Go above 3-4mm Inner coil diameter? With disclaimer 😀

TheChef

Disclaimer: Dont mess with thick gage wire, sub ohm builds if you dont understand battery safety and are new to vaping. 

Summarized question: Why not build coils above 3-4mm inner diameter? 

The story

"My excursion through the coil building waters."

By: TheChef 

I understand the ballance. A large id will not allow as many wraps, thus surface area, and a small id will not allow wick saturation. Thicker gage wire can be wraped more, thus more surface area at a given sub ohm.-The art of coil building at its best. One adventurous day,  I walked into a vape shop and grabbed some 20 gage wire and made a single coil with a diameter im not even going to mention, lets just say it was above 4mm to say the least. 6 wraps 20gage kanthal clocked in around .4 i believe it was coulda been even more. The cotton wick was so thick it took a few ml just to prime. Not knowing what to expect, i was welcomed to new flavors i never tasted, a thick saturated enjoyable vape. 2 vape hits the rooms air composition was like a vape shop.and, after a little session, the single 18650(yes, i already know im insane) regulated mod was getting nice hot, (read disclaimer above)the few months iv been building iv done it all from thin gage to thick, alien, twisted, i picked it up quickly. 

After 6 yrs experience I've found 3.0-3.5mm ID to work best with 22-24ga Kanthel or Nichrome wires these days..in fact that's all I use, in both RDA's and RTA's...only expedition is Clapton prebuilt coils...still run my mechs, keeping the dual coil build around 0.3-.25 ohms :)

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

It all depends on the deck you're using... many RDA's have ample space for 4mm ID and 20ga wire... but on (say) a Subtank Mini RBA deck... 26ga wire and 3mm ID is about as large as you can go without contacting the deck or sides, thus shorting it out, or not having enough room for Cotton without restricting airflow across the deck.

I've played around building some crazy coils as well... but for most of us, there are limitations on the decks we're building on... and as you said... huge ID coils require lots space, lots of cotton, and lots of juice just to keep them loaded-up (not to mention airflow like a 4-ton HVAC unit, lol)... and unless you have massive surface area and power going to those large coils... the vape will be very weak... even then, the juice in the middle of the wick never gets vaped as it only holds "space/volume" to keep juice moving along the outer edge, which is all that really gets vaporized. 

You have to maintain a balance of coil size compared to the juice you're using, deck you're building on, and the Wattage needed to get a good vape :)  For me, building a 0.8-1.4 Ohm coil with a 3mm ID gives me a very satisfying vape (flavor AND cloud) on nearly any deck I build on... and I can keep the Wattage in a very safe range for a single 18650 regulated MOD...  under 40W...  I do build dual and triple coils in the 0.5-0.8 Ohm range on my RDA's... when I use them, which is rare these days... but for me, I've found 1.0-1.4 Ohm coils built on a 3mm ID mandrel seem to work best for my RBA/RTA decks (subtank mini, Russian 91%, etc.)

It all depends on the deck you're using... many RDA's have ample space for 4mm ID and 20ga wire... but on (say) a Subtank Mini RBA deck... 26ga wire and 3mm ID is about as large as you can go without contacting the deck or sides, thus shorting it out, or not having enough room for Cotton without restricting airflow across the deck.

I've played around building some crazy coils as well... but for most of us, there are limitations on the decks we're building on... and as you said... huge ID coils require lots space, lots of cotton, and lots of juice just to keep them loaded-up (not to mention airflow like a 4-ton HVAC unit, lol)... and unless you have massive surface area and power going to those large coils... the vape will be very weak... even then, the juice in the middle of the wick never gets vaped as it only holds "space/volume" to keep juice moving along the outer edge, which is all that really gets vaporized. 

You have to maintain a balance of coil size compared to the juice you're using, deck you're building on, and the Wattage needed to get a good vape [emoji4]  For me, building a 0.8-1.4 Ohm coil with a 3mm ID gives me a very satisfying vape (flavor AND cloud) on nearly any deck I build on... and I can keep the Wattage in a very safe range for a single 18650 regulated MOD...  under 40W...  I do build dual and triple coils in the 0.5-0.8 Ohm range on my RDA's... when I use them, which is rare these days... but for me, I've found 1.0-1.4 Ohm coils built on a 3mm ID mandrel seem to work best for my RBA/RTA decks (subtank mini, Russian 91%, etc.)

I'm a DL hitter..and subohm only these days..41e3e7fd5d980b1a7e2f9eb7a34bf77c.jpg

Dual coils and wide open airflow work best for me835e34dd7ad5dc2ddb62850cd8cd0d69.jpg

Especially on my RDA's..I still like to drip, lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk