A Noobie’S Guide To Batteries

miatafrank

TY, I was in the chat room last night asking for one of these guides......TY

One question, are all of those listed considered safe? Or does that list also contain some not considered safe? My local Radio Shack doesn't have a clue about rechargable batteries unless you want AAA, AA, C, D, or 9v. I don't want to order or use unsafe batteries.

These batteries are all safe with the overcharge/overdischarge protection ciricuit. Each of these batteries can be purchased as protected or unprotected. Never buy unprotected batteries.

These batteries are all safe with the overcharge/overdischarge protection ciricuit. Each of these batteries can be purchased as protected or unprotected. Never buy unprotected batteries.

thanks, I printed a copy of the chart to take with me next time.

• 3 months later...

You won't find these batteries at your local Radio Crap store either, fyi. There are many places online though... and most vendors that sell any sort of mod will likely carry batteries. Right now, the 'go to' battery for mods is the 'AW IMR' (High Drain), they are a 'safer chemistry' battery and tend to perform much better. Even though classed as 'unprotected', it's still being said that they are much safer if there is some type of battery failure. They also work really well when paired with LR attys/cartos!

Here is the basic 'warning' that goes along with them:

WARNING: There is no protection circuit on these to control under or over voltage, just an anti explosion vent. Do NOT short Circuit! A Tremendous amount of current will be released. These are "safe chemistry" cells that will never "vent with flame" or catch fire on their own as they contain little oxygen unlike LiCo cells.

:thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It is also good to check your batteries with a multimeter both before and especially after you charge them. An example would be the 18650 batteries. They should have around 4.2 volts immediately after charging and then drop to 3.7 volts rather quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

This info would be helpful to myself, as well as countless others I am sure ;)

Does anyone have any knowledge as to why AW is the recommended brand?

It seems that Trustfire is quite well represented on many vaping websites. As are some panasonics.

Would a battery such as this be useable and safe? http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-3100mAh-Industrial-NCR18650A-Rechargeable/dp/B0062ANS7O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1332660022&sr=8-7

The new panasonic is quite questionable as I don't see it being labled as protected...and being an industrial battery it just scares me a bit to use with a personal device.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Also the reason they have the overdischarge protection is because with lithium polymer batteries if you go below a certain voltage the battery is bricked and can never be charged again. It's the same type of battery they use in RC helicopters, cars, and boats.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This info would be helpful to myself, as well as countless others I am sure ;)

Does anyone have any knowledge as to why AW is the recommended brand?

It seems that Trustfire is quite well represented on many vaping websites. As are some panasonics.

Would a battery such as this be useable and safe? http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-3100mAh-Industrial-NCR18650A-Rechargeable/dp/B0062ANS7O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1332660022&sr=8-7

The new panasonic is quite questionable as I don't see it being labled as protected...and being an industrial battery it just scares me a bit to use with a personal device.

I use both AWs and Efest Purple 18650s..I get more milage out of the Efest. I also have Sonys. They are just as good imo as Sonys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...