Atomizer Failure Pictures

Vacker1229

Hey sweet pics vack. What kind of camera do you have mannnn, those are some HD pics!!!! :D Kinda makes me feel bad, the stuff i'm workin on making doesn't have anything near that good of quality.

wait, just read your reply to chris and guess it's not your cam work but, still thanks for posting the quality pics!!!!

Edited by Sean

Thats disgusting, does any1 know how long before that happens? I heard on the live talk today that cleaning with coca cola works great, and could possibly revive a dead atomizer.

I also tried using cola and it didn't do jack$hit!!

I read of a combo of 50/50 vinegar and water, heat the solution (simmer not really boiling) and soak overnight. vinegar is acidic and might cut the crud. I will give it the test and let y'all know my experience.

if the coil wire breaks - you are S.O.L. but if it can be cleaned before it breaks then yeehaw. :rolleyes: saved

use 5% distilled white vinegar and split it 50/50 with water and don't get it boiling. I just tried it and the solution turned brownish so I think this might just work. I left it in there for about 1 hour then I poured club soda over it (just cuz i felt like it) and it bubbled up a little. Now it is soaking in plain water. I don't smell vinegar but it may have a taste. Hmmm, we shall see.

use 5% distilled white vinegar and split it 50/50 with water and don't get it boiling. I just tried it and the solution turned brownish so I think this might just work. I left it in there for about 1 hour then I poured club soda over it (just cuz i felt like it) and it bubbled up a little. Now it is soaking in plain water. I don't smell vinegar but it may have a taste. Hmmm, we shall see.

Update: Yes there is a weird taste but it isn't vinegar, it actually tastes like rancid cooking oil. Hmmm, there is oil in my homemade flavorings.

Well, going forward I think I will clean atomizers once a week so there isn't any buidup and definately leave it in the solution overnight so the gunk totally breaks down and dissolves.

Update: Yes there is a weird taste but it isn't vinegar, it actually tastes like rancid cooking oil. Hmmm, there is oil in my homemade flavorings.

Well, going forward I think I will clean atomizers once a week so there isn't any buidup and definately leave it in the solution overnight so the gunk totally breaks down and dissolves.

Update: Atomizer is dead!! I have a headache from trying to draw on this thing with very little vapor. I am going to buy a case of atomizers and call it a day. Screw the cleaning. When they die -- toss it.

Update: Atomizer is dead!! I have a headache from trying to draw on this thing with very little vapor. I am going to buy a case of atomizers and call it a day. Screw the cleaning. When they die -- toss it.

a case eh.... that gives me an idea let me do some poking around maybe get a group buy of some supermini atomizers at a bulk rate...

a case eh.... that gives me an idea let me do some poking around maybe get a group buy of some supermini atomizers at a bulk rate...

Hey Royce, not a bad idea. You know that i vape the PeeWee/RN4081/NPRO model. Maybe you and I can work something out in bulk, if we can find someone that actually has them in stock. DietSmokes has them for $3.50 each but they have yet to show as available. Keep me posted what you find out.

Eagerly awaiting the results. I have a dead 901 atomizer I could experiment on if there's a chance of success.

I also heard that vinegar works great but I hear it leaves a weird after taste. I have a few penstyle atomizer laying around at home, I'll give the vinegar method a try.

Edited by Vacker1229

No luck with any cleaner. Basically if they die then they are dead. the crud builds up and cooks on and there really is not a way to remove it or desolve it. I think a weekly maintenance of cleaning in cola is the best defense.

Wish I had a better answer for you -- but no i don't.

Idea for cleaning atomizers.... wonder if my sister still has her ultra-sonic jewlery cleaner... Ill get back to you guys

I was looking around for something that would cut the yuk off the coil... It looks like baked on nicotine.. how about trying lemon juice... it shouldn't leave a bad taste like vinegar ant it is supposed to cut grease.?...... I am starting to have a fit with my atomizers... they are starting to get a strange taste in them.... just the build up I guess...

I was looking around for something that would cut the yuk off the coil... It looks like baked on nicotine.. how about trying lemon juice... it shouldn't leave a bad taste like vinegar ant it is supposed to cut grease.?...... I am starting to have a fit with my atomizers... they are starting to get a strange taste in them.... just the build up I guess...

I did try lemon juice and got no where, this stuff is clearly burnt on and fused to the coil. I do believe we should not let it get that fried onto it by routine maintenance.

My best experience was with the vinegar but it made it taste like rancid cooking oil/ grease.

• 4 months later...

I know this is a old topic but I wanted to say those are really good images.

What system do you use?

I host a few weekly Macro threads on photography forums like DPreview.com but we usually display images of insects. I use Olympus gear myself.

Hi Jim,

I wish I could take credit for pics but I did not take them, I merely borrowed them from another site when we were all talking about cleaning attys. BUT what I can do it track down where I got them cuz if i remember correctly there was a discussion regarding equipment used to take the pics.

Give me a few minutes to see what I can find.

• 3 weeks later...

Ultrasonic bath!

You can probably get one off fleabay, or similar, for about $40 / £20. They should clean the coil and the wick too. I'm waiting to buy one now. The best chemicals to use are actually petrochemical solvents and I simply wouldn't want to vape with an atomiser after using anything like that. The next best would be those chemicals that are highly acidic or very basic (alkaline)... but they can leave a really bad aftertaste too. Using a "green" sonic bath surfactant will ensure that no nasty chemicals get inside the wick to give you an unpleasant surprise (they're primarily coconut oil, amongst other things) and they're usually employed at very low levels anyway. Jeso from Vaprlife uses one, I believe, to good effect with his atties!

I hope that helps

Ta ta

J :jump: