How To Rebuild A KPT Head - A Pictorial Tutorial

Rixter

Here's a hastily compiled tutorial (with pictures) to show you how to rebuild the heads for KPTs, EVODs, and various other BCC (bottom coil changeable) tanks.

In this tutorial, I will be making a 4/3 wrap of 32g Kanthal A-1 around a 3.5mm silica wick to achieve a 1.8Ω coil.

gallery_15088_188_27682.jpg

Break everything down to this point (just start pullin' stuff apart...you'll figure it out :yes ).

gallery_15088_188_58370.jpg

Coil some Kanthal around a silica wick using a sewing needle as a support.

gallery_15088_188_109117.jpg

Place both leads through the housing until the wick and needle are as shown.

gallery_15088_188_18320.jpg

Bend one lead to the side, thread the bottom grommet onto the other lead, and slip it into the bottom of the housing.

gallery_15088_188_69647.jpg

Bend the other lead (the one you just threaded through the grommet) to the side and slide the bottom pin into the grommet.

gallery_15088_188_64042.jpg

Bend the excess leads of Kanthal back and forth (really fast) until they break off flush with the head.

gallery_15088_188_82683.jpg

Remove the needle.

gallery_15088_188_65224.jpg

Replace the top stem.

gallery_15088_188_16928.jpg

Trim off the excess silica (I use Chinese nail clippers).

gallery_15088_188_54255.jpg

Replace the cup seal.

All you have to do now is install your freshly rebuilt head into your BCC tank's base and vape on!

Hope this was helpful...it works for me. :wave:

Oh, yeah...I almost forgot...always check your new rebuilds with a meter before using it!!!

Edited by Rixter

no flavor wick added?

Where's the best place to get the kanthal and wick?

thanks alot btw...can't wait to try it.

No need for a flavor wick if you use 3.5mm silica wick..I get mine here. You can get 100' of Kanthal A-1 32g resistance wire for under $5 here. ;)

Do they have to be Chinese nail clippers? :lol:

No. You can use Norwegian nail clippers if you like. :yes

Awesome! Pin this sucker now

Thanks! :blush:

Edited by Rixter

I've rebuilt 5 new heads using your method and all of them came out to a perfect 1.5 ohms. I must say though that I'm still experimenting because 2 out of the 5 although both 1.5 ohms I must have done something a little wrong as the draw was way too tough. I've since rebuilt them and they are working spot on. I dont know what I did wrong (perhaps wound the kanthal wire too tightly or something). Do any of you better at rebuilding have any ideas what I could have done wrong so others or myself wont make the same mistake?

The other method I had been using (found on youtube) was to take a pin and thread it into the center of the silica wick. What a disaster that was for me because no matter how thin the needle the silica wick alway began to unthread itself when the needle was inserted. Your method is much more easier.

Thanks again Rixter!

I must have done something a little wrong as the draw was way too tough.

If you're experiencing a stiff draw, it's probably because the wick and coil is sitting a little too high in the housing and blocking off the air flow through the top stem. You might try removing the needle before inserting the bottom grommet & pin so you can pull the coil a little further down into the housing. Like I said before, there's some trial & error involved with rebuilding, but you'll figure out what works best for you after doing it a few times.

What diameter silica wick did you use?

*EDIT*

Take care when inserting the bottom grommet & center pin not to push the wick & coil too high in the housing. Bending the leads to the side should prevent this from happening, but if it does happen, you should be able to pull the coil wire that's still sticking out around the grommet and/or center pin to lower the coil back down before breaking off the leads.

Edited by Rixter

Thanks for that tip about removing the needle before inserting the bottom grommet and pin. It makes sense. I wasnt actually removing the needle until after the entire assembly was put together. I will most definitely give that a shot. And as in your edit I did notice on earlier attempts that I did in fact push the wick up a tad when inserting the grommet and pin. Seriously though getting a consistent 1.5 ohms was super easy. Almost magical IMO.

I'm using 3.5mm wick just like you have described in the OP.

Thanks.

Rixter

I'm hoping to get more in the neighborhood of 2.2Ohm

Do you have any feel for how much res adding one wrap to make a 5/4 would create maintaining your 32g and 3.5mm wick?

It looks like if im reading the chart right, the wire you specify is 1.15 ohms/inch so I want a total of 2 inches pole to pole roughly

Edited by Bebop12

Rixter

I'm hoping to get more in the neighborhood of 2.2Ohm

Do you have any feel for how much res adding one wrap to make a 5/4 would create maintaining your 32g and 3.5mm wick?

All of mine are either in use or already rebuilt, but the next time I do some up, I'll try 5/4 & 6/5 to see what that meters out to be.

Dragongunner said earlier that he is getting a consistent 1.5Ω from his 4/3, and I get a consistent 1.8Ω from mine, so YMMV based on technique and (possibly) climate or altitude.

I've found that once you figure out the number of wraps that works for you, it's pretty consistent from one build to the next.

Edited by Rixter