Eye Twitching (Blepharospasm)

So i've noticed my eye twitching pretty regularly over the last week or so. It usually lasts for 5-10 minutes, and it seems to happen a half dozen or so times a day. It's pretty annoying so i did a quick google search on it. This article lists stress, lack of sleep, and over consumption of caffeine and the main reasons for it (3 for 3....lol) and I was just wondering if anyone knows if nicotine can contribute to that as well. Does anyone else experience this?

The simple solutions are obviously to stop stressing about work, go to bed earlier, and switch to decaf, but I'm curious if anyone else on here experiences this in any form or fashion. I've been considering switching to decaf coffee anyways since I'm a pretty heavy vaper and i figure one less addictive stimulant the better. Any thoughts?

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-make-my-eye-stop-twitching.htm

It happens to me sometimes too. I cut back on my caffeine. I still drink reg coffee, but only 2 to 3 cups a day. I now go to bed early and the stress thing..uhhh, I have Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and I take medication for that. My 14 yr old son has this twitching of the eye and he use to drink a lot of soda. He now drinks flavored water's and a very little soda.

I think lack of sleep was my biggest problem. I couple nights of going to bed early and it seems to have largely diminshed. The day before i posted it seemed to be happening a lot so i figured i'd better look into it. I'm sorry about the PTSD :( you gotta be one tough cookie to deal with that.

I think coffee and lack of sleep are reasons for eye twitching, but it could be other things too. Like eye strains, which could mean you may need glasses or a stronger lense prescription. And it can also relate to computers too, so if you use a computer too much it can cause stress in your vision.

I am glad by sleeping early you are feeling a difference, hopefully it'll go away for good!

I, too, suffer (not really SUFFER) from the exact same symptoms that the OP described. This has never happened to me before I started vaping full time, so I decided to do a little research on the subject of eye-twitches. I got the same info about laying off the caffeine, get more rest, take certain supplements that my body might be starting to need more of, etc. Even on other vaping forums, they kept saying, "Nothing to worry about...it's natural to have a little spasm every now and again." (Heard THAT before?)

Well, two months later and it's still going on, and I still can't find out why. Same eye...same twitch sensation. Don't get me wrong...I am NOT a hypochondriac. In fact, I can count the number of doctor visits for other than injuries during my adult life (I'm 47 years old) on one hand. I'm pretty active and healthy, so I just couldn't believe that it had nothing at all to do with my new found love of vaping. Also, it's really not even an aggravation, it just "is".

I think that the vaping community is more than a little hesitant to bring anything negative up about nicotine and vaping for fear that someone (insert gov't) might step in to investigate health issues and make it harder to get their supplies. Also, vapers (understandably) are SO tired of being tied to smokers in perception, and thereby can't stand to hear anything negative about nicotine (it's really NOT candy, right?) or vaping that even many veteran vapers put the blinders on to negative side-effects (unintentionally, I'm sure).

So I'm still out there looking for the answers, and I convinced that it's vape related. I still got nothin', however, and that's why I'm here making my first post on this forum.

Thanks in advance for any information that may shed some light on why this is still going on two months later

By the way, before vaping, I used to smoke two packs of cigarettes daily, so I don't really think that it's the nicotine causing these spasms. I also have made no significant changes to diet, sleep patterns, or caffeine intake. My thoughts are that it might be a mild reaction to something in the e-sauce. I've tried juice from various vendors, including straight PG, VG, and a multitude of PG/VG blends (I heard about PG intolerance), as well as flavored AND unflavored juices with AND without nic (as sort of an experiment), but never just one particular strength or blend for any extended period of time, so I never could isolate if my e-liquid theory was correct. I still vape regularly, though...and still notice that my overall health has increased dramatically since I made the switch.

Haven't found anything as far as the condition being linked to vaping, although after a couple days of going to bed earlier and going from 4+ cups of coffee a day to 1 or 2 max, it seems to have largley subsided. I made the post b/c i was a little worried after it had persisted pretty consistently throughout a day or two, plus it was flat-out obnoxious. It's almost completely gone now, and when it does start it seems to only last a couple seconds. 2 months would drive me nuts lol, have you considered making a trip to talk to your doctor about it? If you are experiencing some sort of allergic reaction you def. want to know about it sooner than later. It could be something in the juice or maybe even something in the metal of your device. Hell it could also be a new food you tried or really anything.

It's hard to find really any substantial data on vaping regardless of the condition tho because it's such a new industry. The only other thing I can think of is if you're vaping heavily at a higher nic level that could def. be the culprit as well. Hope you find a solution :-

Haven't found anything as far as the condition being linked to vaping

Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen anything linking the two either, but it just seemed like pretty odd timing that it started immediately after I began vaping regularly. I don't want to stop vaping for any length of time to see if it goes away because...well, because I LOVE to vape. It saved me from myself as far as the two pack a day thing, and since I have NO willpower, I'm afraid if I stop vaping, the smokes will start callin' my name again. LOL

Well, maybe it's nothing, and as I've said, it's not really a problem...not even noticeable to others. I've had nothing else strange happen to me since I started vaping, and if that's all that's GOING to happen, so be it. I can live with that.

• 7 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/24/2012 at 11:42 PM, Rixter said:

Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen anything linking the two either, but it just seemed like pretty odd timing that it started immediately after I began vaping regularly. I don't want to stop vaping for any length of time to see if it goes away because...well, because I LOVE to vape. It saved me from myself as far as the two pack a day thing, and since I have NO willpower, I'm afraid if I stop vaping, the smokes will start callin' my name again. LOL

Well, maybe it's nothing, and as I've said, it's not really a problem...not even noticeable to others. I've had nothing else strange happen to me since I started vaping, and if that's all that's GOING to happen, so be it. I can live with that.

I just started vaping and I also get the eye twitch after a few puffs. Never had it before so Its definitely the vape or the nicotine! 

• 2 weeks later...

This post was one of the first posts (if not THE first post) I responded to when I first started vaping exclusively. I still don't know if making the switch to vaping was the culprit, but the eye twitch eventually went away and I haven't had that problem since, so there's that. Vape on.