes it tight enoigh that you dont need to squeeze it with tweezers and heat it. Just torch it as is.

Yeah, I need to try that out. Here is a link to a how-to video on coiling using a drill. It is intended for beading, but is a universal method. :D

Edited by 3Rutez

I am waiting on a thing to come in as we speak to measure the resistance... If I'm not hitting the right resistant will that lead to flavor spitting? It smokes great, but the flavor isn't what I expected... Tasted very cottony and yes I did saturate it. So even though I am doing the 12 wraps, and the torching, I may not be hitting 1.8 ohms? And if not what do I do if it isn't measuring 1.8?

The higher the gauge, the higher the resistance. The lower the gauge, the lower the resistance.

With 28g, 12 wraps around a 5/64" drill bit gives you 1.8ohm.

With 32g, you would do 4 wraps around the same 5/64" drill bit to achieve 1.8ohm.

What are you using to wrap the coil around?

Edited by 3Rutez

I highly suggest downloading the 'Vapor's Toolbox' if you own an Android device. It will give you a general idea before you build your coil.

I am waiting on a thing to come in as we speak to measure the resistance... If I'm not hitting the right resistant will that lead to flavor spitting? It smokes great, but the flavor isn't what I expected... Tasted very cottony and yes I did saturate it. So even though I am doing the 12 wraps, and the torching, I may not be hitting 1.8 ohms? And if not what do I do if it isn't measuring 1.8?

I just use a Multimeter. You can pickup one at Radio Shack starting at $24.99.

I have been hearing that you can get one for free at Harbor Freight. I would look into that. I have also seen people take the leads from their multimeter and hook them up to a 510 connection that they set into an electrical box. Pretty neat idea, and also one where they inserted the 510 connection right into the multimeter itself.

I will page Dr. Google and see if I can find a DIY tutorial. I have only seen pictures so far, but it is a fairly simple procedure.

I could't find a tutorial, but you basically solder the positive wire to the positive portion (inner) of the 510 connection, and the negative wire to the negative portion (outer).

Here is a pic I pulled from a vape group on FB. This is the 510 inserted into a project box.

510OHMultimeter_zps0d82b83f.jpg

Here is one where they installed it into the multimeter itself.

510OHMulti_zps866ceffb.jpg

You got me thinking... Here is the meter I have:

pRS1-7922775w345.jpg

The area that stores the cables is a perfect spot to mod this out for testing ecig batts and atomizers. It even has a flip lid that will keep it all in one nice unit. I strip all my old batts and attys for parts so I have plenty of connector parts.

Ah yeah, that would be an awesome housing for it. :D Do it to it!

This thread was initially started as just a simple KPT rebuild, but it has spawned some great info on building altogether.

Edited by 3Rutez

That's a brilluant idea on the multi meter. I have an old one that has been replaced. I'm off to see what I can Frankenstein together.

Sb - not sure what u mean by flavor spitting but sounds like your resistance is too low (for your battery which I believe is an ego vv. ) do you get lots of snap crackle pop when you fire it and you can feel the juice splashing up the tip? then I bet your resistance is too low (less than 1.6)

You could possibly damage your battery trying coils without measuring them

Been getting little time over the last couple of days to work on the multimeter mod but I'm close to being done. All that is left to do soilder the connections and give it a whirl. It will have 510 and 901 atty and batt connections. I have also left room for 4 adapters to test any standard atty or batt.

• 2 weeks later...

That will definitely lead to a tight draw and/or flooding. Glad you got it working. Rip is the man. When I get a chance, I might try to build his Tricro coil. I haven't been experimenting with coil builds since I put the twisted micro on my RSST. It's perfect for me.

That will definitely lead to a tight draw and/or flooding. Glad you got it working. Rip is the man. When I get a chance, I might try to build his Tricro coil. I haven't been experimenting with coil builds since I put the twisted micro on my RSST. It's perfect for me.
Twisted micro you say? Now that.... I must try. Gotta find my drill for wire twisting. What abouts a twisted micro with flat ribbon wire?!

I would give it a shot if I had some ribbon wire. I only had a very small length, and the Tinman was all I could build. Do it to it Medic!! :D

The eVic would always pull that crap with me. I only use it as an ohm reader now. Anything under 1.1ohm will read as an atomizer short. I am never going back to regular tanks or VV/VW, not after getting an RBA and going the mechanical route. Just gotta keep it safe and not venture into the unknown. :D