Vaper's Tongue: Foiled by Cinnamon

Today, I decided to try an entirely new flavor- Monster Energy. It is modeled after the flavor you taste when you indulge in a savory mouthful of Monster Energy. Prior to making the switch, I had been vaping my local store's flavor: Hot Shots. It's a very potent cinnamon flavor with a well disguised trace of cherry. After taking a couple of hits of this Monster Energy vape oil, I was doomed to realize it had no taste at all.

Does anyone have any experience in switching flavors from cinnamon to something... not so distinguishable? I would love to hear stories and/or feedback from other fellow vapers that may have had this problem. I was convinced that switching flavors cures the problem, not induces it.

The guys down at the shop said it might take a day or two for the flavor to "kick in" and I had jokingly said that the cinnamon burnt my tastebuds away. Is the flavor supposed to immediately work- or were they just improvising on a solution to the vaper's tongue? Lol.

The guys down at the shop said it might take a day or two for the flavor to "kick in" and I had jokingly said that the cinnamon burnt my tastebuds away. Is the flavor supposed to immediately work- or were they just improvising on a solution to the vaper's tongue? Lol.

You might try uncapping the bottle and leaving it in a cool dark place for a day or two. That's supposed to help, though I've never really noticed much of a difference. It could just be a bad batch that you got, too. There are a couple of different energy drink flavors out there, some better than others. I'd have jumped on a flavor called "Monster Energy" too, since I'm a Monster drinker...like a fiend! My record is 13 Monsters in under 8 hours at a computer gaming LAN. So yeah...I'd be all over it but disappointed if it didn't have a good strong flavor to it. Another thing you might try is to get it in a slightly lower nicotine strength. If you are getting it at high nicotine (24mg - 26mg) the flavor will be a bit less intense than at a medium strength (16mg - 18mg) and even stronger at lower strengths, assuming you find a lower strength enough to curb your appetite.

Unless you are like me....I am flavor challenged. I have always had a very hard time with flavors being too weak. Mind you, I can taste food etc without any problem.

I got into the world of mixing my own because I like strong flavors and they can be hard to come by out in the vaping world. cinnamon is a nice strong one.

But I haven't noticed a big problem switching flavors after cinnamon...so long as its one of my mixes.

Salt is a palette cleanser.. eating saltine cracker, drinking milk... like the wine tasters do, sometimes helps to restore the tastebuds.

Rinsing your mouth with a few tsps of salt in your water might help too. But yuck. Try the saltine with milk. Good luck!

Salt is a palette cleanser.. eating saltine cracker, drinking milk... like the wine tasters do, sometimes helps to restore the tastebuds.

Rinsing your mouth with a few tsps of salt in your water might help too. But yuck. Try the saltine with milk. Good luck!

I didn't know this! Will it work without the milk?

• 2 months later...

Pickled Ginger is a great palette cleanser too. This is why you find a small dish of it at all the Sushi restaurants. It is meant to eat a piece of pickled ginger between different sushi rolls.

I guess I've been doing it wrong...I just eat different sushi rolls between different sushi rolls lol.

On a side note, eating a bog ol' wad of wasabi is a great palette cleanser as well as a great prevention for dehydration...try it and watch how much water the human body can hold immediately after eating some. :yes

Edited by Rixter

I guess I've been doing it wrong...I just eat different sushi rolls between different sushi rolls lol.

On a side note, eating a bog ol' wad of wasabi is a great palette cleanser as well as a great prevention for dehydration...try it and watch how much water the human body can hold immediately after eating some. :yes

lol thats what I was thinking , I usually chunk that ginger into a bowel of soy sauce lol

You might try uncapping the bottle and leaving it in a cool dark place for a day or two. That's supposed to help, though I've never really noticed much of a difference. It could just be a bad batch that you got, too. There are a couple of different energy drink flavors out there, some better than others. I'd have jumped on a flavor called "Monster Energy" too, since I'm a Monster drinker...like a fiend! My record is 13 Monsters in under 8 hours at a computer gaming LAN. So yeah...I'd be all over it but disappointed if it didn't have a good strong flavor to it. Another thing you might try is to get it in a slightly lower nicotine strength. If you are getting it at high nicotine (24mg - 26mg) the flavor will be a bit less intense than at a medium strength (16mg - 18mg) and even stronger at lower strengths, assuming you find a lower strength enough to curb your appetite.

nothing to do with the topic at hand ....but how the hell can you consume 13 monsters .......EVER??????

2 AND IM zinging from the chandelier lol it just cant be good for your heart.

Wouldn't that also make your butt on fire if you are not used to something that spicey?

Wouldn't that also make your butt on fire if you are not used to something that spicey?

First, I meant to say "big ol' wad of wasabi" instead of "bog ol' wad of wasabi", & second, yes...a fiery butt is a distinct probability. In fact, now that I think about it, your taste buds might not work at all for some time afterward. :sick:

Unless you are like me....I am flavor challenged. I have always had a very hard time with flavors being too weak. Mind you, I can taste food etc without any problem.

I got into the world of mixing my own because I like strong flavors and they can be hard to come by out in the vaping world. cinnamon is a nice strong one.

But I haven't noticed a big problem switching flavors after cinnamon...so long as its one of my mixes.

Exactly my situation. Though I don't have a desire to vape cinnamon. I do know that some flavors are just very strong, and you have to be careful when mixing your own, or even mixing premade juices, as they will overpower everything else in the mix. I think menthol and some mints are a good example.