Syringes

Walt

Hope I did this right.  Started a new topic.  If that's a booboo please let me know.

I found some 10ml blunt end syringes that use 14ga needles.  Is this needle bore large enough?  If not, please make recommendation.  Also, if someone has a great source for these, it would be great!

14ga is fine for most things, but you will find pure VG will be a little rough through them.  For pure VG, I prefer NOT using a needle, but if I have to, I try to stick to 10ga or even larger.

For flavors or pure PG, you may even find 16ga or 18ga to be sufficient (for less dripping or drops slipping through).

I found that my local (livestock) feed store carries larger size syringes (20/50ml) and they work better than the 10ml for VG. They're sterile and perfect  size for DYI ejuice. Earthling is 100% right that it would be a bugger to get straight VG thru that small a needle. I just pull out the plunger and pour the VG into the syringe to the measurement I need then put the plunger back and push it into the bottle. Works like a charm and makes measuring easy :)

Basically I use 3 syringes for a 30/60ml bottle of juice.... for larger amounts I use graduated pyrex beakers as a rule though.

1ml (for nicotine)

10 or 20ml for flavors

20 or 50ml for VG

I am planning on using the syringe for filling tanks right now.  I haven't ventured into DIY juice as of yet, although I have been musing with the idea.  There are so many recipes out there that it is daunting.  @edna I will save your post for equipment needed when I take the plunge.  @edna and @Earthling789  I see in other posts where you are both quite savvy with making your own e-juice.  Yet another beatitude of joining this forum!  I found a dozen 12Ga SS blunts on Amazon for a great price with free shipping so I'm giving them a shot for now.  

That will work :)

Kriticalmass.com has some great information but just remember that taste is subjective and what might taste good to me might not taste good to you. There are a couple of places that sell "kits" to begin learning to DYI and starting small is best until you figure out what you like.

It's a lot of fun to DYI

13 minutes ago, Edna said:

That will work :)

Kriticalmass.com has some great information but just remember that taste is subjective and what might taste good to me might not taste good to you. There are a couple of places that sell "kits" to begin learning to DYI and starting small is best until you figure out what you like.

It's a lot of fun to DYI

I have come to believe I like subtle flavors.  That is only based on one experience where I picked up a bottle that was overwhelming.  The flavors I like so far are:  Mr. e-juice Pink Lady, Cyclone Dis Dat Ish, VTMN Island, and Miss Michigan Apple.  All of these are subtle in flavor to me with a little sweet after taste.  I'll keep pokin around and see if I can get a handle on all this.  Kriticalmass.com sounds like a great starting point!

4 hours ago, cany said:

You can also pick up syringes at your local surgical supply store

Good point... and you can also score some freebies from your local Health Dept.  Thanks to the don't-ask-don't-tell drug-guidelines, if you ask for some, they have to give them to you.  Yes, they are usually just a bag full of 1ml syringes (and paperwork for rehab locations, etc.).  You can keep the standard needles and grind them down, or do what I do and leave them with the receptionist :)  And, if you know someone who works there, you can get them to toss in some additional sizes too, especially if you let them know you are using them to measure liquids accurately (and not get high) :D 

Ok, then!  Definitely got the syringes covered from many sources, lol.  I still have a batch of those left over from when my appendix blew out.  Ran around with drip bag on a pole for a month.  At least they let me go home with the mess.  Still got the pole too.  Makes a great work light.  But when I run out I have plenty of sources to reload!! 

One little trick to keep the black markings on the sides of the syringe is to cover them with Scotch Tape.  The tape will prevent the markings from rubbing off and is washable (for a couple times anyway), and then you replace it.  It will make the markings last 10-20 times longer, so you get a lot more life out of your syringes ;)   I've heard of some people covering the markings with clear nail-polish, but I've not tried that method yet, so I've no idea how well it works/lasts.

14 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

One little trick to keep the black markings on the sides of the syringe is to cover them with Scotch Tape.  The tape will prevent the markings from rubbing off and is washable (for a couple times anyway), and then you replace it.  It will make the markings last 10-20 times longer, so you get a lot more life out of your syringes ;)   I've heard of some people covering the markings with clear nail-polish, but I've not tried that method yet, so I've no idea how well it works/lasts.

Absolutely too cool!  Would have never thought of that in a kabillion years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I go to any tractor supply store. There vet dept has what you need.
I would strongly recommend saving some cash for a scale. One that goes 2 points passed the decimal point.00. There is no contamination no cleaning of 20 of them and so much quicker. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using The Vapor Talk mobile app

If you're not in a hurry to get your supplies, try wish.com
They are in China so expect approximately a month for delivery.c22726a022eff845aa4b9f2557da33bc.jpg

Sent from a galaxy far far away

Thanks @leadpipe58 and @gadget for the leads.  I'm sure I will use them at some point.  Right now I still have a butt load of 10cc syringes from when my appendix blew out and they sent me home with a pole and an iv bag.  I picked up a dozen 3cc from somewhere.  Doing pretty good with the other mixing tools too, lol.  Got a scale, an ultrasonic cleaner and a magnetic stirring plate.  Have a couple of rare earth magnetic pills on order.  Crazy how there's always another toy just around the corner.