Vaping on a plane (re-visited)

Security/TSA will ask about it 25% of the time, seems to happen more often in large cities. About once or twice a year (in 15-20 trips a year) they scan the device for whatever (takes an additional 3 minutes). This past year it seems like screening is very used to them by now. I put all my liquid/batteries/gear in a plastic bag and put in in the bin where you put your shoes, wallet, belt, etc. The thinkin is if it is in a bag and they question it, they search the whole bag. I am just "up front" about it because, well, there isnt any reason to conceal it.

On a plane, I vape on every flight, I am discreet but not "hiding anything", have yet to have any staff say anything. I almost always fly United and while I started out using egos, I now just take my provari and people still don't say anything. a passenger asked about it once and I sait it was an inhaler device, which it is. =)

Never had a problem and I think the worst that will happen is that you are asked to put it away. Flights are so over crowded and attendants are so stressed over other things that I think someone hitting an e-cig is low on their list.

YMMV, etc. etc. but I fly regularly, at least once a month, and I have yet to have any issues.

**I also hold it long enough so that none of the vapor is visible when I exhale. That is what I specifically mean by discreet.

I fly every 2 months or so internationally via United. Since I am still relatively new to vaping I have only tried vaping on my most recent flight. As Burn mentioned I just held the vapor inside my lungs longer to prevent the "cloud effect". I didnt hide it and none of the flight staff said anything.

I vaped "regular vaping" in the Tampa international terminal in a quiet location (some people still about) and not once did TSA say anything. I was gonna vape a Dulles but alas I was late for my flight and did not have time.

I try to be discreet as possible but like I said didnt hide it.

Good luck with your vaping endeavors on flights across the world.

I just flew to Texas and I was too self conscious to vape in my seat so I just went into the bathroom and did it there. When I went there really wasn't any discreet area in the airport to do this and since I don't like to bring attention to myself I just didn't. Even though I knew that the vapor wouldn't set off the smoke alarms in the bathroom I was still very nervous about doing it and getting caught! In the airport I just went into the Women's bathroom.

So far, I have only been in the jetblue terminal (JFK) and the Buffalo Airport since becoming a vapor. I opening vape (not near people) while walking around, and while sitting at the gate. Again, not near anyone, as I think its just simply better to not cause questions. I dont care if someone sees me though, and I'm waiting to see if someone of authority will come to me. On my flight home last week, I left an ego-c battery in my jacket, and it got called back from TSA. He was well aware of the vaping community, but commented on how he hadn't seen 'one like that before'. Either way, he just rescanned and all was well. I had my other batteries and tanks in a case that I put in with my cell phone to be scanned. One bottle of liquid with my other liquids.

The flight was a full flight, during the day. I vaped a few times, but felt self-conscious while sitting next to someone. Again, I exhaled with a bit of power simply to minimize the vapor. The flight is only an hour, so I really dont even need to, but want to.

I have another flight sunday...will alter my routine a bit and see what happens.

vaping and planes is all about being as discreet as possible. bathrooms are great if you aren't comfortable with discreetly vaping in your seat.

another trick (by another vaper)....exhale over a cup of coffee or other warm liquid.

I travel alot and make every effort to be discreet...I really don't want to see e-cig/devices banned from carry on luggage.

Security has never been a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow I vape

Tomorrow I get on a plane

Tomorrow I vape on a plane. I will be discreet for sure. It's a long flight so I plan to get a couple of Vapes in there...

I don't miss the old days of constant nic cravings while traveling !! discreet is very good. the bathrooms are a great place to get up and stretch your legs, just avoid clouds of vapor hitting the smoke detector....don't know if it will set them off, but would hate to be the one to find out.

Well, security at San Francisco didn't bat an eye. I had my whole kit in my backpack, which includes 2 complete setups, and 4 extra clearomizers with a packet of coils and a bottle of juice. While waiting for the plane, I just moved to a quieter location away from the crowd and didn't make a big deal out of it and vaped away.

It was interesting. We changed planes in Atlanta. I had never been to Atlanta airport. They have "smoking rooms". It was a little weird. My wife and I decided to just use the smoking room to vape in - when in Rome, ya know. It was actually pretty disgusting. This is the first time I was around smokers like this since I quit. There were maybe a dozen guys in there. The first thing was the smell. Wow, even with the ventilation fans going it was pretty bad. Then I just noticed that most of these people looked depressed and kind of sickly and it struck me oddly. 2 months ago, I don't think I would have thought anything of it. These rooms are all glass. You feel like you're in a cage. At one point i could see this older couple approaching the glass doors, they stop at the door and the women fiddles in her purse, comes up with a cig and then comes in to the room with us. The husband stays outside the glass. She's got some kind of 100's and she starts puffing away. On the other side of the glass the husband is patiently waiting for her to finish. Once in a while he looks in toward her and she holds up the ciggy showing him where she is on it. This goes on for a few minutes and I feel for him. I'm so glad my wife and I are doing this together.

Nothing major to report on the return trip. Again, no problems with security at any airport. On the flight back to SFO I vaped in my seat. I took smaller drags to minimize the vape and did not flaunt it. Nobody said anything. All in all, pretty uneventful.

I have vaped on a plane twice and it was 2 connecting planes. The first time I had 100% vg liquid and I was using my silver bullet. My friend had a vamo and the person next to us made a comment because he saw it after my friend had exhaled the vapor and said he almost thought it was a pipe bomb :( I do see how that could lead to issues especially since the government will use any situation to make e cigs look bad. We learned our lesson and switched to pg liquid and both of us used our 510 egos on the connecting flight without issues.

• 4 weeks later...

You can carry as much liquid as fits in a quart size baggie. each bottle has to be 3 oz or less. needless to say, you can carry quite a bit of liquid. Just make sure its all in the baggie...includes any all liquids/gels you might be carrying. take out of your bag and put in bin with any other misc stuff and no trouble.