How Long Should I Vape?

I was just sitting here vaping and patting myself on the back for my apparent success at beating cigarettes, when it occurred to me that surely, my new habit must someday be broken as well.

I've been analog free since April 8, 2012, and plan to reduce my nicotine consumption by stepping down from my current level of 18 mg, to 0 mg in 6 mg increments. Once I reach my goal of zero-nicotine (vaping for taste), what then?

I love vaping...love it more than I ever did smoking. I love the gear. I love the apparently limitless variety of flavors available. I love the cash savings over analogs. I love the whole "act" of vaping...and that's gonna be hard to quit.

If anyone here has devised a plan to use vaping as a smoking cessation tool, and not just a smoking replacement tool, I would really like to hear about it.

I am in the same boat .Been vapin over three years ,I reduced the nicotine but have grown to enjoy the tasty liquid.I don't see where it is hurtin anything ,and it doesn't cost much.I have decided to keep on vapin until it seems like it is time to quit.I figure one day soon the goverenment will get involved and the cost will go up and the options will go down and it will be time to quit then.Kind of why I reduced my nic during the first year.

I figure one day soon the goverenment will get involved and the cost will go up and the options will go down and it will be time to quit then.

Happens every time, doesn't it?

Good question and I guess it's all up for you to decide. I'm a lot like mcquinn. I've been smoke free and vaping for more than 2 1/2 years and I like the different flavors and methods of vaping. I went from 36 and 24 mg/ml juice down to 12 but I decided to vape 18mg now for the most part. I could easily quit all together now but I don't see any harm and it has been an enjoyable hobby. I've noticed that I can go a long time without vaping and not have nicotine withdrawal, not like when I used to smoke. It makes me think that the most addictive part of smoking is the nasty chemicals more than the nicotine. I don't have to worry about going back to analogs nor do I worry that I couldn't stop vaping when I want to... but I don't want to yet. My advice to someone who wants to quit all together is to first lower the nic but not necessarily all the way to zero. When you decide to stop vaping I think it will be pretty painless, especially after you've been off anologs for several months.

I've been thinking the same thing, nasty chemicals are the beasties, not the nicotine. Rixter, I wish I could give some advice about ways to quit, but I just started and its too painful to think about right now. I've heard a lot of people talk about the step down method. I've also heard of people vaping different mg juice at different times of day. I think that method also has merit.

Maybe a mix? If I was seriously thinking about quitting, I think I'd start to retrain my brain to 0 nic during the times that vaping is routine. In the morning, after dinner, driving, etc. Maybe that really doesn't make much sense, but I am following the line of reasoning for committing something to habit..That's all I got. .

I think as long as you keep the nicotine consumption in check, vape to your hearts content, although i'm still relatively new to the game. I enjoy the act and flavors very much, so until a definite reason to quit entirely presents itself, i'm happy just vaping away while trying to continue to lower my nic intake.

I started at 24mg and since i vape quite a bit, I could feel my heart beating a mile a minute by the end of the day. Let's not forget there are negative conscequences to nicotine. Increased heartrate, blood pressure, etc. It's not completely harmless. I bumped it down to 18mg, and now i'm in the process of getting down to 12mg (right now i'm about 50/50 gotta use up the old 18mg juice). If i can get down to 6mg and still get a satisfying TH i'd love to do that.

At the end of the day i'm sure everyone will have a different opinion, but the way i see it, if you enjoy something, and there's nothing to prove it can be harmful long term, why quit? We're so used to being scorned for being smokers and always having the 'end result' being quitting entirely. Whenever I say that and people suggest 'but you're still an adict' I just laugh and remind them of all the things people are "addicted" to. Caffeine, sugar, fast food, crappy reality tv (HA, way more damaging, am i right?) and no one seems to scorn those people the way that smokers are scorned. Just my 2 cents :)

^ And let's not forget alcohol and drugs! I have to pay out the *** for 'tobacco user' health insurance yet a severe alcoholic, or meth or heroine addict who doesn't smoke could get by paying much less than I. If they could keep their job that is.

</END RANT>

In two months I will be celebrating my 3rd anniversary of being smoke free - after smoking analogs for 34 years. I have no desire to quit vaping, but if anything happened that I had to quit (see above mentioned government stuff), I could do it. No way I would ever go back to analogs either. Vaping makes me happy and everyone around here wants me to stay happy (something I don't understand :ermm: ), so I plan to keep vaping. But...I could see myself quitting, too. I've gone for hours without even thinking about vaping and I never did that with analogs. I'm also known to vape a lot. If I'm sitting in front of the computer or the TV, I chain vape. I think the least I should do is vape for the same number of years I smoked. Seems like the fair thing to do. :yes I've got 31 years to go. I'll decide then.

I got curiouse a few months ago and bought a pack of Camel lights.Had to give them away.I like my house ,car and clothes not stinking anymore.A few months in I cleaned all the curtains and repainted the house,I don't have any cloth upholstered furniture so I wiped the leather down ,I like it.

Edited by mcquinn

Nana! You go girl!! I'm right there with ya. :)

I was floored when Russ of ClickBang discovered that his chain vaping amounted to a whole 15 minutes worth of vaping per day. Mamu made him a new mod with the new Russian Nivel chip installed in it, and the new chip has the ability to keep track of every second vaped. If the same counter were on a ciggy, the amount of time spent smoking would be astronomical due to the smoke that is constantly burning on the end of the one of those awful things. There is no vapor burning in between puffs, like there is with ciggys. The vapor also dissipates from the air quite quickly, unlike the lingering smoke from a ciggy.

Fifteen minutes is nothing.

Wow, 15 minutes a day. huh. That's amazing. I was worried that I was vaping way more than I ever smoked. It seems like more, because I am not leaving the desk for it but, maybe it isn't that much after all.

Congrats Nana! And to everyone else on their goals. I'm two weeks in and not bitchy. That's all I got.

Rixter, Did you decide on a quit method? I agree with the others here that if you enjoy it and it isn't hurting you, you should continue.

Rixter, Did you decide on a quit method?

I think I'll just keep spending money on gear until it completely breaks me...to the point where I can't afford nic-juice anymore. Don't you just love a good plan? :wallbash:

Edited by Rixter

Looks like your stuck with us :animier:

I certainly hope so! This is the first vaper's forum I've been a part of that has decent folks on it...some of the other forums out there seem to be full of know-it-alls, instigators, agitators, scoundrels, and trolls.

Rixter, Did you decide on a quit method?

I'm not exactly sure how my vaping story ends yet, but I did start writing the next chapter. I ordered a batch of 12 mg. Chocolate Malt from EC Blend last night. This will be my first real step-down since I quit smoking analogs, so I'm a little nervous about it.

I originally began vaping 24 mg. but it made the world spin noticeably faster, so I immediately dropped to 18 mg., and I've been comfortably there since Easter (over 4 months). I just hope that this incremental drop in nicotine isn't too painful because I really don't want to go back up to 18 mg. due to cravings.

In any event, I do have a fairly large selection of 18 mg. e-juice (and some 24 mg.) left in my cabinet to take care of the shakes, should that happen.

I dropped my nic down to 12mg as well recently and i was pleased to find that I noticed almost zero difference in throat hit when compared to my 18mg juice. Once i used up the rest of my old 18mg juice and hang at 12 for awhile i may even try 6. I'd like to go as low as possible without sacrificing throat hit.

Forever!

I think a little sin in your life probably isn't bad. More importantly I think keeping the level of nicotine in check is probably most important. So long as you're living a reasonably healthy life style I don't see vaping having any long term negative effects.

The end of this year will mark 4 years of vaping for me :)

personally i think you should quit vaping when you feel the onset of a headache coming on or when you get severely dry-mouth. another time to quit is when, no matter how much you vape, you cant get rid of that "jone'n feeling" you get in your mouth. that usually a sign that im hungry and have to quit vaping. aside from that, i vape more than i ever smoked. of course im down from 24+mg (3 years ago) to my current "somewhere between 12 and 18mg" today.

• 5 years later...

I have no plans to stop vapeing. I will cross the 4year mark in May.
I started at 32 mg then quickly to 18mg now I am at 3mg because I like the throut hit.
The way the world See's vaping we all need to know how to take care of our own.
I make my coils juice and mods. I still like to get new gear too. If it all stop's I will be covered.
To quit vaping it will have to come like smoking. When your tired if it you stop. I wish all good luck in your vaping adventure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...