How To Rebuild A KPT Head - A Pictorial Tutorial

Rixter

All of mine are either in use or already rebuilt, but the next time I do some up, I'll try 5/4 & 6/5 to see what that meters out to be.

I just rolled a 5/4 for the missus' EVOD. It metered a little high dry (2.8Ω), but after filling the tank and firing it a couple of times, it's now reading a consistent 2.2Ω on the ZMAX. I'd say a 5/4 of 32g Kanthal A-1 around a 3.5mm silica wick (with sewing needle support) should be a good starting point for you to get 2.2Ω.

Based on these results, I'd say that each additional wrap will add ±.4Ω to the total resistance of the coil.

Edited by Rixter

I just rolled a 5/4 for the missus' EVOD. It metered a little high dry (2.8Ω), but after filling the tank and firing it a couple of times, it's now reading a consistent 2.2Ω on the ZMAX. I'd say a 5/4 of 32g Kanthal A-1 around a 3.5mm silica wick (with sewing needle support) should be a good starting point for you to get 2.2Ω.

Based on these results, I'd say that each additional wrap will add ±.4Ω to the total resistance of the coil.

Wow. Thanks for checking it out! That's helpful. Thanks Rixter

I just rebuilt my Pro Tank 2 coil with a 28g Kanthal 12 wrap micro coil (1.8ohm), and a cotton wick. No more burnt hits, and amazing flavor and vapor. :D

I used a 5/64 drill bit to wrap my coil, then compressed it with tweezers and torched it real good. Worked like a charm. Next one will be a 1.1ohm nano coil, but I need to find a 20g syringe to wrap it with.

By the way, AWESOME pic tutorial Rixter!

Edited by 3Rutez

Wrapped it on the drill bit, removed it and then used the tweezers and torch. Gotta be careful not to squeeze too hard, as to bend the coil. Just enough pressure to compress so when the coils heat up, they retain their position after.

Take a cotton ball, pull it apart. Get a thin piece, roll it between fingers, slide it through, then trim the excess. Place another over the coil and drip some juice to saturate it. Pop the stem on, screw back into base and bam.

The flavor and vapor is unmatched using cotton over silica IMO. With the stock wick and coil, I was getting a burnt/dry hit if I didn't prime it in between vapes. With the cotton, it's clean every time.

These are only my observations. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by 3Rutez

Just dry burned my davide head to clean it and decided to put cotton over the silica wickwd coil to see what happened. I am blowing out clouds! !!!! I never expected a cotton ball to be the answer. Much more flavor too. I may take the silica out later and put in another cotton strand. Thanks for all the info rixter.

It's nice to see so many variations on coil rebuilding popping up around the forum. I've been wanting to do some experimenting with micro-coils for some time now, so it looks like I'm going to be busy trying some new methods out this weekend. Good job, vapers! :yes

Just dry burned my davide head to clean it and decided to put cotton over the silica wickwd coil to see what happened. I am blowing out clouds! !!!! I never expected a cotton ball to be the answer. Much more flavor too. I may take the silica out later and put in another cotton strand. Thanks for all the info rixter.

Are you using the Cotton as a flavor wick? just wondering as I am thinking about trying to rebuild some of my protank heads when I can get my hands on some supplies?

I started putting the cotton as the flavor wick itself. I have silica in the coil and the cotton on top of it. You cant make the cotton too thick because it restricts the juice flow. If it is too thin you get leakage and gurgling. You have to figure out what size works after a few tries. It is easy to change so if it is not right just swap it out. Make sure before you put the tube back over it you put a drop or two of juice on it to prime or else you will burn the cotton.

Sorry for a double post, but I did some experimenting this morning. I tried a 3/2 wrap and a 4/3 wrap on some coil bodies. The 3/2 gave me a 1.4 reading and the 4/3 gave me a 1.9. I think i may be in my butter zone. It still tastes a little like metal even though i torched the crap out of it before building the coil. I have the 1.4 in my evic right now running at 3.3v and it is vapor heaven. I used a cotton coil wick and flavor wick. Thinking about trying another type of coil wick. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I just did one for my kpt2 just to see if I could, even though I mainly use my RDA. It actually came out pretty good. Had to mess with the coil a bit, I guess it was touching the side so it was reading at 0.6ohm then I slid the coil over and pushed it down a little and its now reading as 2.3ohms. The draw it a little tighter then with the Kanger coils, but that is good cause I thought the Kanger wick/coil was too airy.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Tam! How's it performing?

It was going great for about ten minutes and then the draw started getting tighter. Finally had to take it apart (partially), and take off the flavor wick. Must've moved the wires and shorted something out because after that I couldn't get the thing to read anything but 0.0 ohms. I'll take it apart today and play with it some more now that I've gotten over the initial hump of building the first one. :)

Micro coils have been on my list but I need to get a torch first. *rubs hands together* :evil:

• 4 weeks later...

I have an OLD Kanger that is for an eGo head. The silicon insulator is a PITB to put back in. LOL Just made a new coil for mine using 32 gauge and single 3.5mm silica wick I used a small flavor wick of cotton yarn. Only I used the Mid sized cheap eyeglass Phillips head screwdriver (the ones with the silver handles and 8 to the set)to form a 5 - 4 wrap coil. I used to use the 4-40 screw 4 - 3 wrap with 2 threads of 3 mm silica. The next one may be a wrap like yours only with 6-5 just for experimenting.

The resistance went from 2.+ ohm down to 1.8 the flavor and mouth hit went way up. The cloud of vaper is so much better also. I had a new Volt Twist that developed a circuit board short and they sent me a new one telling me to keep the dead one. SO I made a wood box 18650 mod with the head.