Logging in

I generally keep myself logged in to the site on my desktop and my phone, both using Firefox. Normally there is no issue, I click my link on either and check the new posts. On occasion, I fire up my laptop I got while attending college between jobs a few years ago because the wife or daughter is on the desktop. When I do that and visit VT, I am logged out on my desktop and phone, and I have to put in my user name and password every visit on both the phone and desktop for several weeks afterwards. If it was a one time thing I would think nothing of it, but it goes on for weeks. I am on day 5 since I last used my laptop, also running Firefox (first time in several months), and have to reenter my credentials every time I switch between my phone and the desktop to log in. As long as I do not log into this site on my laptop for several weeks I no longer have to re-authenticate every visit on both the desktop and phone. No other site I frequent has this issue. Any help appreciated.

hmm this should not happen no matter how many computers you are logged into. Unless something in the software has changed, you can log into as many machines as you want, I believe, without having to worry about logging out. (Though on some level this can be an issue if you forget to log out of a public machine) I use three devices (phone, desktop, office) and haven't had this issue. Debbie also occasionally logs into my account from her laptop when pulling reports for me. (and I usually stay logged in) 

We all use Chrome so I suspect this is either an issue with Firebox or you've got some funky cookie causing problems. (more likely to be the case) I would suggest clearing your cookies from all three machines (Don't delete them all, just the VT cookies. That way the forum can place an updated cookie on each device) and that should...resolve the issue.  (How to delete individual cookies here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored

If that doesn't work, let me know. I'll pull the logs and dig a little deeper into the issue. 

Actually, quick question, when you login to the device that logs you out of your other sessions are you still on your home network? (There is a security feature we have installed that prevent session hijacking, you could be triggering that security rule. We have stricter than usual rules set for the forum software because of the way we handle user data. We sacrafice convenience for security in a few unique situations) 

Actually, quick question, when you login to the device that logs you out of your other sessions are you still on your home network? (There is a security feature we have installed that prevent session hijacking, you could be triggering that security rule. We have stricter than usual rules set for the forum software because of the way we handle user data. We sacrafice convenience for security in a few unique situations) 

Not trying to rush you, just providing more info:

Have not fired up the laptop (third device) since the other day. While at home, lousy weather didn't go out this weekend, I have to re-login in on my desktop and phone each time i switch between the 2. I did turn off the wifi on my phone and log in a couple times turning wifi on after logging in, but each time I did, the desktop was logged out next time I checked.

When I went to work today, I left myself logged in on my desktop, and logged in on my phone at work. Still logged in on my desktop when I got home. Have not checked the site on my phone yet though. I know that in the past I can check the site from either my desktop or phone at home as long as I am already logged in, and don't use the laptop.

Hey Squid, 

So I was checking the logs and noticed that everything appeared to be ok.. so I contacted one of the devs from IPB and they mentioned it's a known current bug in the software since the last update we did. It's due to be patched on the next release. Knowing IPB, they're usually pretty quick so I'd say no longer than a month. I'll post back here once I apply the next set of updates. (Generally speaking the update rolls out, I test it on the VT duplicate forum, make sure all is ok and then push live. Normally takes about a day after the update is released)