Another Ecig Explodes Wtf

I typically wouldn't link to another forum but people that don't frequent ecf should b aware of this. This is the second case of ego's exploding while charging that I've heard this year, not to mention the guy who had a mod blow up in his mouth in florida.

wtf.....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ego-type-models/274928-my-husbands-ego-exploded-14.html

If a charger is working properly it will cease charging when the batt is completely charged. I leave mine on overnight and during the day. I'm beginning to rethink my practices. My wife did have a charger melt while it was plugged into her laptop but luckily we were in the room when it happened and were able to quickly unplug it.

I do the overnight thing as well... maybe not the safest way to be doing it however. Anything is possible... you never know when a charger could fail... then you have problems! Most chargers have the little lights that tells you it is done charging when it turns green. I can't imagine leaving them on the charger longer with the green light on would hurt anything though would it??

The only battery issue I ever had was on my Joker from Vaprlife. The batteries got so hot the spring became hot and compressed. Luckily this stopped the drain on the batteries, otherwise I could have become toofless.

i agree with bob, i hope regulation starts soon. i know this will drive prices up and means big brother gets involved, but i don't want to lose teeth or have my house burn down over a damn ecig.

I don't know what to think now. I like my 2 eGo Passthrough's/batteries and my 5 volt Passthrough. I have the USB cords plugged into my laptop and only charge till the lights go off. I wonder if I'm at risk with this setup too? I don't think hers were passthrough's.

I don't know what to think now. I like my 2 eGo Passthrough's/batteries and my 5 volt Passthrough. I have the USB cords plugged into my laptop and only charge till the lights go off. I wonder if I'm at risk with this setup too? I don't think hers were passthrough's.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. Just don't charge over night.

If their was a strory on the news of someones microwave exploding would you question getting rid of yours?

Stuff happens...if you eliminated everything in your house tthat had a 1 in a million chance of catching on fire you might as well be Amish.

sent from my Ice Cream Sandwiched Gtablet

Oh I'm not gonna go getting too concerned. After all, I've been riding bikes for years and have put myself at risk with several other past activities as well. I'm fortunate to be alive as it is. I just like to gain a better understanding of things that may effect me as I tend to be a bit more cautious now. Besides, I just ordered one for my lil brother the other day.

Edited by Soberrider

I leave my batts on the charger overnight sometimes and I'm sure it is charged before I wake. Should I not be over charging like this?

I've been doing the same thing. Not only sometimes but most of the time I keep a battery on the charger long after the light turns green. I use genuine joye 1000 mah bateries. Been doing it this way since last summer with several of these batteries. I broke a few in my pocket but never blew one up. I'm not worried about it.

Oh I'm not gonna go getting too concerned. After all, I've been riding bikes for years and have put myself at risk with several other past activities as well. I'm fortunate to be alive as it is. I just like to gain a better understanding of things that may effect me as I tend to be a bit more cautious now. Besides, I just ordered one for my lil brother the other day.

Same

sent from my Ice Cream Sandwiched Gtablet

Edited by bobthesalesclerk

I think that defects are to be expected. I had a V2 battery that just wouldn't shut off when a cartridge was attached to it. It got really, really hot and I guess I was fortunate that I noticed that the light on the e-cigarette remained on. I think the best rule of thumb is to just watch it closely, at first. I, too, charge my batteries overnight and will probably just stop doing that because it's not good safety practice, at the very least.

I really despise government involvement on most issues, and I can just see where this road leads. I understand that people have to make a dollar, but I would like to think that if a product has defects, they would be taken off of the shelves and a recall would be put into effect.

Neither the chargers or the batteries are manufactured exclusively for PV's. They are in a half dozen or more electronic gadgets within our homes (most are slammed tightly up against our brains; aka: cell phones)

Neither the chargers or the batteries are manufactured exclusively for PV's. They are in a half dozen or more electronic gadgets within our homes (most are slammed tightly up against our brains; aka: cell phones)

Ha! Yeah, I was just thinking about that. I heard one of those electrocuted a boy when he answered it while it was still plugged in.

All in all, e-cigarettes are still much safer than cigarettes. Buy quality.

quality, and whether or not laptop/cell phone batteries do the same thing is a moot point. They're not in a media feeding frenzy right now, ecigs are and will continue to b for awhile. Vendors for pv's need to have a better answer for the Fed's (and frankly us as consumers) than something whiny like "well cell phones do it too!"

that's simply not a good enough answer.

breal I'm srry, but most companies simply aren't "good" enough to pull a product that's only dangerous 1 out of a million times. That's where regulation comes in, when that one time happens they hold that company responsible. Cuz when it comes down to it, I could easily say "well wasn't me, I don't care" but how would I feel if it was me? If it was you and your home or health wouldn't you be screaming for regulation?

edit because I reread that and it makes me somehow sound like I want some crazy amount o government control over ecigs, which just isn't true. I'm just saying that manufacturers NEED to correct this problem NOW, luckily so far most the ones that have exploded haven't caused serious injury (other than the poor man in Florida) but what happens when another person gets injured? The media will have a field day with it, and the big tobacco/big pharma comps will have more than enough ammo to start a much bigger fear campaign towards ecigs than they already are. And for something in its infancy it could mean the final nail in the coffin.

btw nows a good time to mention if any of you want to help us in the fight to keep vaping around one of the best (and easiest) things you can do is become a member of CASAA, go to casaa.org it takes less than 2 mins to register. Spend some time their reading they have pages set up for becoming a local leader and if you can please donate! Every little bit helps this non profit organization that is doing the most to fight for our rights!

Edited by blucavvy

I decided that I can't worry about this - as much as I wanted to. I realize that as little as I am actually home, if I wanted to charge my batteries, it was going to have to be unattended. And why pull them out when you are sleeping? How many people actually sit there and watch their charger for hours until it is done? I pop mine in the charger, and go do things in another room. How am I going to notice something is amiss that way?

I'm getting close to "outrage" at this point. If you don't want government regulation, prove you can handle it. We should know exactly what caused these explosions, and know what the manufacturers are doing about it. Do we still not know what kind of mod the first guy had? Why not? Is anyone even trying to find out?

I'm actually pretty angry about this at this point. The silence on the matter is deafening.

I just noticed I have had an ego battery charging in the usb port from the back of my computer. It has been there for almost a month, so I would say that it is safe to do that. Like I said, I forgot I had it charging and is is fine...It is a egoT battery 1000 mah and it is working fine like always.

All of this battery talk is one reason I have waited so long to get a mod. I rely on my KR808's to get me through the day. I think the safest mod for me would be a box mod, but they are difficult to find. I know about the REOs but I think I want something a little different, probably in wood.