Responding To E-Cig Bad News

I'm sure most of us heard about the explosion incident in Fl on 2/13.

I've already received emails from friends and my neighbor whom I turned onto vaping, his wife emailed a friend who called me.

Anyone else relate?

An incident like this can be socially incendiary towards the e-cig industry. How have you responded? What do you say to that

co-worker that heard the story and is fueling the fire on how dangerous this is? Events like this bring out the emotional reactions

and it seems a proper, well reasoned response is in order.

On the surface, this is devastating news to the e-cig world. This story is world-wide and will scare a lot of people. Even vapers

in other forums are worried, those who have a higher vape IQ and experience.

Thoughts?

Batteries can explode. If you use a cell phone, a car, or a laptop/tablet you are at just as much risk. There are hundreds of stories of cell phone batteries exploding and causing harm. He was using a bad MOD I am sure, possibly stacking batts, or simply not using common sense. Because e-cigs are the new hype the get bad publicity to sell papers. When cell phones now explode, you never hear of it. 20 years ago when they just hit the scene, it was huge.

Just explain how much of a freak accident it is, and don't even bother to address it. I just shrug it off. When I don't worry about it, and stick the thing they think is deadly in my mouth again and again, they stop caring. It is all mindset with them.

If you don't worry, they won't worry.

the funny thing is they are going to link it to ecigs, and not batteries, im sure many people use batteries for many different things, and sometimes near more delicate areas.

or better yet, the whole deal with cell phone signals giving you brain cancer lmao. i thought that was pretty funny

Edited by twelveday

What makes me wonder is how can this cause his teeth to get blown out? Isn't it far enough away from the face to just explode just enough to maybe cause burns on the face? It is almost as if that they would have had to have the battery in their mouth. Unless the battery exploded and everything attached got blown to pieces and caused his teeth to get blown out.

Batteries can explode. If you use a cell phone, a car, or a laptop/tablet you are at just as much risk. There are hundreds of stories of cell phone batteries exploding and causing harm. He was using a bad MOD I am sure, possibly stacking batts, or simply not using common sense. Because e-cigs are the new hype the get bad publicity to sell papers. When cell phones now explode, you never hear of it. 20 years ago when they just hit the scene, it was huge.

Just explain how much of a freak accident it is, and don't even bother to address it. I just shrug it off. When I don't worry about it, and stick the thing they think is deadly in my mouth again and again, they stop caring. It is all mindset with them.

If you don't worry, they won't worry.

I am curious as to how you are sure it was a bad mod? Perhaps you knew the victim?

i watched some batteries exploding on youtube after I heard about this news article, just because I was curious what happens when a battery does explode. It is pretty violent for something so small, the battery vents in one area of the casing which causes it to act like a little rocket with sparks and such. I also looking into safety precautions and such of the newer batteries, and they most have protections and auto cutoff or shutdown or something like that to prevent it from exploding like that, i think as safety precaution for ecig users test our mods periodically and inspect them from time to time, just to make sure nothing iffy is goin on, but it does seem like a rare concern if you're safe. I also was curious on the exact causes of an exploding li ion battery and found this

"Why do Li-ion batteries sometimes explode? Excessive current flow during charging or discharging can heat up the battery, expand the electrolyte inside, rupture the battery, ignite the electrolyte and cause an explosion.

Li-ion batteries have a nominal voltage of 3.6V and a typical charging voltage of 4.2V. Overcharging them beyond 4.3V could cause them to overheat. That is why they have safety devices, such as a fuse and a current- limiter to prevent overcurrent, a vent for pressure relief and a thermal interrupt to prevent overcharging."

from http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=16&art_id=57212&sid=16381902&con_type=1&d_str=20071120&fc=2

themoreyouknow.jpg

Edited by twelveday

This is a pretty good read on ECF.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/announcements-rules/269461-exploding-mods-update-february-2012-a.html

While not 100% verified, sounds like both of the most recent incidents were from using stacked batteries in a metal tube mod. While I haven't pitched them yet, I certainly will never use my LiFePO4s again. LOL!