Informal Health Survey

SABOTEUR

Just visited a thread concerning a member who's discovered vaping but has a cold. It got me wondering if people notice a decrease in viral infections since they've begun vaping.

Prior to becoming a vaper, it was "normal" for me to experience at least one cold a year. I just expected it. I'd get sick around the same time each year. After I started vaping I've experienced one cold in three years. I don't know with any certainty that I can contribute my improved health to vaping, yet it's hard to believe this is merely a coincidence...especially since there have been no other significant lifestyle changes that may have so drastically improved my health.

There have been other more obvious health improvements, but "no more colds", for me, is quite significant.

Update: Please forgive my obsessiveness, but I'm very much a stickler for articulating exactly what you intend to communicate. To do so usually requires observing things accurately too. But after posting my query it occurred to me that the reason I experience fewer viral infections may have less to do with vaping and more a consequence of no longer smoking cigarettes.

Edited by SABOTEUR

I would expect anything that irritates the airways and lungs would make you more prone to viruses.

True. Have you noticed any marked improvement of your health?

Edited by SABOTEUR

Since I made the switch on April 8th of this year, I've had a sore throat once for about 24 hours, but no respiratory problems or cold symptoms at all. I can't be completely sure that it's because of vaping, but I'd really like to think that at least one of my vices is actually good for me. :showoff:

I thought about this as well. It does have logic if the nocitine levels are reduced since nicotine intake (as alchohol intake) kills too many vitamints necessary for a body to support the immune system... I can't tell if I get fewer colds never really counted ;)

I daresay it's more than a bit ironic that soon after I posted this query...

...I came down with a cold.

(Guess that'll teach me to keep my big mouth shut.)

Edited by SABOTEUR

Just got over a cold that I came down with the same day I started vaping. I have two kids in school and they bring home every bug imaginable (which is how I caught this one... DD had a doozy of a cold before I got sick). I am anxious to see how vaping vs. smoking affects my health in the coming winter months. When I was smoking I was usually good for at least one cold a year, sometimes two. This cold seemed to hit me really suddenly, then disappear just as suddenly. Sick for 4 days, felt great on the fifth (vaping the whole time). I found 4 Airborne tablets hiding in the back of the medicine cabinet that I started taking on day 3. Which makes the whole theory on nicotine consumption and vitamin absorption all the more interesting to me. Was I better able to absorb the extra vitamins in the Airborne because I was consuming less nic and other toxins? I wonder if there's a study somewhere that addresses this. Now you've got me curious and I'll be googling all day like a mad woman lol.

Either way, hope you feel better soon Saboteur!

knock on wood.....no cold in the last 3 years, then again, I didn't get sick often before I quit smoking.

I know for certain that I am no longer short of breath going up a short flight of stairs, and I no long sound like I'm going to cough up a lung every morning....

Propylene glycol is an air germicide so, vaping is like the mouth, throat, nose, and lung equivalent of hand sanitizer. The second hand vape is probably sanitizing some of the outside air too. I used to get sick every time I came in contact with someone that was sick. Now , most of the time, I feel the beginning symptoms of a cold/flu and vape them away. That has never happened to me before. Even when I was a child before I smoked. The beginning symptoms always lead to full blown cold/flu but not since I started vaping. Also there is the not smoking thousands of carcinogens that helps boost my immune system. That's a huge part of it but I can definitely tell that I'm vaping away colds and the flu after I have caught them.