Are Electronic Cigarettes Safe?

I think the question is better asked, is E Liquid safe. The short answer? Nobody really knows.

The thing is, cigarettes are so bad that smoking a rolled up dirty newspaper is probably safer than smoking a cigarette. In that respect ecigs probably are better.

If nobody knows then why are suppliers selling them? Well in my opinion it’s a step in the right direction. Currently the only alternatives to nicotine on the market are patches and gums. And if your a smoker, like I was, we all know it doesn’t always work in our favor. In my case neither worked at all. It’s been a shock and surprise for ecig users to find that almost every country and government agency is trying their hardest to bury this new technology. (Though the United States and United Kingdom citizens have fought her to defend their right to vape, so far so good) After years of searching and looking for an alternative and even joking “if there is ever a safer alternative that’s one thing but for now this is all we have” bang, out comes electronic cigarettes only to be pushed aside like a stray animal. Amazing isn’t it?

So what exactly is inside E Liquid? Well the most popular manufacture in China (DK) gives the following ingredients:

1. Propylene glycol About 80%

2. Tobacco Essential Oil Less than 5%

3. Tobacco Absolute Virginia Less than 5%

4. Tobacco Absolute, Burly Less than 5%

5. Nicotine (From Tobacco Leaf) 1-3.6%

6. 2, 3, 5 Trimethylpyrazine Less than 1%

7. 2, 3 Dimethylpyrazine Less than 1%

8. 2, 5 Dimethylpyrazine Less than 1%

9. 2, Ethylpyrazine Less than 1%

The FDA tested E Liquid and found it to be unsafe however companies questioned their testing and we’re all still waiting for the results to be published not only on their findings but their form of method.

Not to long ago popular ecig vendor Totally Wicked did their own testing on Chinese E Liquid. Many vendors all purchase their liquid from the same source. The study can be found: Here

But for now it’s up to the consumer to make the decision to vape and weigh out the pros and cons.

What about the factory, is it sanitary? Well lets take a look at our friend Leaford who actually flew over to DK in China. You can see the logo in the video.

I don't vape close to nonsmoker/nonvapers as no one knows for sure.Most articles I have read so far indicate there is negligable second hand nicotine in the room.

Yeah I never vape close to her our blow clouds her way, just curious. Would be nice to have a solid answer on this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by yeroc1982

You need to make that decision on you're own given the information provided but if I had to give an answer I'd say not to vape next to her. I don't think it's much of an issue out doors but definitely indoors.

The bottom line is, most studies show that e cigarettes are safer than cigarettes....safer is the key word here. e Cigarettes are still fairly new and while we "know" they are much much safer we can't say for sure that they are safe. Time and more studies will tell. At the moment the risk isn't worth it. At that age children's lungs are still developing and they don't have the same kind of tolerance we do. (Especially as former smokers)

I also do not vape around my children. (I have a 2 1/2 year old and an 10 month old)

You need to make that decision on you're own given the information provided but if I had to give an answer I'd say not to vape next to her. I don't think it's much of an issue out doors but definitely indoors.

The bottom line is, most studies show that e cigarettes are safer than cigarettes....safer is the key word here. e Cigarettes are still fairly new and while we "know" they are much much safer we can't say for sure that they are safe. Time and more studies will tell. At the moment the risk isn't worth it. At that age children's lungs are still developing and they don't have the same kind of tolerance we do. (Especially as former smokers)

I also do not vape around my children. (I have a 2 1/2 year old and an 10 month old)

Thanks for the info

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, it is safe to assume that they are safer than cigarettes, sodas, junk food,... The air we breathe is polluted. We have a culture of eating junk food and drinking sodas. We are already consuming things we know to be harmful and we have no reason to assume e-cigs are as harmful or more harmful than those things. The second hand vapor would obviously be even safer than vaping. I would rather vape with a child in my car than give that child a soda or a happy meal. I can understand someone rather being safe than sorry but it makes more sense to me to focus on protecting children from things we know to be unsafe. If you are already protecting them from all those things then it would make sense to protect them from the possibility of unsafe second hand vapor. It just wouldn't make sense to worry about it as much or more than all those other things. In other words, if someone won't vape around a child but would expose them to things known to be unsafe then I don't believe they are acting on reason but on the fear of the unknown.

Hey Schits, where have you been hiding? Good to see you again! I agree with much of what you're saying. Almost everything in this world is bad for you. Too much of anything can hurt you and some things are worse than others. When it comes to smoke vs. vapor, well that's a no brainer.

Hey Schits, where have you been hiding? Good to see you again! I agree with much of what you're saying. Almost everything in this world is bad for you. Too much of anything can hurt you and some things are worse than others. When it comes to smoke vs. vapor, well that's a no brainer.

I've been bouncing around at different forums for other things that I'm also interested in. I like to come back here every once in a while to see the new inventions, see what big government is up to, and see how everyone is doing.

• 3 months later...