E juice burning my throat

I'm guessing this is the right place since I think it's the hardware. I have a 1000mah ego and a vivi nova tank using a 2.4 ohm atty. Sometimes when I exhale it burns really bad and lasts whenever I exhale the next couple breaths of air. It also burns my tongue in the same way sometimes. I noticed this especially with my first hit this morning. It doesn't always happen though.

This could be caused by several things. Are you getting juice in your mouth? Just a little bit of unvaporized juice in your mouth can cause a burning sensation. Also, what pg/vg ratio are you using? Some people have an allergic reaction to pg and have to switch to an all vg e-juice. Finally, depending on how the burn feels, it could be the resistance on your atomizer is causing the smoke to get too hot, although I can't imagine it getting hot enough to burn you for several breaths afterwards.

Also, are you eating anything or drinking anything while you are vaping or just before. I have noticed unpleasant effects on the mouth and tongue if vaping directly after consuming juice, coffee, salsa, etc...but it depends on the juice flavor.

Again by the time you are old enough to vape if you had a PG allergy you would know it already. I think PG allergy is kind of like ADHD....way too quickly diagnosed.

Anytime I see this I ask how much fluids have you taken in? You are most likely dehydrated if you haven't upped your "good fluid" intake. I had sore throat, heartburn, and many other side effects at first and all were solved by drinking more water.

Again by the time you are old enough to vape if you had a PG allergy you would know it already. I think PG allergy is kind of like ADHD....way too quickly diagnosed.

Anytime I see this I ask how much fluids have you taken in? You are most likely dehydrated if you haven't upped your "good fluid" intake. I had sore throat, heartburn, and many other side effects at first and all were solved by drinking more water.

I agree , and also if my nic level is too high ,I have some vanilla and cherry that were high nic 100 pg I bought a bottle a vg at cvs and diluted them totally did the trick. I diluted 2 parts eliquid to 1 part v glycerin.

@chooseyourecig 60/40 domestic VG mix. I don't know what this even means but according to the lady at the store it has distilled water instead of PG. They have a specific section for PG. I am positive I'm not getting juice in my mouth.

@Bebop Yes. I have cereal and juice before leaving for work in the morning and I never vape until afterwords. I'll have to experiment with this.

@bcarter Yeah, I don't think I'm allergic anymore, lol. I could be a bit dehydrated in the mornings though.

I'm going to try getting a lower nicotine juice tomorrow when I go to the store and see if that fixes it.

@chooseyourecig 60/40 domestic VG mix. I don't know what this even means but according to the lady at the store it has distilled water instead of PG. They have a specific section for PG. I am positive I'm not getting juice in my mouth.

@Bebop Yes. I have cereal and juice before leaving for work in the morning and I never vape until afterwords. I'll have to experiment with this.

@bcarter Yeah, I don't think I'm allergic anymore, lol. I could be a bit dehydrated in the mornings though.

I'm going to try getting a lower nicotine juice tomorrow when I go to the store and see if that fixes it.

perhaps you could try a different BRAND I don know about that 40% distilled water thing sounds like hooie to me .but I could be wrong I ve never heard of that much water in juice .

for me higher pg and nic make the throat burn higher. i cant really vape anything over 12mg anymore but i also prefer more vg, it just hits smoother.

Me too. When I started it was 80/20 at 24mg. When I try some of my older juices at this level. Yikes its painful almost. Now i cant even get close to that. Im currently at 50/50 12mg and its working just fine.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem. But I'm not seeing a solution in the thread, so i thought I'd re-post the initial complaint and see if anybody has any new ideas.

I'm using an ipv2 with a nautilus and/or a kanger. have tried multiple brands of juice, and varying nic levels. just got home with a bottle of vg assuming that i had an allergy to pg. the problem persists, and, the problem seems to get worse every time i attempt to vape (which is almost never these days). When I started vaping I quit smoking entirely (after 15 years of cigs) and after maybe a week of vaping i had a slight burning/tingling sensation in my throat/mouth and especially my uvula. The problem got worse and worse and now it's bad enough that I'm afraid to try vaping at all (at least not without an epi-pen handy). Are there any other components of the juice that I might have an allergy to? Vaping is still pretty new, and I don't think the jury is quite out on the possible consequences and side effects of vaping, so maybe it's not an allergy but something else. I've read multiple reports of people with this problem, but not many feasible solutions. For the record, I smoke pot, cigarettes, and in the past have smoked a plethora of other things; slightly more sinister in nature. So, it's not that I'm not used to the sensation of a throat hit or that I don't know what to expect from inhaling chemicals in a gaseous state.

I'm sorry if I am speaking out of turn, I'm a noob here. But perhaps you have sensitivity to warmth/heat?

Does coffee or tea bother you?

The little I do know about PG, you would know it by now...it's like having a peanut allergy all your life but then one day realizing the hospital trip was related to the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups....ya'know?

I'm having the same problem. But I'm not seeing a solution in the thread, so i thought I'd re-post the initial complaint and see if anybody has any new ideas.

I'm using an ipv2 with a nautilus and/or a kanger. have tried multiple brands of juice, and varying nic levels. just got home with a bottle of vg assuming that i had an allergy to pg. the problem persists, and, the problem seems to get worse every time i attempt to vape (which is almost never these days). When I started vaping I quit smoking entirely (after 15 years of cigs) and after maybe a week of vaping i had a slight burning/tingling sensation in my throat/mouth and especially my uvula. The problem got worse and worse and now it's bad enough that I'm afraid to try vaping at all (at least not without an epi-pen handy). Are there any other components of the juice that I might have an allergy to? Vaping is still pretty new, and I don't think the jury is quite out on the possible consequences and side effects of vaping, so maybe it's not an allergy but something else. I've read multiple reports of people with this problem, but not many feasible solutions. For the record, I smoke pot, cigarettes, and in the past have smoked a plethora of other things; slightly more sinister in nature. So, it's not that I'm not used to the sensation of a throat hit or that I don't know what to expect from inhaling chemicals in a gaseous state.

The primary components of e-liquids are PG and VG... both are commonly found in asthma inhalers and dozens of other breathing/lung treatments. So, based on that, I do not believe ANY hype about them being dangerous or detrimental to your health if vaping them. Yes, there are other components in the flavorings, which are all safe to eat/ingest... vaping them? Who knows (yet), but still (my opinion) that vaping is safer than burning plant material and 4000 other man-made chemicals, and sucking that into your lungs.

What is described as a tingling sensation is usually related to an allergy... probably to PG... it is rare, but just like peanut allergies, people are sensitive to different things. If you are getting the same experience from a 100% VG juice (which will be nearly impossible to vape using a tank, BTW), it is also possible that your body is simply "tasting" the flavor and vapor, which is a new experience. Everything you've smoked in the past are sedatives or contain a sedation additive... yes, even cigarettes... As you vape, you regain your ability to taste, smell, and this could be what is going on... your throat is simply capable of "feeling" again, which is something you're not use to?

Are you drinking LOTS of water when you vape? Vaping will dry you out, and will compound the dry-throat, cotton-mouth, etc... Simply increasing your intake of water (a couple of liters a day, minimum) will alleviate a LOT of the dryness issues associated with vaping.

Brian, I'm not so positive about that - the PG allergy thing. I mean, yeah, it's in products we use every day, but not products we consume. Touching PG and inhaling it produce two different bodily reactions, and you could have an allergy to one, and not the other.

Earthling, cigarettes, and nicotine in general, are both stimulants. Any "calming" effect felt by the smoking of a cigarette, is in reaction to nicotine withdrawal, however, there are certain body processes that tobacco cigarettes, and probably nicotine in general, shut down, or slow, like digestion of food, etc.

Edited by spydre

Earthling, cigarettes, and nicotine in general, are both stimulants. Any "calming" effect felt by the smoking of a cigarette, is in reaction to nicotine withdrawal, however, there are certain body processes that tobacco cigarettes, and probably nicotine in general, shut down, or slow, like digestion of food, etc.

Good catch Spydre... my brain was thinking one thing and my hands typed another... What I should have said was anesthetic , rather than sedative... Cigarette manufacturers add ingredients to numb the throat/lungs to reduce the throat-hit and convulsive/cough reaction when inhaling. The "other" things smoked by lavendarshy also have this same effect, naturally... Yes, nicotine is a stimulant, but I was referring to the "additives" :)

I've not really had those sensations severely at all, but I've had more throat clearing and voice blocking events (suddenly my voice gets thick in front of the class). Drinking more water solves this every time. I live in a tropical climate which is dehydrating as well, so a double whammy. I drink at least 3 litres of water a day at the bare minimum, plus coffee and beer. Beer being yet another dehydrator.

This probably won't help you much, but it is the 14th reply which I put here so you can get a 'hot' by your comment.

• 1 year later...

I'm glad I found this thread because I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I'm also using the ipv2 and what I notice is that my first few inhales (on any day or occasion) is extremely-extremely harsh. I choke and cough with a feeling like it's doing damage.... After a few more lighter and nervous vapes it seems to get smoother and easier. I'm just not sure why it's every single time I take the first few vapes... Can anyone with experience help?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So yup I've had the same issue. Burning in the throat. If I go to a 3 mg nicotin it's smooth, but I don't feel like I'm getting enough nicotin. The 6 is where I feel the burn. I am also wondering if it has to do with CBD oil I add. But I don't think so because in the 3 mg it's cool no issues. I dunno I'm still trying to stop smoking so I'm pretty new. I would think a change of flavors may help. But for sure drink lots of water!! Thanks for all the info! ☮

For me the first few vapes after not vaping for a bit always have a pretty harsh throat hit @ 6mg.  For me this was a "trigger" that I needed as part of replacing analogs.  The longer I vape, the more I find the sensation undesirable.  I have been moving more toward 3mg now for a couple of weeks.  I think that is the direction I am heading.  I don't want to limit myself to 3mg as I don't need to start craving nicotine.  It will happen naturally in time.  I'll just stop picking up the 6. 

I like Walt, have found that over time, the "throat hit" part vaping is no longer a part of what I am looking for.  I started off with some 50/50 stuff at 18 mg of Nic.  These days, I lean heavily towards the max VG stuff. Problem is, some Max VG's are like 70/30, which doesn't really cut it for me anymore.  I want 80/20 or better from my Juice and I am down to 6 mg of nic.  Hell, I use temp control these days because I don't like how hot the vapor gets on wattage mode.  I don't need or more importantly, want a throat hit anymore.  All I desire is a nicotine system that delivers my vice and brings some nice smooth flavor with it.  The end goal is to be done with nicotine completely by the time I turn 40.  That leaves me 21 months to work my way down even further on the Nic usage. 

But definitely, the more Propylene Glycol and the higher your nicotine level, the harder it will be on your throat, regardless.  Though personally, I don't find the first few vapes say after sleeping or a long session of being busy at work, to be any different than when I'm in the middle of a chain vape session.  But I've been steadily refining my experience over the last 18 months or so.  And I'm really glad I finally upgraded to a TC mod, it really is brilliant (to me at least).  

I no longer need or want a throat hit, I'm down to a 2mg nic mix, and in a couple of flavors I use 0 nic. I think it makes the juice sweeter when there is no nic.

I also don't add PG to thin juice, I use distilled water instead, I find it makes the vape smoother, and a little cooler. The only PG I add to my juices is in the flavoring.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Tomas said:

Same here inhaling some hits and trying to hold feeling like burning experience in my throat and can't hold it at all want to cough hard i don't know what is the problem...

Did you read this thread by chance?  Many things can cause this.  Too much power applied to the vape, a pg/vg ratio that you find intolerable, a flavor you find intolerable, a dry coil, a dry throat, or something else going on at the moment can all cause this symptom.  

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 12:05 AM, Walt said:

Did you read this thread by chance?  Many things can cause this.  Too much power applied to the vape, a pg/vg ratio that you find intolerable, a flavor you find intolerable, a dry coil, a dry throat, or something else going on at the moment can all cause this symptom.  

It is 16mg e juice redbull taste and ratio is 75pg and 25vg. But when I inhale feels like hell so irritating as hell can't even vape as normal but when i try nic salt 20mg no problem at all and harshness.

3 hours ago, Tomas said:

It is 16mg e juice redbull taste and ratio is 75pg and 25vg. But when I inhale feels like hell so irritating as hell can't even vape as normal but when i try nic salt 20mg no problem at all and harshness.

Everybody's different, but 16mg of nic would burn my throat for sure.  It also makes sense that 20mg nic salt would be better, as salts are much smoother on the throat.