Proper Inhalation Technique

It would seem one of the major frustrations of new users can all be boiled down to one thing… How to correctly pull vapor from an e cigarette.

Unlike a cigarette, it’s advised that you take long, slow drags on each and every owners manual, but most don’t know just how long or how slow they’re supposed to be doing it. Can I get an amen Noobies? OK Moving on…

Once newbies ‘get it’, their other e cigarette issues are secondary. There’s a lot of posts where forum members advise new users to use the proper technique, but it’s all scattered throughout the forum.

So, here you go..I’m doing a ‘guide’ based on using a MANUAL 510, which is one of most popular first models. (This is applicable to most e cigarettes)

Steps

1. Press the button for around 1-2 seconds BEFORE you start to inhale

2. Without letting go of the button, draw on the ecig slowly. Your inhalation should be at least FIVE seconds long guys!

It’s just THAT easy!

If you’re frustrated because you don’t feel like you’re getting anything, that’s because you’re probably smoking it like an analog, short, quick puffs. It’s what we’re USED to doing, but this is NOT a cigarette.

While ordering a manual PV is strongly recommended for everyone, if you have an automatic version, (where you just ‘drag’ on it to get it started), then you use the same method, you just don’t have to hit any buttons beforehand, so take a ‘primer puff’ and you’re good to go!

Bottom line is, take a LONG drag…at least 5 seconds in length

Credit: domino38 (ECF Member)

Edit By: Christopher

Great post, Christopher.

Sadly enough, my wife never caught on to the "slow and long" technique. She gave up out of frustration. What's even more sad is she can't "help" me smoke my pack of cigarettes anymore, so she's graduated to 100s.

Sorry to hear that. :(

In my experience this has been the primary reason why some go back to smoking. They don't quite grasp the concept. But, more often that not though, they'll come back around for a second try. Especially after being sick or waking up to a really bad coughing spell. Then, they're usually more determined than ever to finally switch.

I hope you're right. It's been 3 years since we discovered vaping, though she abandoned e-cigs before she got started good. Then on the few occasions I was able to get her to sample a juice she would immediately start coughing from it.

I guess old habits are really hard to break for some people.

Does it matter if you're using the direct drip, cartomizer, atomizer or a clearomizer? I just got my CE4 clearomizer and it seems to make the e-liquid harsher than I'm used to. Could be that I'm doing something wrong. *coughs*

The same procedure applies whether it is an atty, cartomizer or tanks. You learn to adjust your draw with each one from my personal experience. The CE4 clearomizer was a hit and miss when they came out. So I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think one of the complaints is it didn't wick well which might be the reason it seems so harsh for you.

The same procedure applies whether it is an atty, cartomizer or tanks. You learn to adjust your draw with each one from my personal experience. The CE4 clearomizer was a hit and miss when they came out. So I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think one of the complaints is it didn't wick well which might be the reason it seems so harsh for you.

Thanks for the information, Birddog. I don't know if this makes a difference or not but when I Googled CE4 to pin down the exact one I have, there are so many different versions. The one I'm talking about is this:

http://www.ecigbestsave.com/CE4-Clearomizers-p/ce4.htm

Of everything I've tried so far, it's by far the harshest draw I've ever experienced. It doesn't seem to matter if I hit it lightly or pull hard. *gags* :P

I will admit that I have been vaping for about 3 years and never moved forward with any of the new gear on the market. I am stuck on dripping and Boge cartomizers. I have kind of found my happy place and stuck my feet in the mud and can't convince myself to budge. If you have been vaping as long as I have and on limited funds you finally give up and stick with what works. When I started there were so many different atomizers on the market and tried them all.

So I am useless to you. :) Sorry. Hopefully someone else will jump in with their experiences with the CE4 that you have.

So I am useless to you. :) Sorry. Hopefully someone else will jump in with their experiences with the CE4 that you have.

No problem, I appreciate your help. I'm still such a noob and am stumbling around trying to find something that will work for me long term. This CE4 just came in the mail today and I'm not very happy with it so I'm back to my usual. I'm rather curious about this dripping I've heard so much about but don't have a clue how to go about it... :( You wouldn't happen to be in Southern Colorado, would you? :yes

I am located in Northern Colorado.

I take it your battery set up is for a 510. What you need for direct dripping is the good old standard 510 atomizer. I suggest the Joye brand. You will also need a drip tip, sold separately, and you can pick one up for just a couple dollars. There is a wide variety of drip tips that come in different shapes, sizes and colors. The drip tip is not necessary, but it will make your venture into direct dripping more convenient.

Christopher has a video some where on the forum that explains direct dripping. Not sure where it has gotten to lately, he has a tendency to move things around when I am not paying attention. :)

Before the tanks, clearomizers and cartomizers we all started out direct dripping. The cartridges sucked and that was our way of beating the system. It is full proof and works well. :)

I take it your battery set up is for a 510.

Christopher has a video some where on the forum that explains direct dripping. Not sure where it has gotten to lately, he has a tendency to move things around when I am not paying attention. :)

Before the tanks, clearomizers and cartomizers we all started out direct dripping. The cartridges sucked and that was our way of beating the system. It is full proof and works well. :)

I'm not sure if my battery is set up for a 510 or not. :( It's an eGo T2 pass through at 650 mAh if that makes a difference? I keep reading that direct drip gives the best "true" flavor of the e-liquid. I'll pick up some supplies and go looking for Chris' instructions. Thanks!

Cartridges and I didn't get along well at all so I gave them up rather quickly. As for fool proof... I seem to have a knack for proving people wrong on that point. *sighs* :P

eGo batteries will take the 510 atomizer :)

Just an FYI, the eGo, eGo T, eGo C and 510 all use the same fitting. So you can interchange.

Also here is the DD video: (They can all be found in this sub forum) :D

Thank you muchly for the information, Chris. Um... I did see this video you made. I think about 30 seconds in I was so busy being in awe of the wide array of e-juices behind you that I totally forgot to pay attention to what you were saying. Then, when I finally got it back together I was sidetracked by the bird chirping in the background. What kind of bird(s) do you have? Honestly, my attention span is... *wanders off toward another shiny thing* :laughing:

• 3 weeks later...

Like every other situtation in my life, my ecig experience so far is a contradiction to the norm lol. I have a clearomizer (CE4 starter kit) and find that I cough like crazy when I take the long slow drags like recommended :wallbash: But, if I take a drag shorter than the recommended 5 seconds, it's smoother than an analog and I get a nice little cloud of vapor on exhale... satisfies the "gotta have a smoke" thing for me, too. Go figure!

• 10 months later...

This incredibly simple advice was helpful to me when got my first vape:

With regards to suction, I was advised to think of using a straw. "Dragging a cigarette is like drinking a milkshake" she said, then told me to vape as if I were "drinking water with the straw". Of course, the longer duration factored in as well.

As silly as it sounded, I do think it helped, and I'd be lying if I told you I don't still think of that conversation now and again when vaping lol.

It drives me crazy the way my wife Vapes. It is funny how different we are. I take a long slow drag until I cannot take any more, inhale and exhale without holding it in at all. She hits the button, sucks the bottom out of it, inhales, hits the button, sucks the bottom out of it, inhales, and repeats about 4-5 times. Then she holds it in as long as she can, and complains about not getting enough vapor. I show her how I do it, blow out a cumulus cloud, and she gets mad instead of trying it my way lol.

Nice stories. Love them.

I smoke mine like I do a pipe or cigar. Pull into my mouth, then inhale (not all the time, tho). Not a HUGE cloud, but good tasting experience for me. That't the point of Vaping. having a good experience for oneself.

• 1 month later...

One thing I got from a clerk at one of my vape shops - she USED to have the really rough smokers cough (and you can tell it by her voice) - and she said - especially if you have a smoker's cough already - not to lung inhale the first week, to sort of give your lungs time to recover from getting assaulted by smoke. She said this while she was just sorta watching me sample (it was about our third time in the shop) and helping someone with a REALLY bad smoker's cough sample and get set up. She would cough every sample she tried, until she stopped trying to lung inhale. It takes some time for lungs to get used to water vapor, as it the size of that is larger than the smoke particles.