Vaping Indoors

So now that baseball season is here - I'll be spending quite a bit of time in the city (Chicago). The neighborhoods surrounding Wrigley Field have dozens of bars and it's party time when the cubs are playing. I've been to two games already this season and during both games I decided to vape in the [smokefree] park, nothing was said by anyone at either game.

After the first game we ended up in a bar where a friend and I were both vaping away. Went outside on the patio where we continued to vape. A woman came up and was standing behind us and a short time later one of the bouncers walked up. He asked my friend and me what we were smoking. I showed him my mod and told him what it was, he nodded and that was that. When he walked away he told the woman behind us that she had to move to the other side of the patio. She got all upset and didn't understand why she had to move and we didn't.

Then today we were in a different bar after the game and I noticed that the bouncer kept looking over as I vaped so I walked over. He asked me what I was doing and what "that thing" is. Again - no big deal.

These are the only times that I've been questioned on what I'm doing. Now I don't sit in a restaurant and pull out the PV and I don't walk around the grocery store tooting while I squeeze melons.... I even have permission to stealth vape at my desk at work and usually don't (basically that's the boss saying I can vape until someone complains then we'll get an official answer).

Is this kind of reaction typical to what you've all experienced or have you found places that won't allow you to vape?

ya, I get the occasional odd look.

Once, step outside baggage claim at the sacramento airport...non smoking apparently...security saw the 'smoke', took a few steps toward me and then chuckled and wished me a good night.

the thing I found funny is that almost everyone who doesnt know about electronic cigarettes think its some kind of gimmick infomercial type thing, where it just gives you the "look" of smoking, and has no flavr/nicotine/etc. They're always surprised when they find out theres nicotine in there

Yeah i feel like no matter what people are going to react like you're smoking an analog indoors, but if you explain what you're doing and why, people seem pretty receptive to it. If anything it's a good way to get the word out there about ecigs and how awesome they are :) happy vaping

my simple solution to this is i don't vape in area's i think it's inconsiderate to other people. at the bar i'll ask the bartender before i even pull it out if they mind, i've never been told no.

i don't ever vape

at the store

at a restaurant

anywhere where smoking would be frowned upon basically

the only place i really feel i'd want to is at a bar.

When I first started vaping, I never vaped anywhere indoors outside of my home.

Now I do it almost everywhere. I don't do it in friends homes (unless they smoke inside), and I don't do it in restaurants or stores, but almost everywhere else is fair game. Bars especially. I've never been questioned in a bar about it.

Though funny enough, I got asked to stop smoking my analog pipe in a semi outdoor bar that allowed smoking. It was completely ridiculous - but I've officially been asked to stop smoking in places that allow smoking more times than I have been asked to stop vaping in places that don't...

I hear ya - the only other place that I've vaped indoors has been a bowling alley.

I guess I should have said public place....

I have a couple friends and family members (lifelong non-smokers) that are so excited that I gave up analogs that they were almost disappointed when I didn't just start vaping in their house.

My aunt especially - she's extremely sensitive to smoke and the first time I went to her house she had me vape inside. She said she needed to be around it so that she knew if it really was better than smoking or just what I'd been telling her to get her off my back. The vapor didn't bother her a bit and she's completely fine with my vaping in her house.

My roommate is another one - he was fine with my smoking so long as it was outside. He doesn't care at all that I vape inside.

Yeah, once people know what it is, it seems like they are more accepting, But when they think you are doing something else its just strange, its hard to do everywhere without feeling strange because people still think you are smoking

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I find that as long as you're not "showing off" by trying to fog up a room, most people don't mind at all. Just hold your vapor in for a couple of seconds and you'll get your nic-fix while exhaling virtually no vapor at all.

I had this guy walk up to my car as I was getting out. He saw me vaping my Provari. He said,"I'm not a narc or anything but what are you pulling on?" I answered,"It's a customized electronic cigarette. It is nothing illegal." He said,"That thing is huge! Ha! Ha! I thought it was a new bong!" LOL I keep vape business cards and receipts with me for when cops ask the same questions.

I vape mostly in my car, at home, family's homes, and stealth vape everywhere else.