Doctoring A Pre-Mixed Juice

Okay, so I've been contemplating getting into DIY for a month or so now (I've only been vaping about 2 months now), but haven't had a reason to go altering flavors. I get my juice from Vaporrenu, and have been very happy with everything I've gotten from them, until today.

I ordered a peppermint juice, with a double-shot of flavor, expecting it to be a very stout mint. I tried their Creme de Menthe and Doublemint Gum flavors and was satisfied with them, but I can barely smell the peppermint in this particular juice, and have been wondering if I can doctor it up with some peppermint essential oil.

I've been reading as much as I can, and have read that oil flavorings can foul attys, and don't mix with juice, which is water based. I think I'm going to get a tiny bottle of Everclear (PGA) to dissolve the oil in (1:1 ratio), and then add it to the bottle.

For anyone that's willing to offer advice, how much should I start with? I don't have a pipette, but I do have a syringe. The bottle of peppermint juice I have now is 30ml, how much should I try adding for starters? I know you've gotta take it easy with menthol flavors, because a little goes a long way, but if someone that's tried this or something similar could give me a ballpark estimate as to where to begin, I'd be most appreciative!

By the way, the blend of the juice is the "Renu blend", which according to their website is 55% PG, 38% VG, 7% electrolytes/papaya leaf extract (sweetener).

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

In most cases, yes, you're right -- oil-based shouldn't be used, but this is peppermint oil we're talking about here. People have been boiling and inhaling peppermint oil for its expectorant qualities for a very long time. In fact, during cold/flu season in our house, my wife and I frequently end up using her facial spa steamer, and putting peppermint oil in it and inhaling the vapors to help break up nasal/chest congestion.

There is no danger of developing the feared lipoid pneumonia, because in essential oils like peppermint, there are no lipids involved.

As Ericka states, never use oil based flavoring!!!!

Once you have the correct flavorings (and I am sure some of the more experienced DIY-ers will be along shortly with recommendations) use caution when mixing. do not add flavor to your 30 ML bottle of juice, get a smaller bottle and begin with smaller quantities noting the ratios you add. The last thing you want to do it foul a larger bottle, get yourself some smaller mixing bottles, 3 or 6 ML an and work several different versions to find the sweet spot you want.

Coming from someone with eosinophilic granuloma of the lungs, I ask do you really want to run the risk of vaping oil? Pneumonia is not the only possible effect you should fear. Please think again before you start DIY juice making and closely follow directions. Your health is precious and something small and seemingly inconsequential such as vaping peppermint oil can have catastrophic effects.

I realize you don't need a mom, but please think again about your choices. Best wishes Nina

Once again, I disagree... Never say never! Peppermint oil has been inhaled for many, many years. I'm simply going to use the peppermint oil, and any attempts to dissuade me from doing so is an exercise in futility. I've done my research enough to know that using peppermint oil is not going to hurt me.

Thanks for the pointer on doing things on a smaller scale, I'll make sure and do that before tweaking the whole bottle.

Coming from someone with eosinophilic granuloma of the lungs, I ask do you really want to run the risk of vaping oil? Pneumonia is not the only possible effect you should fear. Please think again before you start DIY juice making and closely follow directions. Your health is precious and something small and seemingly inconsequential such as vaping peppermint oil can have catastrophic effects.

I realize you don't need a mom, but please think again about your choices. Best wishes Nina

If this is the case, and vaping peppermint oil is such a terrible thing, then I am already screwed, because I've been boiling and inhaling peppermint oil for years...

I'm not looking to do this with other oils -- just peppermint. I just see no reason to use an imitation peppermint flavor whenever I've been using the real deal for years when I'm suffering from nasal/chest congestion with no ill effects.

To be quite frank, I'd rather vape a tiny amount of peppermint oil and have my menthol craving truly indulged, rather than go back to menthol analogs... Marlboro Smooths have been the only thing that have really satisfied my menthol craving, and while I've managed to distract myself with the flavor of the Creme de Menthe and Doublemint Gum e-juices, I really miss that minty burn that is lacking in those juices.

As said, do what you will.

I would suggest looking at the Mentha offered by VT Store or the sweet-vapes menthol which is a rather unique menthol and you can set your own "coldness" level with that. As a lifelong menthol smoker I too quickly learned menthol juices didnt work for me, but tried both of these and found them both to be a very nice flavor and a nice additive to other flavors to give them a menthol kick.

Well, since the consensus so far is "don't vape oil", I'll bite -- why?

Aside from the whole burning up attys thing, and the lipoid pneumonia, what other threats are there? Are these threats that exist with any oil at all, or only specific ones? If so, then I know quite a few people who are in trouble, because a lot of my friends are into holistic/herbal cures, and putting peppermint oil into boiling water and inhaling the vapors is a very common thing to do whenever you have head/chest congestion.

The problem is, I don't want just a straight 'menthol' taste... I was a Marlboro Smooth smoker from the time those came out, and I greatly enjoyed them BECAUSE of the smooth-yet-stout peppermint bite.

I see where you are coming from, peppermint oil has been used for many years for medicinal purposes and normally i would say go for it,

How ever after reading.

http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/forum/topic/11440-gateshead-doctor-calls-for-research-into-e-cigarettes/page__p__103214__fromsearch__1#entry103214

Sorry have forgotten how to do links, It has put me right off oil based liquids.

Do you have any double mint gum or creme de menthe left? you could mix it with or a food grade peppermint flavoring try adding a bit of that to it in a smaller bottle