Advice for my first mod?

I'm currently using an ego-C twist vv, and looking to upgrade to my first variable voltage mod. After asking around online and at my local vape shop, it seems everyone is pushing me towards the ZMax. After my own research, however, I find myself leaning towards the Joye eVic. I'm curious what experiences you've had with either product.

My reasons for considering an upgrade really boil down to:

1. I'd like more taste & vapor, and can't help but take notice to the bellowing clouds coming out of the "big boys" I see people using.

2. I'm tired of carrying three ego batteries and multiple chargers everywhere I go. A longer usage time per charge (I'm a very heavy vaper) would make my daily life a bit easier.

The smaller size of the eVic in comparison to the Zmax is very appealing. I'm on the move for most of my day, and (although I probably shouldn't) I keep my PV in my pocket at all times. I also like that the eVic can be charged without removing the battery (replacing the chargers and ego batts in my bag with a bunch of recharchables doesn't seem like a step in the right direction).

Those pushing the ZMax seem to applaud its battery life, and the fact that it can be extended to accommodate two batteries at once. Valid points, but I still feel like it's far too big to schlep around in my pocket all day! Unfortunately, I haven't actually held the eVic in my hands to get a feel for it, so I'm just comparing the measurements of the two.

It seems to me that both devices are similar in bells and whistles. I typically vape at ~4.2v, so it seems either mod will have the power I need. Since this is my first attempt at a mod, I don't know if there are any other variables I should be considering, or if there are any known advantages to either of these products over the other.

Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the eVic, but if those more experienced have any advice to offer, I'm all ears!

I won't get in to the battery life section of mods but i can tell you from firsthand experience the amount of vapor or "clouds" you produce has nothing to do with having a mod over an eGo. I make CLOUDS of vapor with my 1.8ohm ce4, vision spinner eGo, and a juice composed of 80/20 vg/pg. It all comes down to your combination of resistance/voltage and the type of juice you vape. Obviously higher vg content juices are going to create way more vapor than pg juices. And the lower the resistance coupled with a higher voltage will give you better vapor as well. All of that is easily accomplished with nothing more than a vv eGo and the right resistance delivery device+ a high vg content juice.

All that being said, if i had to point you in the direction of one mod, based on personal experience i'd say the Provari.

Great customer service, 1 year warranty no questions asked, highest possible level of craftsmanship, internal protection. It's simply the best quality, safest mod out there. And it has stood the test of time over and over.

Btw, my original point was to have you ask yourself if you really need a mod. Because as i said i've owned a lot of different devices including a Provari and i can promise you i never got a "better" vape out of the Provari as far as making clouds are concerned than i do out of a $25 eGo battery. Maybe you should try switching juices or delivery devices first before investing in an expensive mod.

Edited by blucavvy

Just got my first mod ( Vamo V3 ) and so far very happy! Does what I need, you can have big or small with the Batteries ( 18650 or 18350 ) and price was nice.

i have an evic and i will say this. My Itaste does just as well with big clouds bc of the e-juice i vape. I love my eVic dont get me wrong... but if your a pocket user i wouldnt even think about it. Its a pretty delicate mod. you could always look at the mechanical mods if your wanting to use the APV style batteries. but your device has very little to do with the cloud. ITs more your actual tank/delivery system and your juice.

personally i would recommend some like the K100 if your looking for a mod. Its mechanical so it can get abused more. :)

I echo BluCavvy. The Twist and Spinner have just as much "power" as any mod, because of it's special pulsating current. They're actually fantastic little devices for the buck. Unfortunately, a set will not last you for forever,

The Provari will last a long time. If and when it does need repairs, it only takes a week or two because they are here in America.

You'll get to see your ohms, battery life, power up, power down, LED on/off, .. all the basic readouts that you'll ever need when and if you move on to other types of atomizers. You can use a pretty large atomizer/tank on a Provari, but they're completely silly on an eGo type.

The VW can be had with a good solid mechanical mod and a Kick. Great for when you get into the rebuildable attys or huge tanks.

There are some new DNA20 mods out there now, that might interest you. Fabulous mods. (and I'm sure some flops as well).

I haven't used an Evic yet, but I've heard great things about them. (the heads came off, but I think they've fixed that quirk, right guys?).

I haven't used the Zmax, and I've heard both good and bad about them. It's pretty large, correct.

I obviously am no help with deciding between these two. My apologies. I wouldn't have spoken up at all, but I wanted to bring an echo to BluCavvy's thoughts.

I haven't used an Evic yet, but I've heard great things about them. (the heads came off, but I think they've fixed that quirk, right guys?).

yes for the most part. the beauty ring will still flop off for no reason... but not a big deal to me as far as funcionality. :)

Uma as always makes some excellent points about different mods, sorry i typically always just recommend the Provari route simply because it was the best mod i ever used/owned. i kind of have tunnel vision when it comes to recommending mods because i was always so impressed with the Provari.

but i still think maybe you just need to look at different juices/delivery devices to see if that gives you the clouds you want. there's so many options with vaping it's impossible to recommend the perfect set up for someone else, and if your'e dead set on a mod i certainly won't discourage it, they have great advantages over standard batteries, just thinking that if the only reason you want a mod is to get large clouds of vapor that can be easily achieved with pretty basic gear.

Blu is right. :) but like I said for use in a pocket I would recommend a mechanical mod. They can take some abuse and be perfectly fine. I love my eVic but it really is kind of delicate. I have a few mechanical mods on the way so I will let you know when they come in which one I prefer but I think for an all day carry around the mechs are gonna be the most durable.

Uma as always makes some excellent points about different mods, sorry i typically always just recommend the Provari route simply because it was the best mod i ever used/owned. i kind of have tunnel vision when it comes to recommending mods because i was always so impressed with the Provari.

but i still think maybe you just need to look at different juices/delivery devices to see if that gives you the clouds you want. there's so many options with vaping it's impossible to recommend the perfect set up for someone else, and if your'e dead set on a mod i certainly won't discourage it, they have great advantages over standard batteries, just thinking that if the only reason you want a mod is to get large clouds of vapor that can be easily achieved with pretty basic gear.

I'm certainly not dead set on a mod, just getting on getting the best vaping experience without feeling like I'm carrying a sidearm (my first thought when I handled the Zmax).

There are some great suggestions here... After reading Blu's first post, I just ordered a 1350mah spinner and some lower resistance coils for my protank - a $30 trial that I certainly can live with. Hopefully I can become more familiar with the settings and see if I can tweak my setup without dishing out a few hundred bucks! I'm using 2.2ohm coils now and ordered 1.8's to play with. I am very interested in rebuilding my own coils (seems pretty straightforward), but I don't want to risk getting ahead of myself for now.

@IMEDIC: Thanks for bringing up the durability of the eVic. I definitely don't kidglove my vape like I should, so that's going to be a consideration for me.

This info is very helpful - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to all!!

P.S. - The Provari looks like a nice little mod; If I do end up going that route, I'll be adding that to my short list.

I can get great clouds with a LR carto, ego twist on 4.2 v with a 70/30 mix. But I have noticed I have some of the same flavors from different vendors at the same ratio and the vapor production is different.

What kind of juice do u vape op? PG vg or a mix?

I was using 100%VG until this weekend, when (on the advice of kitsune), I started mixing in PG of the same flavor to improve wicking. I started with a 1:1 PG/VG, but I've been gradually increasing the VG portion since.

1:4 PG/VG seems to suit my taste, and I'm still not getting those "pops" I was experiencing with the 100%VG.

I've been getting my juice at my local shop, but just ordered a sampler of 80/20 VG/PG juices from wordup ecigs on a friend's recommendation.

My new 1.8ohm coils shipped this morning; I'm really anxious to try them; I've been using 2.2's since I've started vaping.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update...

I noticed a huge difference once I switched to the lower resistance coils! I also absolutely love the spinner batteries, although I'm using the same voltage, so I understand that's not going to make a difference in vapor output.

I also seem to have settled on 80/20 VG/PG as my go to mix (although I had to go 70/30 from the Dudes).

I'm on cruise control now... My "mod itch" has been scratched (more $ for juice!).

Thanks again for the advice!

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the first generation eVic. The device is very user friendly, but not extremely durable. After awhile started having some difficulties with the connections, now only certain tanks work properly, like the ProTank, others seem to rather intermediate. They state that is easy to upgrade the micro-code to obtain greater flexibility, its not as simple as it seems, after numerous attempts and conversations with tech support with Joyetech, was able to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2. Gave up on trying to upgrading to the 1.3 code.

If you are rough on devices, which I am, this is not a good choice in my opinion. I have had numerous issues with the head, the button not working at times, locking up and other problems. When it works, it's very good, if you want to keep track of everything you do, number of puffs, etc, then it serves the purpose, Personally, there's just to much to play around with and adjust.

With the all the problems I've had with the device, I've moved back to simply mechanical mod with a manual VW adapter with surge protection on the battery, serves the purpose. Push a button and get vapor.

Can't speak to the Zmax.