Has Anyone Had This Problem With Other People?

I am 118 days analog-free. Of course, being the caring soul that I am, I have suggested and touted e-cigs to many people. I have been able to turn several, including my mother (a 50 year smoker!!) but I have also had several nay-sayers ask "so when are you going to quit that thing too? youre still addicted, just replacing one bad thing for another"

Does anyone else get this from people? Grrr it makes me SO mad! Where's the support you nay-sayers?? What the heck do you WANT from us former smokers???? We're trying, sheesh!

Actually a lot of us are just swapping one way of getting our fix for another.I have always thought a person should work thier way off the nic as fast as possible while we still have the options we have to do it our way.I cannot believe "Big Brother" has left us alone this long,other than an occasional scare.I wonder what some folks will do when the only way to aquiire eliquid is in prefilled carto's,with mandatory federal and local taxes added on.If they still go by the notion one carto equals a pack of cigs that carto could cost $5.00 .

Edited by mcquinn

I get the same thing from time to time. Doesn't matter. If smoking didn't make me hack and feel generally bad, I'd still do that. It's my business alone what I do to me, and some people will always think they should have some say in your life. The fact is that since I quit smoking and started vaping, my overall health has increased dramatically, and that's what really matters. :yes

I have no illusions that I have traded one habit for another, I also know, I would still be smoking if I hadn't found vaping.

It really doesn't bother me what people think about it....I just reply: would you rather I was still smoking cigarettes? If its strangers...I really, really don't care what they think. :yes

I get it all the time, and people seem to lay off when you clear up a HUGE misconception about both smoking and vaping. NICOTINE DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER!! I've found that an overwhelming amount of non-smokers assume that nicotine is the most harmful part about smoking, and that even alone, it causes cancer.

Generally, once i explain to people that nicotine alone is very similar to caffeine, and that it is not a carginogen, and it is not what's harmful about cigarettes (it just keeps you inhaling what IS harmful), they generally are more accepting. I feel like that's been one of the biggest suprises in telling people about vaping is they think nicotine is what causes cancer in cigarettes.

• 2 weeks later...

What I get more and more is that people tell me "Well, you haven't quit smoking.". <---- THIS drives me nuts. Granted, I still get my nicotine, but after explaining all the differences they still won't budge. Like a lot of people have said, I just ignore it knowing that a lot of it has to do with the lack of information many non-vapers have or the false information that they are given. It's only a matter of time before more people are accepting. If people vape in hospitals, that right there should be a point on how we all aren't smokers, we're vapers.

My mom is the same way every time she visits,I just give her the old It's my house, and my rules schtick. she used that line with me so many times groing up. Out of respect I don't vape around her at her house, but I do need to use the bathroom frequently when visiting her.

Ugh, I get this all the time too. This weekend it was my favorite... "Propylene Glycol?!?! That's anti-freeze!! Do you know how many chemicals are in nicotine that cause cancer?!?!"

Um, no, it's not the nicotine that causes cancer... it's the 4000+ other chemicals I was directly ingesting into my lungs. That person got pretty quiet when I told them that PG is used in asthma inhalers and nebulizer treatment liquid and that VG (PG as well) is a common element in food flavorings that this person probably ingests every day without even knowing it.

I do get pretty frustrated sometimes when dealing with this, but then I remember it's not about what they think. It's about me and what I am doing for myself. :)

Ugh, I get this all the time too. This weekend it was my favorite... "Propylene Glycol?!?! That's anti-freeze!! Do you know how many chemicals are in nicotine that cause cancer?!?!"

Um, no, it's not the nicotine that causes cancer... it's the 4000+ other chemicals I was directly ingesting into my lungs. That person got pretty quiet when I told them that PG is used in asthma inhalers and nebulizer treatment liquid and that VG (PG as well) is a common element in food flavorings that this person probably ingests every day without even knowing it.

I do get pretty frustrated sometimes when dealing with this, but then I remember it's not about what they think. It's about me and what I am doing for myself. :)

Soon enough they will be educated :) and we won't have to deal with these questions.

I used to get that line from people. But like others here I simply take the time to explain the differences. 98% of people have been very positive after I explain everything. The 2% that haven't just agree to disagree with me and we go about our business. I have helped TONS of people make the switch since I started vaping and it makes me very happy to know that I was able to help them get healthier.

I'm in the process of getting some of the local businesses I frequent to put up "Vaping Allowed" signs in their establishments. And I'm putting together a "Vaping Night" with the help of my local Yelp Community Manager. Time to start educating the masses.

Yeah...I've heard the "switching one bad habit for another" from a few people. Strangely enough, it's usually said by smokers. Non-smokers I've come across seem really fascinated upon learning about vaping; delighted I've been able to find a healthier alternative. But I don't get mad upon hearing this. I find myself agreeing, while countering with something like "at least I'm not spending a small fortune for cigarettes anymore". That effectively ends the snarky remarks.

Edited by SABOTEUR

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that really gets me is the follow up question that most people ask after stating that I'm giving up one habit for another, which is, "Have you tried the patch or nicotine gum?" Being who I am, I usually respond with the question of, "Do you think about what you're saying before you just let the stupid drip out of your mouth?" How is vaping nicotine any different as far as giving up one habit for another than chewing on really bad tasting gum or slapping a patch on my arm? I'm giving up analog cigarettes completely and vaping instead. The patch or gum won't work for me for one simple reason: it isn't smoking. Vaping is just a more logical alternative.

The thing that really gets me is the follow up question that most people ask after stating that I'm giving up one habit for another, which is, "Have you tried the patch or nicotine gum?" Being who I am, I usually respond with the question of, "Do you think about what you're saying before you just let the stupid drip out of your mouth?" How is vaping nicotine any different as far as giving up one habit for another than chewing on really bad tasting gum or slapping a patch on my arm? I'm giving up analog cigarettes completely and vaping instead. The patch or gum won't work for me for one simple reason: it isn't smoking. Vaping is just a more logical alternative.

Ohh... I think I like your style. :) I've only just given up the little cancer sticks ten days ago... Still haven't done the e-Cig thing yet (just ordered my first starter kit tonight), but I can guarantee you that if I ever get the comment about the gum or the patches; my reply will be something along the lines of "Do you get up every morning and the first thing you do is turn the coffee pot on?... Yes?... So you're like me and can't go on with your day if you haven't had your caffeine fix!.... Ok... This is what I want you to do... Tomorrow morning, instead of turning the coffee pot on; simply grab one of the grind pouches and chew on it... you can even chew on some sugar and creamer if you want... You know; for taste. And that will be the way you get your caffeine fix from now on... no brewing coffee, no tasty Starbucks grande lattes, none of that nonsense... From now on you take your drug by chewing on it just like you want me to take mine."

Im new to vaping and im going out of my cabinet for this kind of "smoking". Im pretty sure they will not understand me vaping at my workplace... though they will not understand vaping at all! To be honest im feeling much better vaping at places with no smokers around, probably most of us felt the same for the first time...

Im new to vaping and im going out of my cabinet for this kind of "smoking". Im pretty sure they will not understand me vaping at my workplace... though they will not understand vaping at all!
In all honesty, it's not necessary for your co-workers to understand. They don't even have to know you vape unless you choose to share with them. You don't need their understanding or approval to do what you feel is right for YOU.