How To Rebuild A KPT Head - A Pictorial Tutorial

Rixter

• 3 months later...

Here's a hastily compiled tutorial (with pictures) to show you how to rebuild the heads for KPTs, EVODs, and various other BCC (bottom coil changeable) tanks.

In this tutorial, I will be making a 4/3 wrap of 32g Kanthal A-1 around a 3.5mm silica wick to achieve a 1.8Ω coil.

gallery_15088_188_27682.jpg

Break everything down to this point (just start pullin' stuff apart...you'll figure it out :yes ).

gallery_15088_188_58370.jpg

Coil some Kanthal around a silica wick using a sewing needle as a support.

gallery_15088_188_109117.jpg

Place both leads through the housing until the wick and needle are as shown.

gallery_15088_188_18320.jpg

Bend one lead to the side, thread the bottom grommet onto the other lead, and slip it into the bottom of the housing.

gallery_15088_188_69647.jpg

Bend the other lead (the one you just threaded through the grommet) to the side and slide the bottom pin into the grommet.

gallery_15088_188_64042.jpg

Bend the excess leads of Kanthal back and forth (really fast) until they break off flush with the head.

gallery_15088_188_82683.jpg

Remove the needle.

gallery_15088_188_65224.jpg

Replace the top stem.

gallery_15088_188_16928.jpg

Trim off the excess silica (I use Chinese nail clippers).

gallery_15088_188_54255.jpg

Replace the cup seal.

All you have to do now is install your freshly rebuilt head into your BCC tank's base and vape on!

Hope this was helpful...it works for me. :wave:

Oh, yeah...I almost forgot...always check your new rebuilds with a meter before using it!!!

I rebuilt my KPT following the exact specs of this procedure and im getting good vapor and flavor production but every now and then the coil floods and I get major gurgling and leakage! Freakin sucks!!!!!!!

Edited by Tom74

I rebuilt my KPT following the exact specs of this procedure and im getting good vapor and flavor production but every now and then the coil floods and I get major gurgling and leakage! Freakin sucks!!!!!!!

Add a second wick on top of the coil. It is commonly called a flavor wick. This will help with leaking but can restrict juice flow on higher VG juices. I use cotton to wick the pro tank heads it seems to do a better job at stopping leaking. Cotton wicks seem to do better at wicking the higher VG juices as well.

Add a second wick on top of the coil. It is commonly called a flavor wick. This will help with leaking but can restrict juice flow on higher VG juices. I use cotton to wick the pro tank heads it seems to do a better job at stopping leaking. Cotton wicks seem to do better at wicking the higher VG juices as well.

Thanks for the advice, ill try it on my next build. :construction:

• 1 month later...

Nice. Ok so i recently switched to dual coil. Got an aero tank! Soooo amazing.BUT. Can u tell me if i can order that same 3.5 silica and kanthol? Or what should i do? Please anyone throw out your opinions

I started getting into RBAs right about the time that dual coil BCC tanks began to appear, so I sort of missed the boat on rebuilding those.

*UPDATE*

Do a Google Search for "how to rebuild a BDC". I think you'll find the info you're looking for (if nobody here knows how).

Edited by Rixter