Water In Your Lungs?

Hey

I was hit with a comment/question at work this week I didnt really have an answer too. One of the guys I work with, who is interested in starting to vape, told me that someone had told him that vaping would cause a person to have water in their lungs, and may lead to to illness like ammonia. Ive just started looking into it..if anyone has an info on this...plz post. Thanks guys

Edited by Ouster

We've talked about this a while back. No real difference as far as we can figure between this and a vaporizer, sauna...when my daughter's asthma kicked up we ran a shower hot and stuffed her in the bathroom, humid days, etc.

While I'm not a doctor I doubt its enough to fill you lungs. I can't give an exact medical responce but vaping has been around almost 5 years now, if this was the case something would have come up by now.

We do know however without a shadow of a doubt the smoking does cause cancer ;)

We've talked about this a while back. No real difference as far as we can figure between this and a vaporizer, sauna...when my daughter's asthma kicked up we ran a shower hot and stuffed her in the bathroom, humid days, etc.

+1

when i had thought about this on my own, i said; "well if a sauna is fine then this should be".

I'm not sure about the whole "PG is a disinfectant in itself", i know it's used in some of them. that could have to do with more of the effect it has on the skin though. it makes your hands soft because it absorbs water. it's thought that it makes skin soft due to pulling water to the surface of hands when you apply the disinfectant to them.

Here's me being a jerk in another discussion about inhaling PG.

http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/forum/topic/3748-pg-dangerous-are-you-kidding/page__view__findpost__p__31815

Bottom line is there were studies done with minimal inhalation to make sure fog machines were okay for actors on Broadway (I think). I think they used to pump it into a children's ward at a hospital and studied how those kids were healthier, talk of pumping it into the air at airports, etc. So I ain't too worried.

Hey

I was hit with a comment/question at work this week I didnt really have an answer too. One of the guys I work with, who is interested in starting to vape, told me that someone had told him that vaping would cause a person to have water in their lungs, and may lead to to illness like ammonia. Ive just started looking into it..if anyone has an info on this...plz post. Thanks guys

That sounds kind of ridiculous to me. Besides smoking does a lot more than ammonia. I do know from personal experience that PG and H1N1 don't mix well.

Here's me being a jerk in another discussion about inhaling PG.

http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/forum/topic/3748-pg-dangerous-are-you-kidding/page__view__findpost__p__31815

Bottom line is there were studies done with minimal inhalation to make sure fog machines were okay for actors on Broadway (I think). I think they used to pump it into a children's ward at a hospital and studied how those kids were healthier, talk of pumping it into the air at airports, etc. So I ain't too worried.

Yeah, it's not only safe, but it kills airborne viruses in the lungs within seconds.

Who is vaping a LOT of PG this winter? *Raises hand*

But yeah, as everyone else said, I doubt there is enough moisture to actually accumulate in the lungs. Obviously there will be a little bit of excess moisture, but there's probably not enough to cause problems.

If moisture in the lungs causes physical issues or even pneumonia, I am going to 1) never go to a sauna, 2) never take a hot shower (I am married so most showers are cold anyways) and 3) move out of this tropical climate (Houston).

In addition, menthol inhalers, throat sprays and french kissing will all have to be re-evaluated to protect my lungs from the dreaded water moisture.

O.k. I am being silly but my point is, o.k. if vaping puts moisture in our lungs (and it most certainly would), so what?

I've been breathing in a lot of humidity lately that makes my lungs feel like they are filling up with water. I've never had that happen with vaping. I'd much rather vape than breathe outside lately.

Your lungs will expel any excess moisture ,and the longer you have been off analogs the better they are about self cleaning.Did you mean pneumonia instead of amonia?Pneumonia is where your lungs fill with fluid.

• 5 years later...

Here are a Few posts that I found on Vaping Underground and I have Fact Checked them and they are 100% correct. Water caused by vaping in your lungs is about 10-15x less than when you hake a hot shower and about 20-35x less than a Steam room. THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR VAPERS no matter how much Fear Mongering the Big Tobacco Companies (who had my money coming in for years regardless of how dangerous their product is) and MSM want to push.. both comments are by Medical Professionals (I could not verify that, But the Info I have verified as accurate). All this talk of water in the lungs is simple SCARE TACTICS and PROPAGANDA by Big Tobacco and Big Pharma. (who stand to loose billions on smoking cessation products)

"Well let me blow up your mind with my wisdom. As a Licensed Respiratory Therapist, Yes it's true that your lungs will have water due to vaping. Yes it will increase the resistance through your airway (lungs) because of this your breathing will increase. But what MOST people don't know that your lungs will absorb those water vapor. It will go through your blood stream then your kidneys will absorb them and cleanse your body by urinating them out. Then after a break from vaping your lungs will breath back to normal again.

P.S. Your lungs will always have water(Moisture) in them. To keep it functioning."

"As an M.D., I agree 100%. On top of which, I'd expect vaping to do the actual opposite of adding excess water into the respiratory tract (lungs). With the heat produced from the atomizer/cartomizer, I would expect the respiratory tract to become dehydrated rather than become excessively hydrated, which is why replenishing with water is important for hardcore, all-day vapors.

Otherwise, like Vap3rV3nom stated, any excess fluid/liquid/etc. in your lungs will be reabsorbed into your body's circulation via pulmonary capillaries. Result? Might pee more often than usual.

Think of it this way - more water and tiny food particles get lodged in your lungs more often than you think. When this happens, very small parts of your lungs collapse to consolidate the water/food particles that are lodged in the small passageways. Medical term is "atelctasis." Tiny atelctases occur often, even on a daily basis, with everyone - how come we don't really notice it? They are so minuscule that our body amazingly compensates and rids of the tiny particles by dissolving and eventually absorbing them into our blood circulation via pulmonary capillaries (vessels in the lungs). When that's all done, the collapsed tiny part(s) of the lungs reopens and everything goes back to normal. Once it is absorbed into the blood circulation, it filters at our kidneys and we simply pee it out. Amazing, in my opinion.

Long story short - don't worry about it. Happy vaping! :vapor:"