Vaping at Yankee Stadium....I've been warned !

I received a 'written warning' at Yankee stadium last night for SMOKING!

Would anyone like to help draft a letter? Below is what I have written so far.

I attended the game on April 26th, 2013, sitting in section 220c. I was administered a warning by the section attendant for ‘smoking’. I am not a smoker. I was however using an electronic cigarette, which does not produce smoke, nor has any tobacco product in it. I politely accepted the rather embarrassing warning, but a few innings later went to talk to the attendant.

During our discussion, he stated he was well aware that I was not smoking, however stated that the electronic cigarette is considered the ‘same thing’, and that I would be removed from the stadium if I continued to use it. I asked him if anyone around me complained, to which he responded ‘no’. I then asked to speak with his supervisor.

During my discussion with his supervisor, I asked where I could find a written policy stating that usage of an electronic cigarette is prohibited in the stadium. The woman told me that its printed on the back of my ticket and on the Yankee website. I asked her to show me where on my ticket this is stated, at which we said ‘I can’t read it, it’s too small’. This is in fact true, but I have scanned the ticket and have read each word. There is NO statement on the ticket about smoking at all, no less language on the usage of an electronic cigarette.

Additionally, I have reviewed the Yankee website, and at this link (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=guide), the smoking policy simply states, “Smoking is prohibited in Yankee Stadium. There are no designated smoking areas, and re-entry is prohibited. Violators will be ejected immediately”.

I am proud to be a non-smoker, and even more proud to be a supporter not only of the Yankees, but the stadium itself. I cannot however understand the embarrassing treatment I received at the stadium. I was singled out and was made to be a spectacle. While I love the team, I can no longer support the franchise, and would strongly suggest you update your written policies so it is crystal clear to the ever growing community of e-cig users.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Best,

Stu

post-1912-0-92819700-1367077146_thumb.jp

Not sure it is worth the fight.Outcome will be they will add another line to the smoking sign that says no vaping either.Best to not vape where smoking is not allowed or at least be stealthy.Just because the dude on the commercial says we can vape anywhere doesn't make it true .He tells a few other lies in that spot as well.

CaptStu, I agree with you. Personally I vape in WalMart when I go shopping I just don't make it real obvious. They might be surprised to find that if they allowed vaping and even supplied their people that sell drinks and hot dogs e-cigs they might actually make quite a few sales.

1) Never had a problem at Fenway Park, perhaps you should go to a "real" park to enjoy the game =)

2) those tickets really strip you of all your rights and protect the team, as I am sure you are aware. When it comes down to it, we like to think of stadiums/arenas/church etc as public places but you really have the same say in what you do as you would if you were in my living room. These are private areas. Of course, I would let you vape in my living room as long as you weren't wearing one of those ridiculous Yankee hats

3) The statue of sympathy for Boston has not yet elapsed and therefore it would be socially unacceptable of you to hate on the 'Sox for at least another 2 weeks. =)

I don't recommend bothering to write a statement. Causing a stir is only going to cause yet more problems for the vaping community as a whole. If you've been asked to not use the device, don't use it or only use it in designated areas. Writing a letter or causing some other kind of scene only reinforces the idea that vapers are just as bad as smokers or at the very least both are perceived as bad.

I had a similar experience at Citi Field (New York Mets). During the pat down the security guard saw my ProVari. He asked what it was and I told his it was my ecig. He kind of turn his face as said "errr...ok" (hesitant to let me in with it). He then continued to say that I may not be allowed to use that in the stadium EVEN IN THE SMOKING SECTION. Needless to say I had no problems when I used it with my former smoking mates in the smoking section but I do not know if I would have been able to to handle someone telling me I could not vape in a smoking section.

This is really unfortunate. Only one sports team in Chicago told me not to vape and it was the Bulls at the United Center. I've vaped at Chicago's Wrigley Field which is always packed...or has been :p. But never has an attendant asked me to stop vaping.

I don't recommend bothering to write a statement. Causing a stir is only going to cause yet more problems for the vaping community as a whole. If you've been asked to not use the device, don't use it or only use it in designated areas. Writing a letter or causing some other kind of scene only reinforces the idea that vapers are just as bad as smokers or at the very least both are perceived as bad.

I don't agree. I think that if we don't "cause a stir" then things will never be changed. I say let's start changing peoples perceptions instead of hiding.