RSST Tutorial: Eeking out a little more performance with a simple 5-cent mod

CascadianExotics

While the RSST is the undisputed "Starter" Genesis Atomizer, it is not without a couple of inherit problems. Quite possibly the least of anyone's complaints would be the placement of the wick hole in relation to the positive and negative terminals.

While it may not seem to affect performance, this simple mod I thought of will shave off 0.15 ohms from stock.

What this means for the end user is the ability to use your current wrap, and delve deeper into sub-ohm vaping. Or, you could add an extra wrap to your coil, thereby taking advantage of the heat produced by a lower-resistance coil across a greater surface area, resulting in more flavor and an increased vapor production.

The mod:

Go to the hardware store and get two 3m washers. Add one to your positive post where the spring captures the resistance wire, and the other to the negative screw. Capture your resistance wire UNDER the negative washer, and capture the positive lead as normal.

What this mod does is decrease the distance between the wick and your leads, as well as take out the tension in the wire to more easily work out hotspots.

Using a build with a 3/2 wrap of 28g Kanthal. Bone-stock, the meter read 0.8 ohms. With the mod installed, the meter was bouncing between 0.6 and 0.7 ohms.

post-18408-0-03406200-1373945311_thumb.j

post-18408-0-92812000-1373945409_thumb.j

post-18408-0-09807600-1373945497_thumb.j

*note:

On my RSST, I have my airhole drilled out to 1/16th inch (1.6mm) to support the increased vapor production of sub-ohm builds, as well as to cool the temperature of that vapor produced. Before doing ANY mod to increase performance, make sure your batteries can support the amp load of tour build.

Good Luck, and Happy Vaping!!!

Excellent tip tutorial CE!!

The washer tip also excels on the AGA-T-+ series, for those who have those.

Good note on making sure the mod is high amp enough to handle the sub-zero ohms too. That's where the mechanical mods excel.

Most of the regular mods are only 2.5 amp, so be sure to check yours before using any ohms below 1.1

You're absolutely right, Uma!! Though, the AGA-T series' negative post is too close to make this tip effective. Though, the washer trick on the positive post drastically helps with the hotspots.

Other mods I will be trying soon enough will be to replace the positive post with a brass one to shave off an extra 0.1 ohm, and (provided I can find a small enough drill bit) to drill out a vent to aid in wicking without having to remove the fill plug, and risk leaking.

Which brings me to one more addendum:

Increased vapor production requires more juice flow. So, make sure your wick can keep up. Otherwise, you'll experience the dry-hit to end all dry-hits.

Edited by CascadianExotics