What Is Happening To My Taste Buds?

I quit smoking exactly a week ago and have been vaping since (Yeah!!). During the first couple of days, I could taste the flavors really well, and some of them (i.e. kona creme from mad vapes) were too strong of a flavor for me. Now, the flavor of my ejuices seem to have become much weaker and I find myself vaping the kona creme just because it is the one I can taste the most. I thought my tastebuds were supposed to heal and work better after smoking!?

Is this a common or uncommon experience? If others have gone through this, how long before I can expect my taste buds to improve?

Thanks for any and all help.

This is pretty normal to be honest. At least for me. Sometimes you just become accustomed to the taste. (some flavors faster than others) The only thing you can do really do is switch up your flavors and go back to the flavor you stopped tasting.

could also be the percentage of the other juices. for example i ordered my 1st juice at 100% PG and the flavor is very strong. i ordered my 2nd juice at 50/50 50% PG & 50% VG and it was much much less flavorfull .

Viper Ron - I thought about that too, but even the 100% pg tastes weak now whereas it was really strong at first. I've also noticed that the coffee I'm drinking right now (which I drink everyday at work) takes weaker. I wonder if my taste buds are the process of resetting or something.

MA, No doubt your body is detoxifying and your taste-buds are kicking into gear. As others have noted, the mix of PG and VG, and the vendors % of flavorings are going to effect how your juice tastes. When you first quit analogs and start to vape, it takes anywhere from a month or two (depending on how much you smoked a day and for how many years) for your body to rid itself of toxins. IMO, you should be able to expect your taste-buds to be functioning at 100% in about two months. Until then, and as a rule of thumb, you should buy sample bottles of juice to see if you like it first. Taste is subjective, so what one person thinks is the greatest thing since peanut-butter, another will find it less than satisfying. Also, some e-liquids get better with age. If you get a juice that just doesn't cut it for you, put it in a cool dark place for a couple of weeks and let it steep. After steeping, try it again, it might taste better. Also do the same with the juices you get in the first two months of vaping. Once your taste-buds wake up, juices are going to take different. On an average e-liquids, if stored properly, will last 2 years. Now I haven't been vaping for two years, so I can't contest to this. Maybe a well seasoned vaper can comment on this subject?

Now, here is another reason you maybe noticing a decrease in juice flavor. If your atomizer is gunked up with old juice, the coils can not get hot enough. When you notice your draw is getting tighter, flavor and vapor reduction, its time to clean your atty. As a rule of thumb, its a good idea to blow out your atty once a day and between juice changes. Also, thicker juices, darker colored e-liquids, and super sweet flavors have a tendency to clog up your atomizer quicker.

Since I don't know what e-cig battery you are using and what method (device) you are using to heat your e-liquid, I can't comment on whether or not that has any cause that would change your juice taste. I do know that the ohm's of your atty will change the taste of your juice. So if you are using a LR atty and change to a standard atty, using the same juice, it is going to taste different between the two atty's.

I hope this might help you. :thumbup:

i'm right there with you, i'm at week 2, and the dfwvapor wild cherry is less and less flavorful the more i vape it, but other juices that i didn't like at first are becoming far more appealing. kona cream from sweet-vapes (probably similar to yours), was great 3 months ago when i was smoking and vaping, and it's still great now that i've quit. dfwvapor's chocolate hazlenut used to be kinda gross to me, but now it's excellent. the point is, your tastebuds will continue changing, so keep giving them new flavors and eventually it'll even out and you'll have a couple that you can use all the time. if you want a super flavorful juice, try puresmoker.com's bananaca.

Very good advice/revelation from other posters and all very true. Some of the first juices vaped after quitting analogs do not taste the same now. Two years later; the very juice I loved and used for quitting is not to my liking these days. Only vape about 5 juices (after a while, you narrow it way down) and have to switch up almost on a daily basis.

Your taste buds changed and it's not uncommon, for what I've read over the months. Sometimes I get a little frustrated with it but my favorite juice on a 3.7 device with 2.0 carto places me back in nirvana. Many a day is saved with the tried and true until taste buds kick back up again. Matching juice with delivery device is key to the whole thing for me while the battery is much less an issue. Find your favorite juice, get with LR carto, and if you have 3.7 device/battery.....it will get you through those gaps. I think we all have them?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm reviving an old topic, but I personally need a strong sweet flavor during the day. But in the mornings, I can only vape coffee flavor to compliment my cup of coffee. But within the first few days of vaping, I to noticed the taste dipping off a bit. I started exhaling through my nose, and since smell is very important to taste, I started tasting the flavors better. Now I only exhale though my nose to get the entire flavor effect. I also get a better throught hit doing that. If you haven't done so already give that a try. Also try adding store bought flavor extract or ejuice falvorings which can be bought from many ecig websites. I personally order my stuff from DYIflavorshack.com