Airport Etiquette

Tam

On Wednesday I'm going to be flying out to spend a few days with friends in California. I'll be the first one in so I have an all day wait in the airport for the rest of the motley crew. What are your experiences in airports? Is it okay to vape? Should I only stealth? Go outside?

I'm thinking I should go outside and/or ask before vaping.

What are your thought? Suggestions?

i don't bother trying to vape in airports. i see it as a courtesy thing. but that's just my opinion.

That's kind of the mindset I'm going toward. E-cigarettes are still too new and people don't understand. Probably better to go outside rather than to make anyone uncomfortable.

I go very stealth or restroom. looks like I am chewing on a pen...which is exactly what I used to do when I couldn't smoke. I have been in many airports and not had a single second glance. I agree that clouds of vapor would draw way too much attention in an airport. Most of my flavors are coffee based, I usually have coffee with me, so any residual scent can be blamed on the coffee.

Lol! I've heard of the "coffee method" of stealth vaping: take a hit, hold for a couple of seconds, exhale into a hot cup of coffee so it looks like the vapor is coming from that. If I absolutely need to, I'll go the bathroom route if I can't go outside. :)

Edited by Tameiki

last time i flew i vaped in the waiting area...

granted i found the most secluded spot, it was 5am, and i tiny puffed and held it in to exhale minimum cloud. it felt really weird so i stopped after a few hits but it took care of my fix!

flying again soon...don't know what i will do yet.....

flying again soon...don't know what i will do yet.....

Another trick I heard about and do occasionally when I absolutely need to is go into a bathroom stall, take a small hit, hold for a few seconds (usually a count of ten or so), then blow out a thin stream of vapor downward while waving the vapor away. Either a hand or some kind of paper works well.

Since I'll be waiting around inside an airport all day I'll have to think of something. I hate to have to go into one of the smoking areas that's always thick with cigarette smoke. Maybe find a bar or lounge and ask permission first?

Stealth vaping (holding for a few seconds and slow exhale) works very well. No vapor at all. I've spent my fair share of time hanging around airports (and on planes) to get very good at it.

You've actually done it inside an airplane? I don't think I could do that. Color me impressed! :lol:

LOL.....necessity is the mother of invention. 7 hour flights and I do not get along very well, especially when we throw in a 2-3 hour layover. I was a very die hard smoker and vaping saved my life and the life of all those is my path when I needed a smoke fix.....

I am a firm believer in not having clouds of vapor in areas that are strictly non smoking....I never had any desire to miss a flight.....however, I have always been a bit of a rebel and look for ways to break the rules (without getting caught that is..). so far, so good !!! :pirate:

so today, for kicks, i tried stealth vaping for a bit just for practice....

tried various things, cup, holding it in, etc and came up with a good one: exhaling through your nose into sweater!

don't know why I didn't think about this earlier....it's good :)

so today, for kicks, i tried stealth vaping for a bit just for practice....

tried various things, cup, holding it in, etc and came up with a good one: exhaling through your nose into sweater!

don't know why I didn't think about this earlier....it's good :)

LOL! Guess there's several of us trying various stealth vaping techniques today. Here's another: go into bathroom, pick the end stall next to wall. Stand facing toilet and vape away. No real need for stealth, you can vape like normal so long as you blow the vapor toward the wall side of the corner of the floor. :lol:

I've recently openly (brazenly!) vaped right the way through Irish and UK airports. I certainly got double takes and stares from security, staff and the public, but nobody said anything. Quite a few celebrities have been photographed satisfying their nicotine needs, in airports, with e-cigs, on this side of the Atlantic, so that, combined with members of the public following their example may have raised awareness.

Having said that, someone this year in the UK, attempting to stealth vape on a bus, caused a fellow passenger to fear the use of a biological weapon. The frightened passenger phoned it into the police, who closed the motorway on which the bus was traveling and moved in with an armed response and air cover!!!!!

Sort of a worst case scenario for the stealth vaper.... :yes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/05/m6-coach-passengers-evacuated-police

Instead of suicide bombers, we now have suicide vapers? lol. It's good they're always on the alert, and at the ready, but that's just plain crazy. I hope. I find it funny, kind of. If I were the suicide vaper, it'd never get done! . How could I ever 'knowingly' take my last vape ever? It's difficult enough to put it to rest at the end of the day when my eyes are 3/4 shut. lol

Here's a tip for stealth vaping that I ran across a year or so ago. To minimize the wisp of vapor that escapes from your lips as you finish your draw: Tip the drip tip upwards towards your inner upper lip as you finish your draw. (plus, of course, stopping the firing long before you remove at all)

Now I can't get that suicide vaper visual out of my mind... I am laughing so hard that hubby thinks I've lost it.

That would take one helluva vapor to make more than one or two persons sick from a pv's vapor... unless the vaper walked up and down the aisle saying "Excuse me, but I need to blow this vapor into your face. Well, darn, most of the germs I am carrying have stuck to my tastebuds! I hate that flavor! They can just go find somebody else to walk up and down the aisle saying "pardon me!" Excuse me, I think I'm going to be sick".

Spare the vapor scene please! All they need is their own vile up their own arses in order to get sick enough to make everybody else sick. All they need is a job in the food, drink or Tylenol factory...

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got stuck for 24 hrs in Kahului airport in Maui. I spent the first hour nipping off to the bathroom to vape, when I saw two airline employees sitting down vaping away. In full view. Glorious clouds of vapor. Struck up a conversation with them and found out that it was totally fine to do there. From there out, I vaped as I pleased. We took over a spot with an outlet to charge our iPhones & iPads and I sat/laid and vaped. Mall security walked by a thousand times and saw me, never once seemed bothered. A few people gave me strange looks, but I'm pretty sure I had the only provari on the island. The few vapers I ran into looked at it like "wtf?!?"

• 10 years later...
4 hours ago, Airman2828 said:

thanks for this topic

Please keep in mind that this post and thread are from 2012 when vaping was fairly new and there weren't many (if any) restrictions on vaping use. Try any of these now and you could be hit with some expensive fines or possibly arrest, depending on where you try to vape. In 2023, If I have the urge to vape while traveling by air I would just check with security first before vaping outside to make sure where I vape is okay. Vaping these days is almost like what smoking cigarettes used to be. Be careful, cautious, and courteous of others!  😄