Fixing The Dreaded Battery That Won’T Charge

It’s happened to all of us at some point. You pull the dead battery out of your favorite mod, you place it into your charger and the light turns green. Wait, green light? WTH it’s dead! Why is the green light on? Stupid Chinese crap charger, right? No, it’s probably not the charger. It’s the protection circuit in the battery. Some of these batteries are pricey and replacing them can take a toll on your wallet.

Here’s what probably happened…

Most good batteries come with built in protection. When the battery is drained too low the safety circuit kicks in to protect the battery and more so you, from any damage. Is there a way to fix the battery? Yes, sometimes. The the following trick doesn’t always work but has saved me countless headaches.

• 1. Grab another battery of equal size and voltage (if you don’t have another, grab a 9 volt battery)
  • 2. Connect the positive and negative ends of both batteries (The second battery must be fully charged in order to repair the defective battery)
  • 3. Hold for about 3-4 seconds.
  • NOTE: Positive to Positive, Negative to Negative!

Essentially you’re “jumping” the battery. It should cause the protection circuit to “reset”. Place your defective battery back on the charger and wallah, red light icon_smile.gif

I hope this helps some of you save a couple bucks and drive a little extra life out of those mod batteries.

-Chris

post-2-0-89160200-1346213523_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Worked like a charm! This is the only simple fix I could find. Had to use a couple 9Vs, worked fast! The charger I have is supposed to reactivate batteries like this but this one wasn’t even being detected at all. Now I have an extra set of good batteries! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just did this to a brand new, out of the box, iJOY 20700 that I thought I was boned on...worked like a charm! I did it the absolute most ghetto way I could as well.....two bread twist ties and a couple pieces of Scotch tape.

Edited by tattedtrucker

• 9 months later...